The Student Room Group

Twin rooms in first year of uni

Hi all,

I'm going to UCL this September and I may get allocated to share a room with someone. Anyone had any experiences of this? I like my privacy usually so I'm not sure what to think about it...
The Americans seem to love the whole sharing a room thing, so there's probably something to be said for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by xleoanimusx
Hi all,

I'm going to UCL this September and I may get allocated to share a room with someone. Anyone had any experiences of this? I like my privacy usually so I'm not sure what to think about it...

Hi,

In my first year at Imperial I was in a triple room. It meant I could actually afford to study in London, and relieved me of some of my concerns regarding the cost. I was lucky that I had very studious roommates who mostly just got on with their work and left me in peace. I often had the room to myself when the others had gone out with friends, to lectures or the library. I'll admit by the end of the year I did find it a bit stressful and there were a few complications which I'd rather not go into. I was ready to move into my own room for 2nd year. That being said, I did not regret it.

Twin rooms were really common at my university and the vast majority of people I know had a good experience. People usually got very close to their roommates and respected the need for privacy.
Sharing a room seems to be relatively common in London, although not nearly as common as it is across the pond. Most people seem to be fine with it. I personally wouldn't mind a twin room in London as that would bring my accommodation costs down to what I am paying for a single room in Bristol :smile:
Reply 4
How is it possible to have a girl/boyfriend? :confused:
Original post by Josb

That's what I was thinking...when will I be able to have private time with my girlfriend. I guess you could just arrange to see your significant other when your roomate is out or something
Reply 6
Original post by xleoanimusx
That's what I was thinking...when will I be able to have private time with my girlfriend. I guess you could just arrange to see your significant other when your roomate is out or something

Basically this is what people did. Some people I know arranged to have a sleepover with a friend if their roommate had a girlfriend/boyfriend around. Other people were lucky and dated someone who had a single room. Others went home to see their girlfriend/boyfriend. If you get on well with your roommate, it's usually pretty easy to arrange something.
Original post by Josb

At some point, save up some money from a part time job etc and rent a flat somewhere within walking distance that you can share. Then the laws of university will FINALLY be restricted.
Moved to Student Accommodation.
Also (hopefully) going to UCL in Sept. Reluctantly accepting my fate that I will be sharing a room, (parents won't budge for the single and I can't blame them its £2,000 more). Oh for the heady days of 2008.......
Reply 10
dw its good banter, bear in mind most people at UCL are going to be (relatively) well adjusted to be going to this sort of uni. Although I hate the way my roommate laughs, we get on well and most of the time just forget each other's there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending