Should the alternative hypothesis or null hypothesis be accepted here? Watch

JennyBing
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone,

This is the one-way, between participants ANOVA test result:

There was a significant effect of motive on culpable causation, F (2, 116) = 4.856, p <.05.

Post Hoc Tukey test results:

1) Post Hoc Tukey tests revealed that there was a significant difference between participants in the no motive (M = 50, SD = 2.75) and socially undesirable motive (M = 38.51, SD = 2.75) conditions, at p < .05. However, participants in the socially desirable motive condition (M = 47.59, SD = 2.78) did not have significantly lower culpable causation scores than those in the no motive (M = 50, SD = 2.75), and the socially undesirable (M = 38.51, SD = 2.75) conditions, at p > .05.

2) Post Hoc Tukey tests revealed that participants in the no motive condition (M = 50, SD = 2.75) obtained significantly higher culpable causation scores in the survey than participants in the socially undesirable motive condition (M = 38.51, SD = 2.75), at p < .05. However, participants in the socially desirable motive condition (M = 47.59, SD = 2.78) did not obtain significantly lower culpable causation scores than those in the no motive (M = 50, SD = 2.75), and the socially undesirable (M = 38.51, SD = 2.75) conditions, at p > .05.

On another note, should the first or second be selected for the write-up of the Post Hoc Tukey test results?

The hypotheses are:

Alternative hypothesis: Participants in the socially desirable motive condition will show significantly lower culpable causation than those in either the no motive given condition or the socially undesirable condition.

Null hypothesis: Participants in the socially desirable motive condition will not show significantly lower culpable causation than those in either the no motive given condition or the socially undesirable condition.

I am confused about whether or not I should mention the word 'scores' after culpable causation in the hypotheses as well.

I am not sure whether the alternative hypothesis or null hypothesis should be accepted, based on the ANOVA and/or Post Hoc results?

Title:

A Quantitative Study Testing Differences Between Type of Motive (No Motive Given, Socially Desirable Motive & Socially Undesirable Motive) On Culpable Causation

I don't think this title is very good. I don't know if there extra information in brackets should be included. I would appreciate any guidance on how to write a better title.

Thank you.

P.S. Tell me if I can improve on any aspects and/or if I have done something incorrectly.
tígertíger
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Although there was a significant finding between motive and culpable causation, your hypothesis specifically predicts that social desirability will correlate with lower culpable causation, which your post-hoc tests disproved. Therefore, your results have provided lots to talk about in your discussion, but did not support your hypothesis.

I would shorten your title to something like, "The effect of a socially desirable or undesirable motive on culpable causation", or even "The effect of motive on culpable causation".

Hope that helps!
JennyBing
Rep:
?
(Original post by tígertíger)
Although there was a significant finding between motive and culpable causation, your hypothesis specifically predicts that social desirability will correlate with lower culpable causation, which your post-hoc tests disproved. Therefore, your results have provided lots to talk about in your discussion, but did not support your hypothesis.

I would shorten your title to something like, "The effect of a socially desirable or undesirable motive on culpable causation", or even "The effect of motive on culpable causation".

Hope that helps!
Thank you for the help.

For the introductory paragraph in the Introduction, what should I discuss?
louieee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I believe in tolerance and keeping an open mind so tbh I'd just accept both???? I mean why not eh
JennyBing
Rep:
?
(Original post by louieee)
I believe in tolerance and keeping an open mind so tbh I'd just accept both???? I mean why not eh
I suppose you're right. In a way, it is both. Although, I am not sure if that's allowed. LOL. I'll ask to find out.
tígertíger
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JennyBing)
Thank you for the help.

For the introductory paragraph in the Introduction, what should I discuss?
In the first paragraph I would explain your key areas, e.g. "Culpable causation is... researched by... who found... etc". Then you can bring in your previous research in the area, the effect of motive, and so on.

I've got a whole post about this on my blog here. There's a post on each section of writing a report from the abstract to references which might be helpful if you need tips for any other part of the write up
JennyBing
Rep:
?
(Original post by tígertíger)
In the first paragraph I would explain your key areas, e.g. "Culpable causation is... researched by... who found... etc". Then you can bring in your previous research in the area, the effect of motive, and so on.

I've got a whole post about this on my blog here. There's a post on each section of writing a report from the abstract to references which might be helpful if you need tips for any other part of the write up
Thank you very much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.28%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.9%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.12%
No, I chose not to (166)
29.07%