HELP!! I can't decide which University to choose!

Watch
nattaia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am really lost in deciding which university should I invest my education in.
After thorough researches (Accommodations, Uni life, modules, lecturers, lectures, student environments and etc.) I still cannot single out which one.
:confused:

I have received unconditional offers from these universities:

1. University of Bath (BSc)
2. University of Southampton (BSc)
3. University of Kent (BA)
4. University of Exeter (BA/BSc)
5. University of East Anglia (BA)

I obtained A* (History) A (Sociology) and B (Accounting). The course I am opting for is Politics and/or International Relations for all universities above.

I have read about the differences between BSc modules & BA modules - I can adapt to both.

It would be great to hear from any students who are studying in the universities aforementioned to give out guidelines or anyone who is studying International Relations &/or Politics per se.

Thank you very much.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is impossible for anyone to answer this as it depends on personal preference. all are excellent unis so wherever you go you will be in great unis. I suppose in terms of rankings it would be bath and Exeter followed by the others but there is so little difference it doesn't really matter. you could visit all of them or look at any visual campus tours. a lot depends on what kind of environment you would prefer. southampton and Norwich are the bigger cities followed by Exeter then bath then canterbury
Lucilou101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My first instinct is that Bath and Exeter have a slightly better reputation. But overall that's not as important as how much you like the places.

Are you able to visit them at all? This usually gives you a much better idea of the feel of the place, and sometimes something that sounds really good in a brochure is completely different in person.

If not, some things to consider in my opinion would be: the cost of accommodation, the distance from where you live currently, clubs and societies that are available and the set up of the university, so campus vs city etc.

It sounds like you're really considering a lot of things, so maybe try and think about what's most important to you?

Just take your time and it'll be fine
nattaia
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
It is impossible for anyone to answer this as it depends on personal preference. all are excellent unis so wherever you go you will be in great unis. I suppose in terms of rankings it would be bath and Exeter followed by the others but there is so little difference it doesn't really matter. you could visit all of them or look at any visual campus tours. a lot depends on what kind of environment you would prefer. southampton and Norwich are the bigger cities followed by Exeter then bath then canterbury
Indeed it is a difficult question to answer.

I forgot to mention this but I am an international student, so I my option to see the campuses is limited to visual touring. Would be great to hear personally from students from any of these unis how they find the environment. What they usually put on the internet may not be true! Lol!

Thank you so much for your suggestion.
nattaia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucilou101)
My first instinct is that Bath and Exeter have a slightly better reputation. But overall that's not as important as how much you like the places.

Are you able to visit them at all? This usually gives you a much better idea of the feel of the place, and sometimes something that sounds really good in a brochure is completely different in person.

If not, some things to consider in my opinion would be: the cost of accommodation, the distance from where you live currently, clubs and societies that are available and the set up of the university, so campus vs city etc.

It sounds like you're really considering a lot of things, so maybe try and think about what's most important to you?

Just take your time and it'll be fine

Thank you so much, that is really kind of you!
I second you on the matter of how things promoted online/in brochures may sound better than reality. Thus, if any students from any said universities would like to share their experiences, that would be more than great.

I'm applying for scholarship through my local government whereby all educational expenses would be paid for (accommodation, monthly expenses, books etc.) hopefully I'll get it!
Lucilou101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nattaia)
Thank you so much, that is really kind of you!
I second you on the matter of how things promoted online/in brochures may sound better than reality. Thus, if any students from any said universities would like to share their experiences, that would be more than great.

I'm applying for scholarship through my local government whereby all educational expenses would be paid for (accommodation, monthly expenses, books etc.) hopefully I'll get it!
I haven't been to Bath University, but I have visited the city which is wonderfully beautiful. If you like grand buildings, and a bustling area then this would be pretty good.

I have many friends at Southampton, they all rate it very highly. Perhaps not as pretty as Bath or Exeter, but closer to London for visiting places and from their perspective is very good for partying and does have some very nice spots.

Exeter is very beautiful in a countryside manner, lots and lots of green space and quite quiet compared to the other cities, yet still with clubs and a very good student atmosphere.

UEA has some very odd buildings, which you other love or hate. It's in its own campus out into the country slightly, I wasn't really a fan of it - but I'm sure others will disagree!

I haven't visited Kent so can't comment on it
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can give you some information. bath is a rather beautiful historic city with fantastic old buildings. the campus is high on a hill about 2 miles outside the city looking down over the city. it is a very modern campus with excellent sports facilities although my view is the campus is a little concretety. Exeter again is a lovely city with a fabulous cathedral a bit bigger than bath but not quite as many historic buildings. the main campus is about 15 minutes walk is very hilly but less concretey than bath. it is stunning far more tress and generally greener. Canterbury is again a historic smaller city with its cathedral and city wall but I have never seen the campus so am unable to comment. I am really unable to comment on the other 2. whatever I or anyone else thinks the decision must be yours as every person thinks differently
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have been to visit Kent because I also applied there but I went to the Medway campus which isn't the main campus but it's like a 40 minute drive from Canterbury. People said that Canterbury is a very small and quiet area and upon going to the applicant day I now realise this and turned down my offer from them and applied through extra as that was also an extra choice. Don't get me wrong the university has a great reputation and ranking but the social life is an important aspect for you then I suggest going elsewhere. In terms of reputation I recommend either Southampton or Exeter. They are both Russell groups aswell. I have been to Southampton several times due to having family there and it is much lively than Kent. I cannot comment on Exeter or uea because I haven't been there. But as a previous post said uea looks to be quite remote and also looks like that on the map so I'd go for Southampton or Exeter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mizzsnazzter
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bath!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ErinBliss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Single out Kent bcos it's not listed in QS and THE top 250 ranking (as required for the scholarship) & possibly UEA since it's ranked lower than the other three. I've compared the courses on unistats and not surprisingly, exeter > bath > soton in terms of student satisfaction. It is all up to you but I'd say decide between Bath and Exeter.

Ps: it's rare to bump into a fellow citizen on here and I'm also going to study in england this year. So, good luck for your interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
nattaia
Rep:
?
I have finally decided to choose Bath because of obvious reasons. (Plus, I really love the city! Beautiful!)
Now I'm onto applying for accommodation. Thank you to everyone who helped me choose!
nattaia
Rep:
?
(Original post by ErinBliss)
Single out Kent bcos it's not listed in QS and THE top 250 ranking (as required for the scholarship) & possibly UEA since it's ranked lower than the other three. I've compared the courses on unistats and not surprisingly, exeter > bath > soton in terms of student satisfaction. It is all up to you but I'd say decide between Bath and Exeter.

Ps: it's rare to bump into a fellow citizen on here and I'm also going to study in england this year. So, good luck for your interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have finally decided to choose Bath! AH lovely to bump into a fellow Bruneian here too! Which university have you opted for?
ErinBliss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nattaia)
I have finally decided to choose Bath! AH lovely to bump into a fellow Bruneian here too! Which university have you opted for?
BATH! What a good choice! Gonna be studying in Loughborough but not on a scholarship, oh well. Its June now, should already have the interview right? Good luck with the result, I must say you have a good chance. And good luck with Bath, lovely city indeed! I am so jealous
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (167)
58.6%
I don't have everything I need (118)
41.4%

Watched Threads