How can I tell my mum that I want braces again?

Watch
Gracelaura
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So about a year ago, I lost my bottom retainer and one tooth has moved dramatically (it looks a lot like Sia's tooth, if you google this) and I am REALLY self conscious about it, as I can see people just staring at it when I'm talking which is really uncomfortable. I am not able to get them done again at a low price from the NHS because I have already had braces before. Therefore, I would have to go to a private orthodontist and I have done a lot of research about them in my area and the prices etc...so I know that prices vary around £2000. I would be able to pay for this myself as I have a "savings account" and I am more than willing to pay this price. But I know for a fact that my mum would completely disagree with me because it is so expensive, so how do I persuade my mum to let me pay for braces? I would be soooo much happier and more confident if my teeth were straight again, and I am getting a job in the next few months so I could pay it off. I have a dentist appointment in June so I was hopping to tell her around that time as my dentist may mention it, and possibly reassure my mum. I'm under 18 so it's not like I can do it without her permission, by law. PLEASE HELP
Kayleighw27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sorry that this has happened to you and I really understand how much it can affect your confidence. I used to have awful teeth before my braces and I hated it. I think if you're paying for it yourself then she should accept that that's what you've chosen to spend your own money on even if she doesn't agree with it. another thing to consider, is that you may be able to get cheap(ish) treatment by being treated with clear aligners. If it is only one tooth, and you've already had braces it doesn't sound like it would be too hard to fix. The orthodontist can make a series of clear trays that guide your teeth to the way you want them. This is similar to Clearstep/Invisalign but obviously you're not paying for the brand name. Some orthodontists are only after your money but if you ask around, you might just find someone who will consider your circumstances. I've seen places that charge per aligner so look for this option if you can, as you may not need very many.
TomWas'Ere2015
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Gracelaura)
So about a year ago, I lost my bottom retainer and one tooth has moved dramatically (it looks a lot like Sia's tooth, if you google this) and I am REALLY self conscious about it, as I can see people just staring at it when I'm talking which is really uncomfortable. I am not able to get them done again at a low price from the NHS because I have already had braces before. Therefore, I would have to go to a private orthodontist and I have done a lot of research about them in my area and the prices etc...so I know that prices vary around £2000. I would be able to pay for this myself as I have a "savings account" and I am more than willing to pay this price. But I know for a fact that my mum would completely disagree with me because it is so expensive, so how do I persuade my mum to let me pay for braces? I would be soooo much happier and more confident if my teeth were straight again, and I am getting a job in the next few months so I could pay it off. I have a dentist appointment in June so I was hopping to tell her around that time as my dentist may mention it, and possibly reassure my mum. I'm under 18 so it's not like I can do it without her permission, by law. PLEASE HELP

1) look her in the eye.
2) put on a serious face
3) pull a big cheesy grin
4) hold until she notices wonky tooth
5) et voilà!

Edit: I didn't fully read.. If you complain enough to the NHS, they may possibly pay for it..

Otherwise.. Ur fcked. Should have went back for new retainers when you could have.. They give them to you for a reason..

BTW, I'm in the straight teeth from birth crew
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads