The Student Room Group

Interference of Acoustic Wave

I was asked to calculate the wavelength of acoustic wave from an experiment involving two acoustic sources. Which formula should I use? λ = ax/D or = d sin θ?
Original post by BrendonTSR
I was asked to calculate the wavelength of acoustic wave from an experiment involving two acoustic sources. Which formula should I use? λ = ax/D or = d sin θ?

Welcome to TSR.

What was the experiment? You need to provide more background information.
Reply 2
It was similar to Young's Double Slit experiment but with two loudspeakers as the sources. I was asked to use = d sin θ but I find λ = ax/D is easier. So can I use λ = ax/D instead of = d sin θ?
Original post by BrendonTSR
It was similar to Young's Double Slit experiment but with two loudspeakers as the sources. I was asked to use = d sin θ but I find λ = ax/D is easier. So can I use λ = ax/D instead of = d sin θ?

What did you measure in the experiment?
The two formulas have different variables that can be measured.
The second looks like the diffraction grating formula so would not normally be used for the case where there are two sources. The double slit formula would be more appropriate.
It's still a guess as you need to tell us more about the expriment and what you actually measured, or what data you have for the calculation. For example, what would be the values of n and theta if you tried to use the 2nd formula?

Quick Reply

Latest