The Student Room Group

Durham vs St Andrews vs Manchester

Which university is better overall?

Durham - average UK rank 6 average World rank 125

Manchester - average UK rank 30 average World rank 40

St Andrews . . .

Scroll to see replies

My vote goes to St Andrews.
Why is it better than the other scot unis?
bump:confused:
Original post by unclebulgaria

Better in which way?

Better for Research - University of St Andrews, University of Edinburgh

Better for Night Life - University of Glasgow, University of Strathclyde

Better for Employment - University of Aberdeen, RGU

Better for Student Union - University of Dundee

Better for Engineering - Heroit Watt
I thought Edinburgh was the top university overall in Scotland? What do Scots say?
I thought Edinburgh was the top university overall in Scotland?

As a Scot.

In my opinion, I would say it's a three way tie between University of Edinburgh, University of Glasgow and University of St Andrews.
St Andrews offers less prestigious courses than the other two IMO.

Look at Manchester, they do Medicine, Dentistry, Optometry, Pharmacy. Now these are prestigious subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)
You will not go wrong with any of them. Durham and St. Andrews are more reputable in the UK, while Manchester has a stronger international presence and is a research powerhouse. Manchester is also a top-targeted university by employers (source: http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/2015/graduate_market/GMReport15.pdf). As you can see, in terms of the employers' perspective, Manchester is number one when it comes to graduate recruitment, Durham claims the sixth spot, while St. Andrews is nowhere to be seen. Do not make up your mind based on league tables, they tend to be incredibly flawed with universities gaining or losing 5-10 even 15 positions in ONE YEAR. You can use them as an easy comparison tool for some data, but only a fool would choose his/her university based on league table position.

Compare the course structure of three universities, consider the social aspects, the differences in expenses, employment prospects etc. Focus on what YOU WANT and LIKE about a university and its programme, not what someone says about it on a forum. Assess the available data, forum opinions will not give you a clear answer.

I hope that helped.
Do students really believe Durham is much more reputable than Manchester? I would only say slightly more reputable, mainly in the Arts, and even then only because it has more tradition.
Do students really believe Durham is much more reputable than Manchester? I would only say slightly more reputable, mainly in the Arts, and even then only because it has more tradition.
Why do you care so much about which university students consider to be more reputable? When it comes to these three, it is like splitting hair. Each of them has its pros and cons. It is up to you to decide which university will help you meet your goals best.

How much do you care about social life? How much do you care about graduate prospects? How much do you care about the course structure? How much do you care about location? Do you care more about national or international reputation? And so on and so on...

ALL of these questions have to be answered by YOU!

Look at Manchester, they do Medicine, Dentistry, Optometry, Pharmacy. Now these are prestigious subjects.

St Andrews offer some of those? I know they definitely do Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
St Andrews do Hebrew, if that counts as a degree?

I like all those 3 universities, but choosing StA was rather a personal preference. And, here's why.

St Andrews is full of elite students coming from all over the world, many of them are from the USA. St Andrews is well respected in America, where my preferred network now is, and is viewed as a university for elite, and well-moneyed American students. I know plenty of students who have been admitted to elite US schools such us, Duke, Amherst, Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown, UVa, William & Mary and such schools who turned them down for St Andrews. If you stay in the UK after earning your degree, it might not be the best place amongst the choices. Manchester and Durham would perhaps be more ideal places.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr. Roxas
I like all those 3 universities, but choosing StA was rather a personal preference. And, here's why.

St Andrews is full of elite students coming from all over the world, many of them are from the USA. St Andrews is well respected in America, where my preferred network now is, and is viewed as a university for elite, and well-moneyed American students. I know plenty of students who have been admitted to elite US schools such us, Duke, Amherst, Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown, UVa, William & Mary and such schools who turned them down for St Andrews. If you stay in the UK after earning your degree, it might not be the best place amongst the choices. Manchester and Durham would perhaps be more ideal places.

Doesn't Edinburgh offer all this and more?
Doesn't Edinburgh offer all this and more?

Edinburgh offers it but not as much, St Andrews is more international, higher entry tariff has much higher student satisfaction etc. For example, St Andrews asks for 2000+ on the SAT from American students while Edinburgh asks for 1800+, there is a difference.

Its also a smaller university so it attracts students who want to study in a smaller town, its a different university experience for sure.

St Andrews does Medicine, and actually partners with Manchester to send its students there, it also sends students to other schools.

To be fair apart from Dentistry, I wouldn't really consider the other 2 as prestigious courses.
Original post by Okorange
Edinburgh offers it but not as much, St Andrews is more international, higher entry tariff has much higher student satisfaction etc. For example, St Andrews asks for 2000+ on the SAT from American students while Edinburgh asks for 1800+, there is a difference.

Its also a smaller university so it attracts students who want to study in a smaller town, its a different university experience for sure.

Don't Edinburgh say they prefer to look at your application and background as a whole when selecting, rather than on just grades?
Durham or St. Andrews for prestige wise... If your Scottish go to St.andrews as its free, if you're English then it's a very tough choice between them! My guess would be Durham may slightly win but very slightly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Okorange

To be fair apart from Dentistry, I wouldn't really consider the other 2 as prestigious courses.

They are more prestigious and rigorous than most courses, with almost all students going into lucrative careers £40k plus within the first few years post qualifying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending