The Student Room Group

Back to back contraception!?

I currently take Microgynon 30, and only started on it 10 days ago, at the start of my period as advised. However, my periods tend to be 10 days long, meaning that I now only have 12 days before I finish the 21 pills from this month and start my 'period' again. I would really rather not have such a short space of time between my 2 periods. Would it be okay if I took a second packet Microgynon 30 tablets straight after I finish my current packet, rather
than waiting 7 days? I've seen lots of reviews of ladies taking the packets back to back but wasn't sure as this is my first time taking it! Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by emilygood9
I currently take Microgynon 30, and only started on it 10 days ago, at the start of my period as advised. However, my periods tend to be 10 days long, meaning that I now only have 12 days before I finish the 21 pills from this month and start my 'period' again. I would really rather not have such a short space of time between my 2 periods. Would it be okay if I took a second packet Microgynon 30 tablets straight after I finish my current packet, rather
than waiting 7 days? I've seen lots of reviews of ladies taking the packers back to back but wasn't sure as this is my first time taking it! Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you:smile:

I used to take this and frequently took two packets back to back to avoid having my period during holidays/events etc. It's perfectly safe to do so. Although 10 days is a very long time for you to have your period! You may want to consider something like the implant or coil which can often stop periods altogether or make them much lighter. Although Microgynon tends to make them lighter too, so I hope you find it easier now that you've started taking it :smile:
Back to back = twice as bad the next time you take your break. You'll regret it. It might actually shorten your period, so just see how this month goes (is this your first month?).
Reply 3
Original post by Kayleighw27
I used to take this and frequently took two packets back to back to avoid having my period during holidays/events etc. It's perfectly safe to do so. Although 10 days is a very long time for you to have your period! You may want to consider something like the implant or coil which can often stop periods altogether or make them much lighter. Although Microgynon tends to make them lighter too, so I hope you find it easier now that you've started taking it :smile:

Thank you, that makes me feel a little better! I'm going to go back and talk to my doctor because I found that my period was actually heavier and more painful whilst taking Microgynon 30, but at least for now I'll just be able to take it to stop the next period! :smile:
Thank you, that makes me feel a little better! I'm going to go back and talk to my doctor because I found that my period was actually heavier and more painful whilst taking Microgynon 30, but at least for now I'll just be able to take it to stop the next period! :smile:

Oh dear :frown: yes, definitely go back to your doctor. Different people will react differently to contraceptives, it's hard to predict unfortunately. But I hope you can find something that works better for you!
Reply 5
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Back to back = twice as bad the next time you take your break. You'll regret it. It might actually shorten your period, so just see how this month goes (is this your first month?).

This is my first month, but have been told by the GP that there were no adverse affects to taking it back to back. I just wanted to see other peoples experience/opinions! I'm going away on the day when I'm meant to be taking a rest which is a pain, but I'm going to take back to back packets as they've not shown any long term effects if only done occasionally!
Reply 6
Original post by Kayleighw27
Oh dear :frown: yes, definitely go back to your doctor. Different people will react differently to contraceptives, it's hard to predict unfortunately. But I hope you can find something that works better for you!

Thank you :smile:

That will happen when you have your first period after taking Microgynon. I'm now 5 months into taking it and my period had improved a hell of a lot! The first month was awful, like it almost made me want to go back to my doctor and complain about how the pill has made my period worse, but then I remembered her saying that it starts to have an affect on your period about 3 months into taking it. So be a little patient :smile: My periods used to last 7 days, now they're down to 5, pretty much 4 as the 5th is just very light spotting.
Reply 8
Original post by Novascope
That will happen when you have your first period after taking Microgynon. I'm now 5 months into taking it and my period had improved a hell of a lot! The first month was awful, like it almost made me want to go back to my doctor and complain about how the pill has made my period worse, but then I remembered her saying that it starts to have an affect on your period about 3 months into taking it. So be a little patient :smile: My periods used to last 7 days, now they're down to 5, pretty much 4 as the 5th is just very light spotting.

Oh that's good!! I have the slight complication that I'm also type one diabetic and almost everything affects my diabetes! So having long heavy periods can make me quite ill. Have you taken any packs back to back, and has it been okay?
Oh that's good!! I have the slight complication that I'm also type one diabetic and almost everything affects my diabetes! So having long heavy periods can make me quite ill. Have you taken any packs back to back, and has it been okay?

Ahh that sucks! But hopefully with the fact that they've put you on this pill, which is I think the safest one for a woman to start out on, shouldn't affect you badly. I've never taken packs back to back because I've always had enough time in between. You mentioned that you don't like the idea that you only have a short amount of time between your pills and period, but in my case when I've stopped taking the pill to have my period, it never comes straight away. It usually takes 4/5 days to come. So I'd say continue taking them as normal and see if the same things happens to you. If not, then try taking it back to back once. It's safe to do so, but at the same time could mess up your cycle.
than waiting 7 days? I've seen lots of reviews of ladies taking the packets back to back but wasn't sure as this is my first time taking it! Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you:smile:

Yup you can take the second packet back to back, but hopefully after a few months on the pill your periods should fall into the cycle of no period for 21 days, 7 day pill break where you have your period and then it stops and you go back to the pills :smile:

I used to take Microgynon, well I took it for 2 years. When I'm not on contraception my periods last the typical 5 days but they are very painful and heavy. When I started taking this pill, I had no period pains and my periods were lighter. They're not periods per se they're withdrawel bleeds, so it's quite likely that you'll only bleed for a week maximum.
I sometimes took two months back to back but then when I did I got more pains even if I wasn't having a withdrawel bleed, think it's your body's way of saying give it a break.

For health reasons I had to stop taking it, which is a pain because it was the best for me. No missed 'periods' and no irregular bleeding, just once a month during my pill free week. I've since took the mini pill and latest was the implant, which was a nightmare.

If you're going away take 2 months straight but then after have a week break every month, it won't be as bad as your regular period.
The pill takes a little while to set into your body and you will find it regulates them eventually. From experience, it can take 3-5 months for your periods to settle down and regulate so don't worry!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending