History Or English Literature A Level ??

Watch
#JOSH45#
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Well I've decided on biology, chemistry and physics as my definite options but I'm having difficulty deciding between my fourth. I know many will say the fourth doesn't really matter but considering I'm going to have to live with it for a whole year, I'd rather not do something that makes me want to stab needles in my eyes. I know both are essay based subjects and both offer me similar skills , but which is more enjoyable/better. I know this is a very subjective but I'm just looking for people's opinions. I want to go into medicine (I don't know how relevant this is but I just thought I'd throw it out there). Which one is easier ?
which one is more interesting ? I'm better at lit but I've heard that history there's actually a formula or a method to answer the questions whereas english lit doesn't , so this gives the impression that history is easier. But the topics I'll study at a level are Tsarist Russia and The Making Of The Modern Britain (AQA exam board) neither appeal to me but if it's easy them I'm willing to suffer but english lit (OCR exam board) does seem like something would interest me more it might be harder. Which is more highly regarded? Which would be more helpful with medicine and essay writing? Which gives more knowledge? & Overall which is better ?
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If the topics in History AS don't interest you, don't do it.
#JOSH45#
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arkasia)
If the topics in History AS don't interest you, don't do it.
But if it's easier then I'll be happy to put up with it. The problem comes when it's boring and hard. If it's boring but easy then I'm fine.
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by #JOSH45#)
But if it's easier then I'll be happy to put up with it. The problem comes when it's boring and hard. If it's boring but easy then I'm fine.
Trust me, if you don't like it, then it won't be easier. If you don't have the interest, you'll find it hard to focus in lessons, work outside school, and learn key information (as well as practice). Regardless of 'difficulty', do the subject you prefer, because by the end of the year, you'll be happy you did.
#JOSH45#
Rep:
?
Trust me, if you don't like it, then it won't be easier. If you don't have the interest, you'll find it hard to focus in lessons, work outside school, and learn key information (as well as practice). Regardless of 'difficulty', do the subject you prefer, because by the end of the year, you'll be happy you did.
Don't get me wrong I love history now , I'm just not sure if I'll love those topics lol but I might be surprised
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't get me wrong I love history now , I'm just not sure if I'll love those topics lol but I might be surprised
I was going to do History A-level too, because I wanted to do the US in A2, but didn't want to do the AS (Russia and India). I decided to do Geography instead, and am so happy I made that choice.
valkyrie-grey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you have a good interest in the topics you will be doing in History, I would go for that. I did English Lang and Lit, and History and out of both, enjoy the latter much more. Then again, I am biased as I've always loved History. It is a subject that has a method and structure to the essay far more than English imo, but then again as I did Lang and Lit, I may be wrong. I had friends who did both Lit and History and they all preferred History a lot more. At the end of the day, it really depends on what you feel you would do better in and what would keep your interest because both are fairly heavy subjects. Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful!
chrissmith2468
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd suggest doing English Literature. It's as hard as History but respected slightly more. As well as this, I'm sure you'd find the texts you study in English to be far more interesting than that of the topics in History (which don't interest you).
#JOSH45#
Rep:
?
I was going to do History A-level too, because I wanted to do the US in A2, but didn't want to do the AS (Russia and India). I decided to do Geography instead, and am so happy I made that choice.
Is that because you don't like history ?
#JOSH45#
Rep:
?
(Original post by valkyrie-grey)
If you have a good interest in the topics you will be doing in History, I would go for that. I did English Lang and Lit, and History and out of both, enjoy the latter much more. Then again, I am biased as I've always loved History. It is a subject that has a method and structure to the essay far more than English imo, but then again as I did Lang and Lit, I may be wrong. I had friends who did both Lit and History and they all preferred History a lot more. At the end of the day, it really depends on what you feel you would do better in and what would keep your interest because both are fairly heavy subjects. Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful!
Did you find history hard ?
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is that because you don't like history ?
No, I love history and at one point was considering doing it for university, I just really disliked the A-level course.
#JOSH45#
Rep:
?
(Original post by chrissmith2468)
I'd suggest doing English Literature. It's as hard as History but respected slightly more. As well as this, I'm sure you'd find the texts you study in English to be far more interesting than that of the topics in History (which don't interest you).
But isn't English lit a slightly heavier work load because it requires of lot of reading around the subject to know about historical context and stuff ?
#JOSH45#
Rep:
?
No, I love history and at one point was considering doing it for university, I just really disliked the A-level course.
Oh okay
valkyrie-grey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you find history hard ?
No, not really. I studied the Tudor dynasty and Nazi Germany, so different subjects to what you would be doing. I really enjoyed it and didn't find the work at all strenuous. Nevertheless, some in the class did find it difficult especially because there was so much to learn for the exam. If you have a keen interest and are prepared to put the hours in, it shouldn't be a problem.
antisansculotte
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As someone who studies both, history is actually a lot more reading (and work).
#JOSH45#
Rep:
?
(Original post by valkyrie-grey)
No, not really. I studied the Tudor dynasty and Nazi Germany, so different subjects to what you would be doing. I really enjoyed it and didn't find the work at all strenuous. Nevertheless, some in the class did find it difficult especially because there was so much to learn for the exam. If you have a keen interest and are prepared to put the hours in, it shouldn't be a problem.
The problem I have is answering the questions (especially with the "how far do you agree with so and so" questions) & exam technique. But the fact that you didn't find it strenuous sounds quite promising. What other subjects did you take ?
#JOSH45#
Rep:
?
(Original post by antisansculotte)
As someone who studies both, history is actually a lot more reading (and work).
Ohh that's surprising, I would of though Lit would have been. Do you ever find that you struggle with answering the questions in lit and feel like you're just shooting in the dark with no real direction because that is like the only thing that I fear about english lit (the lack of structure and direction when answering exam questions) & do you think lit is more respected ?

Which one do you prefer ? & which do you find easier ?
antisansculotte
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ohh that's surprising, I would of though Lit would have been. Do you ever find that you struggle with answering the questions in lit and feel like you're just shooting in the dark with no real direction because that is like the only thing that I fear about english lit (the lack of structure and direction when answering exam questions) & why do you think lit is more respected ?
Both are equally respected, I don't feel that as much in the AS; in the AQA paper it's very easy to find a general structure. You usually end up reading 2 books, 2 sets of poems and 2 plays for your coursework per year. History is my favourite, but I would point out the English grade boundaries can be very low.
valkyrie-grey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The problem I have is answering the questions (especially with the "how far do you agree with so and so" questions) & exam technique. But the fact that you didn't find it strenuous sounds quite promising. What other subjects did you take ?
That was the main issue for many in my class although after practice you get the hang of it. I don't want you to make the wrong decision. I also don't want to seem arrogant but history has always been my best subject so I'm worried I'm being biased because I liked it so much and prioritised it over the others. With the essays you just have to get used to explaining rather than describing what happened or whatever is relevant to the question. At AS level, I did History, English Lang and Lit, Religious Studies and Sociology - so all of them were essay based.
#JOSH45#
Rep:
?
(Original post by antisansculotte)
Both are equally respected, I don't feel that as much in the AS; in the AQA paper it's very easy to find a general structure. You usually end up reading 2 books, 2 sets of poems and 2 plays for your coursework per year. History is my favourite, but I would point out the English grade boundaries can be very low.
So you found the lit exams to be easy? Why do you prefer history despite all of the positives that you've mentioned about english ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads