So, a THORIUM reactor is finally here!!!

Watch
Spandy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
India, which has modest Uranium reserves but huge thorium reserves, recently formally began work on a thorium- based AHWR. Should be operational by 2025.
When will we start?
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1299...nuclear-energy
http://www.itheo.org/articles/world%...actor-designed
slade p
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When I saw the thread I was wondering if it was about india, because I remember them talking about it and that they have huge reserves.
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by slade p)
When I saw the thread I was wondering if it was about india, because I remember them talking about it and that they have huge reserves.
India seems to be one of the main countries doing any research into thorium reactors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Mighty_Bush
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good news. Hopefully it can be producing energy at a good rate in the future.
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile

Good progress. India badly needs to upgrade it's energy infrastructure.
Pegasus2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
Good news. Hopefully it can be producing energy at a good rate in the future.
I think there are a lot of technological problems to overcome with it and that's partly why research was abandoned by other countries after a while.

I'm not even sure it's that good tbh.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Spandy)
India, which has modest Uranium reserves but huge thorium reserves, recently formally began work on a thorium- based AHWR. Should be operational by 2025.
When will we start?
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1299...nuclear-energy
http://www.itheo.org/articles/world%...actor-designed
If memory serves the UK is currently involved in stuff with India and Norway. I don't think we're as far as this project but if these prove successful the idea is that we'd roll out in the 2030's.
The_Mighty_Bush
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus2)
I think there are a lot of technological problems to overcome with it and that's partly why research was abandoned by other countries after a while.

If they can get it working, it'll be a great thing without doubt.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thought this was going to be about world of warcraft.

I am dissapointed.
Spandy
Rep:
?

No, it was only the USA which was involved in this area, they had a molten salt reactor from 1971-77, but it was disbanded because a thorium reactor hardly produces any weapon-grade by products. Technological problems should not be too difficult, as India has one of the most advanced thorium research facilities. Yes, initial costs are high, but one tonne of thorium can produce energy equivalent to 200 tonnes of Uranium. Further, operation is much more safer.
Spandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
If memory serves the UK is currently involved in stuff with India and Norway. I don't think we're as far as this project but if these prove successful the idea is that we'd roll out in the 2030's.
Hmm... I heard that India has this ambitious program of supplying 30% of its energy by nuclear power by 2050. This will certainly play a crucial role.
Pegasus2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Spandy)
No, it was only the USA which was involved in this area, they had a molten salt reactor from 1971-77, but it was disbanded because a thorium reactor hardly produces any weapon-grade by products. Technological problems should not be too difficult, as India has one of the most advanced thorium research facilities. Yes, initial costs are high, but one tonne of thorium can produce energy equivalent to 200 tonnes of Uranium. Further, operation is much more safer.
Whilst it does sound promising, just read the disadvantage list, it's almost endless:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_...#Disadvantages

If India could get it working it would be the stop gap untill we get fusion off the ground and i'm sure other countries would follow with them. They talk of building 60 breeder reactors just to get the process started, that's a serious load of $$$ and thats just to get the process started!
Spandy
Rep:
?
Whilst it does sound promising, just read the disadvantage list, it's almost endless:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_...#Disadvantages

If India could get it working it would be the stop gap untill we get fusion off the ground and i'm sure other countries would follow with them. They talk of building 60 breeder reactors just to get the process started, that's a serious load of $$$ and thats just to get the process started!
Rather ironically, India IS a member of the ITER project
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads