starting uni single????

Watch
lachachacha
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm 18 and will be starting university this coming September.

I will most likely be starting university single (as I am now and have no potential partners lined up!)

I have no problem being single at all it's just that most people my age seem to be in serious relationships, and I'm concerned I'll be the only single person at university

I know I'm probably exaggerating, but will it matter if I'm single?
AimeeOlivia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No of course not! x Do what you want - you might even have more fun if you're single. Plus being single means you're free to meet someone brilliant if they come along
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I will also be 18 and starting uni single. I actually think its great starting single because then you're not tied down to anyone and wont feel guilty meeting someone along the way. there are thousands of people starting at each university each year so I am sure you are not the only single person so it wont matter. there are loads of events that allow you to meet someone if being single really bothers you. just because the people you know are in serious relationships doesn't mean everyone else is. seriously you're worrying about nothing
Kayleighw27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Firstly I am sure you will not feel left out at all if you aren't with someone when you start uni. I'd say the majority of people I know here are single. Also the sad truth is that many people who start uni in a relationship break up fairly soon after they've started. Long distance relationships are hard to keep going, and there does tend to be more people who cheat (have seen this happen a lot unfortunately). I'm not saying this would definitely happen to you or saying it's acceptable but everyone goes out drinking regularly, plus you end up meeting so many new people and sadly that's just what happens. So I can honestly promise you won't feel left out at all. Plus I met my boyfriend at uni and couldn't be happier so you never know
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its the norm. And single in a target rich environment!! But can you capitalise, that is the question??
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lachachacha)
I'm 18 and will be starting university this coming September.

I will most likely be starting university single (as I am now and have no potential partners lined up!)

I have no problem being single at all it's just that most people my age seem to be in serious relationships, and I'm concerned I'll be the only single person at university

I know I'm probably exaggerating, but will it matter if I'm single?
A lot people are probably single in the first few weeks, if not for the whole year.

People come in hoping to do an LDR with their partner from back home but it often fails and they become single.

Don't worry, you won't be the only single one.
Billa Bong
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i think its best to start uni single, broke up with my previous gf as she was goin to wales for uni and i just dont think long distance relationships work in the long term so yhh...enjoy, have fun (im sure you gonna do )
hopeforthebest1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am a fresher and I am single. I started uni single too. It is fun meeting new guys and most are not in a relationship but many want to be. Right now I am enjoying getting to know several different guys and not being tied to any one of them. Maybe that will change eventually. Don't forget you're going to meet many new girls to be friends with too. Will you be living in a hall? There is lots to do at uni and lots of people to meet. If you meet someone special then that is wonderful but you can have just as great an experience not being in a relationship. Its will not be like you show up at uni and everyone is in a relationship and you are the odd duck out. Most freshers are not in a relationship initially.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (40)
5.88%
Uncertainty around my education (79)
11.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
10.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (87)
12.79%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.44%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (38)
5.59%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (73)
10.74%
Financial worries (43)
6.32%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (29)
4.26%
Exposure to negative news/social media (41)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (21)
3.09%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (66)
9.71%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (54)
7.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed