The Student Room Group

Minimum Wage Fallacy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
Actually the majority of studies haven't shown the link. It's very even and since you're trying to prove a causal link you simply have to offer concrete, strong evidence.
I don't have to prove there is no link, you're arguing that there is a causal link, you have to prove it.

It's a bit like if someone says ' guys I have a theory that wearing hats makes you do better in exams', it would be up for them to prove a causal link, not up to everyone else to disprove it.

They haven't been able to do that and many many studies have shown the impact to be negligible.
There is no solid evidence tor even strong evidence that raising the minimum wage causes unemployment. It's contentiousat best.

I have explicitly shown you research which shows that the majority of published studies on the subject show strong evidence that there is a link, and that there is very little published evidence for the absence of a link. It's certainly not 'just one study'. It's pretty decent evidence, and you have not explained why you think it is OK to ignore it.

You, in reply, have instead decided to bleat instead about the 'many, many' (but as yet unnamed) studies which prove me wrong.

Let me be clear, you are ignoring the weight of the evidence in favour of blindly reciting whatever received wisdom you read in the Guardian. It's not a very strong argument.
Original post by Rinsed
I have explicitly shown you research which shows that the majority of published studies on the subject show strong evidence that there is a link, and that there is very little published evidence for the absence of a link. It's certainly not 'just one study'. It's pretty decent evidence, and you have not explained why you think it is OK to ignore it.

You, in reply, have instead decided to bleat instead about the 'many, many' (but as yet unnamed) studies which prove me wrong.

Let me be clear, you are ignoring the weight of the evidence in favour of blindly reciting whatever received wisdom you read in the Guardian. It's not a very strong argument.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/11/the-evidence-is-clear-increasing-the-minimum-wage-doesnt-cause-unemployment

http://www.businessforafairminimumwage.org/news/00135/research-shows-minimum-wage-increases-do-not-cause-job-loss

http://americanactionforum.org/research/how-minimum-wage-increased-unemployment-and-reduced-job-creation-in-2013

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/02/14/why-economists-are-so-puzzled-by-the-minimum-wage/

http://www.iea.org.uk/blog/unemployment-and-the-minimum-wage

These are a few links also taking into account all of the reports into it.
Some studies suggest a link, some don't. The only conclusion that can be drawn is that it is a contentious issue with no real proof either way.

Since you're side is arguing for the existence of a causal link, the burden of proof is on you. The evidence for raising the minimum wage causing unemployment is hazy at best.

To argue that we shouldn't raise the minimum wage slightly on the basis of the unproven claim that it will cause mass unemployment is totally absurd.
(edited 9 years ago)
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/11/the-evidence-is-clear-increasing-the-minimum-wage-doesnt-cause-unemployment

http://www.businessforafairminimumwage.org/news/00135/research-shows-minimum-wage-increases-do-not-cause-job-loss

http://americanactionforum.org/research/how-minimum-wage-increased-unemployment-and-reduced-job-creation-in-2013

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/02/14/why-economists-are-so-puzzled-by-the-minimum-wage/

http://www.iea.org.uk/blog/unemployment-and-the-minimum-wage

These are a few links also taking into account all of the reports into it.
Some studies suggest a link, some don't. The only conclusion that can be drawn is that it is a contentious issue with no real proof either way.

Since you're side is arguing for the existence of a causal link, the burden of proof is on you. The evidence for raising the minimum wage causing unemployment is hazy at best.

To argue that we shouldn't raise the minimum wage slightly on the basis of the unproven claim that it will cause mass unemployment is totally absurd.

So what we have established is this. There is lots of evidence that the minimum wage has a negative effect on employment. Then there are lots of studies which have been unable to show a statistically significant effect, which is not of course evidence that one does not exist, and is unsurprising given the variance in economy systems.

So OK, you are right to say the link has not been absolutely proven, but there is still a pretty strong case. What we can say for certain is that your assertion earlier that there was 'no evidence' was a load of rubbish.
Original post by Rinsed
So what we have established is this. There is lots of evidence that the minimum wage has a negative effect on employment. Then there are lots of studies which have been unable to show a statistically significant effect, which is not of course evidence that one does not exist, and is unsurprising given the variance in economy systems.

So OK, you are right to say the link has not been absolutely proven, but there is still a pretty strong case. What we can say for certain is that your assertion earlier that there was 'no evidence' was a load of rubbish.

The default position is logic and reason when arguing for a causal link between x and y is that there is no link and it's up to the people claiming there is to prove it. As I said before if someone claims that 'people who wear hats do better in exams', they have to prove it, it's not up to the person questioning it to disprove it. In the same way that it is up to those who claim global warming exists to prove it for it to be accepted, not up to others to disprove it. They also can't go 'well you haven't disproven it so therefore it must be true'.

The reality of this minimum wage fallacy is that there is inconclusive data. The academic opinion is quite balanced. Some studies have shown a link, other studies have shown no link, there is no consistent unanimous academic or even statistical opinion.

One thing that's certain is there has been no strong evidence that undoubtedly proves the point.

So to argue that we shouldn't raise the minimum wage slightly on the basis of inconclusive and contentious data is silly.
(edited 9 years ago)
QFA

Do you deny though that given the complexities of the system and the time scales involved for any effect to be felt that the absence of evidence in favour of a link is not in and of itself evidence for there not being a link? You can't even say "these two countries both had the same job growth but one increased the minimum wage so it has no effect", we don't even have to look beyond our own borders to see that, for example, job growth under this parliament just gone in the East of England, just over 200,000 (about 3.4% of the population), in Yorkshire and the humber (with about 90% of the population) only about 130,000 (about 2.5% of the population) (so several of our regions have outdone the French), and the North East about 60,000 (about 2.3%)*. They've all had the same minimum wage increases but have had different levels of job creation.

*Got three regions, may as well go the whole hog and do all 9, including apprenticehips, may as well take this opportunity to glorify the party, and they're already spamming my uni email anyway so giving it to them a few more times won't matter :biggrin:
So, we have:

North West, 137,000 new jobs (1.9%) and 375,040 apprenticeships (5.3%)

East of England, 203,000 new jobs (3.5%), 200,770 apprenticeships (3.4%)

Yorkshire and the Humber, 129,000 new jobs (2.6%), 272,430 apprenticeships (5.2%)

West Midlands, 131,000 new jobs (2.3%), 266,620 apprenticeships (4.7%)

North East, 47,000 new jobs (1.8%) (card from MSEC says 60,000 and 39,000 net change, but I guess they're old figures,apprenticeship figure online is also higher), 161,550 apprenticeships (6.2%)

South East, 203,000 new jobs (2.3%), 295,700 apprenticeships (3.4%)

South West, 120,000 new jobs (2.3%), 237,960 apprenticeships(4.6%)

East Midlands, 131,000 new jobs (2.9%), 206,490 apprenticeships (4.5%)

London, 533,000 new jobs (6.5%), 198,890 apprenticeships (2.4%)

Interesting looking at that that in only two regions (one only just missing it) there have been more apprenticeships than Labour intend to create, I hope they're being idiots and saying 200,000 per year, not total, even so they're really slacking.
Hell, why not throw in the 3 non English regions too:

Wales, 52,000 new jobs (1.7%), no apprenticeships figure

Scotland 174,000 new jobs (3.3%), again no apprenticeships figure

Northern Ireland, 32,000 new jobs (1.7%), seems they only have apprenticeship figures for England

p.s. Really wish I had a third monitor to do that given it was all spread over three windows
Original post by Jammy Duel
Do you deny though that given the complexities of the system and the time scales involved for any effect to be felt that the absence of evidence in favour of a link is not in and of itself evidence for there not being a link?

I'll respond fully tomorrow and look at the data you posted. However just to reply to the above point.
With regards to logic and reasoning, if you are arguing for the existence of a causal link then it's up to you to prove that link for it to be accepted. The default position is always that there is no link.
Take global warming for example, the starting position has to be that it's not true, it is for those claiming it is true to provide evidence for their position to be accepted. The onus isn't on the other side to disprove it, they don't have to.

Broadly speaking absence of evidence must be considered evidence of absence until proven otherwise.

So with regards to the minimum wage, if you assert that as x (the minimum wage) increases then y (unemployment) increases then the onus is on those making the claim to prove it and unless it can be proven substantially it can't be accepted as true.

Now with regards to the minimum wage, there is no consensus and many different reports and investigations have shown different things. Some have shown a link, some have shown no link, some have shown something but impossible to say whether other factors were involved and skewed the result. The result of all these experiments taken in conjunction has largely been inconclusive. That's not to say it absolutely does not exist, but much stronger proof and evidence are needed before it can be accepted to be true.
To therefore argue we shouldn't increase the minimum wage as it will cause mass unemployment on the back of inconclusive, inconsistent, contested evidence is in my opinion, ridiculous.

I'll look at the data you posted tomorrow.
(edited 9 years ago)
Now with regards to the minimum wage, there is no consensus and many different reports and investigations have shown different things. Some have shown a link, some have shown no link, some have shown something but impossible to say whether other factors were involved and skewed the result. The result of all these experiments taken in conjunction has largely been inconclusive. That's not to say it absolutely does not exist, but much stronger proof and evidence are needed before it can be accepted to be true.
To therefore argue we shouldn't increase the minimum wage as it will cause mass unemployment on the back of inconclusive, inconsistent, contested evidence is in my opinion, ridiculous.

I'll look at the data you posted tomorrow.

What do you mean "some"?! ALL of them will have other factors at play and those factors will NEVER be quantifiable, well, never in that yes they are quantifiable but nobody is going to be producing an accurate and widely agreed upon figure, and that's largely the point. All the theory points to there being a relationship, but in practice it will always be hidden behind something else because of the complexities of the system and the timescale involved, and that the theory puts it as a fairly long and steady process. Well, not steady, but a pretty flat curve.

Most of the data was just an aside, an oportunity to throw in some rhetoric given it's kinda relevant. I was kind enough though to throw in the figures as a percentage of the regional population since the absolute figures aren't too useful, the South East and London have over triple the population of the North East so no wonder they have higher figures, for instance. It's also interesting to look at from a social perspective too, mainly the apprenticeship figures, that the poorer parts of the country had much higher apprenticeship rates, particularly the North East
The default position is logic and reason when arguing for a causal link between x and y is that there is no link and it's up to the people claiming there is to prove it. As I said before if someone claims that 'people who wear hats do better in exams', they have to prove it, it's not up to the person questioning it to disprove it. In the same way that it is up to those who claim global warming exists to prove it for it to be accepted, not up to others to disprove it. They also can't go 'well you haven't disproven it so therefore it must be true'.

That isn't how scientific reasoning works. Setting out to disprove things is an legitimate and vital line of scientific enquiry.

I actually don't see why you think causality is so all-important. Yes, I made an argument and I should be expected to back it up. But you also made an argument of a relationship between factors—albeit, mainly the lack of one—and should be expected to back that up too. Let's not forget, I replied initially to you saying higher minimum wages lower benefit uptake; let's see some stats for that!

The reality of this minimum wage fallacy is that there is inconclusive data. The academic opinion is quite balanced. Some studies have shown a link, other studies have shown no link, there is no consistent unanimous academic or even statistical opinion.

One thing that's certain is there has been no strong evidence that undoubtedly proves the point.

So to argue that we shouldn't raise the minimum wage slightly on the basis of inconclusive and contentious data is silly.

I'm not sure why the burden of proof is entirely upon my shoulders. If you're arguing to do something active, like raise the minimum wage, shouldn't you be able to show it will have a net positive effect?
Original post by Rinsed
That isn't how scientific reasoning works. Setting out to disprove things is an legitimate and vital line of scientific enquiry.

I actually don't see why you think causality is so all-important. Yes, I made an argument and I should be expected to back it up. But you also made an argument of a relationship between factors—albeit, mainly the lack of one—and should be expected to back that up too. Let's not forget, I replied initially to you saying higher minimum wages lower benefit uptake; let's see some stats for that!

I'm not sure why the burden of proof is entirely upon my shoulders. If you're arguing to do something active, like raise the minimum wage, shouldn't you be able to show it will have a net positive effect?

When Einstein presented his theory did we just take it as gospel or did we ask him to prove it? When people first claimed global warming did we accept it as truth or ask them to prove it? It's a bit like if I say 'guys there's this 3 headed monster singing Beatles songs in my room but only I can see it', then you said 'I don't believe it, prove it' and me going 'well can you disprove it? No therefore it must be true'

The default position in science and academia is one of 'innocent until proven guilty'. As in the link you are claiming to exist is held not to, until strong evidence proves otherwise.

The burden is largely on you because you're advocating for a causal link. I' arguing that we can't say there is a link and the overall evidence suggests that. The results have been inconclusive at best.
Until there is strong evidence to suggest that raising the minimum wage will lead to mass unemployment, it's nonsense to argue against raising it by a small amount. When we introduced the NMW in 1998, by 1999 there had been a fall in unemployment. That severely damages the claim that raising the minimum wage causes mass unemployment.
Reply 49
Original post by Sinatrafan
I'm quite concerned about the lack of debate over the minimum wage, especially in the current election climate. I really dislike the fact that there is this assumption that the minimum wage is a wonderful thing and should always be pushed higher and higher. When you actually give this issue some thought a clear argument against the minimum wage develops.

In general the MW is probably a good thing, but there is a complete lack of discussion over its negative impact. Whilst it may be a good idea it is certainly not a risk free entity and that is what I would like to raise today.

Employment
If I am an employer who is considering whether or not to employ a new member of staff I have two options. I can either employ somebody or push an extra workload on to my existing staff. The MW makes new staff very expensive (relatively speaking) and I am therefore less likely to employ somebody new than if they were cheaper.

This problem is worsened by modern employment law which effectively means it is more difficult than ever to sack an employee if they turn out to not be very good.

Being that I am faced with employing somebody who is expensive and hard to get rid of, should they not be very good, I am far more likely to be risk averse and simply offload the needed work onto my current employees. Indeed, I may choose to invest in previously uneconomical machines to replace my employees altogether as my workers become more expensive.

Inflation
Of course inflation more accurately represents an increase in the money supply rather than just market pressures pushing up prices, but there is of course an effect on the price of commodities relating to the MW.

If I am a businessman and I am forced to pay my employees more then I obviously have to recoup those loses by either firing staff or rising prices. So whilst you as an individual may be earning more, there will be a knock on effect that many of the commodities you buy with your paycheck will end up being more expensive, negating much of the improvement in your standard of living by having a larger pay packet. And indeed if I choose to fire employees instead of raise prices this further worsens the impact of the MW on employment.

Stigma
This is a far more wishy washy debate that I don't think particularly matters, but one I feel worth mentioning even if only as a theoretical downside. There is a slight stigma associated with doing a job that pays MW. Previously you may have earned £7ph for example and not been classed as MW. If the MW then rises to £7ph then all of a sudden you have had that stigma of being a MW employee thrust upon you.

Conclusion
The MW seems like a great idea for those in work, who wouldn't love more money each month right? But it's a dreadful thing for those seeking work. It puts employers off employing people (it certainly won't encourage them right?) meaning greater unemployment and more welfare claiming. This in turn means less people contributing in taxes and more people taking money in the form of benefits.

Of course abolishing the MW may lead to exploitation of individuals, but fundamentally it would lead to the creation of more jobs in the economy. The bottom line is that if I were unemployed I would much rather have a job paying £6ph than no job at all.

To stress once again, I am not necessarily anti-MW, I just dislike the way that there is no debate over its impact and it is assumed to be a de-facto wonderful thing where everyone applauds every time a rise is mentioned.

Shame you don't actually have any evidence for your ideas.
Reply 50
Original post by Rinsed
If you're arguing to do something active, like raise the minimum wage, shouldn't you be able to show it will have a net positive effect?

Well over the last 20 years there hasn't been any correlation between employment/unemployment and the minimum wage...
Reply 51
To those saying that evidence doesn't exist, even though the theory is sound, I have this to say: How do you know it didn't increase unemployment? The impact on employment is in the longer term, it's not an immediate impact. It's a case of not replacing somebody when they leave, that sort of thing, it's in a term long enough it's impossible to prove either way since what you need to ask is "if we hadn't increased it, what would things be like?", an impossible to answer question. Until the final sentence Haddock was actually talking sense, for a change. In some respects it's not dissimilar to asking the question of whether you should take the maintenance loan for greatest personal gain and somebody that doesn't actually NEED it, although at least in hindsight it's clear to see whether you were right or wrong with that one.

How longer term? Will we see the effect in my lifetime (another 50 years say)?

Why weren't their lay offs when it was introduced?
Funded by? Let me guess, more taxes on those people who are richer than whoever you ask the question "who should we be taxing more?".

It would cost less than the Universal Credit system the Conservatives are proposing.

Go and do this. Put 2 parents and 12 children in the Universal Credit calculator. See how much they get. Include a house hold rent of £450 Per Calender Month. Make sure 1 Parent is working 30 hours a week.

Should come to about £60,000 plus. That is about £50,000 + extra in benefits on top of wages.

Don't talk to me about welfare. The Conservative party are the new welfare party.

http://universal-benefit-calculator.co.uk/universalcredit
Reply 53
Original post by Europhile
Minimum wage should be like £20 per hour.

Are you on minimum wage? So the people that work really hard , what do they get? £80 an hour. It wouldn't work.
Reply 54
Vote Ed Milliband! Labour will increase minimum wage to £8 an hour. The only party that will increase it.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
It would cost less than the Universal Credit system the Conservatives are proposing.

Go and do this. Put 2 parents and 12 children in the Universal Credit calculator. See how much they get. Include a house hold rent of £450 Per Calender Month. Make sure 1 Parent is working 30 hours a week.

Should come to about £60,000 plus. That is about £50,000 + extra in benefits on top of wages.

Don't talk to me about welfare. The Conservative party are the new welfare party.

http://universal-benefit-calculator.co.uk/universalcredit

How exactly did you manage to get 60k lol?
Or did you forget that there are only 12 momths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kaatee
Are you on minimum wage? So the people that work really hard , what do they get? £80 an hour. It wouldn't work.

You're assuming people on min wage don't work hard. A lot of them do.
Original post by Quady
Well over the last 20 years there hasn't been any correlation between employment/unemployment and the minimum wage...

Well that's exactly the argument we've been having. It's an extremely debatable claim you make.
When Einstein presented his theory did we just take it as gospel or did we ask him to prove it? When people first claimed global warming did we accept it as truth or ask them to prove it? It's a bit like if I say 'guys there's this 3 headed monster singing Beatles songs in my room but only I can see it', then you said 'I don't believe it, prove it' and me going 'well can you disprove it? No therefore it must be true'

Einstein never did any work to prove his theory. He set out the mathematical framework, and left it to others to prove or disprove it. Eddington, working independently of Einstein, was able to find evidence for it. Not that Eddington's work wasn't crucial to the acceptance of GR.

The default position in science and academia is one of 'innocent until proven guilty'. As in the link you are claiming to exist is held not to, until strong evidence proves otherwise.

Anyone saying anything in academia is expected to be able to back it up, causal or not. You can't simply walk into a conference and say 'there is no strong evidence for a link between x and y' without being asked how you drew that conclusion.

The burden is largely on you because you're advocating for a causal link. I' arguing that we can't say there is a link and the overall evidence suggests that. The results have been inconclusive at best.
Until there is strong evidence to suggest that raising the minimum wage will lead to mass unemployment, it's nonsense to argue against raising it by a small amount. When we introduced the NMW in 1998, by 1999 there had been a fall in unemployment. That severely damages the claim that raising the minimum wage causes mass unemployment.

No it doesn't, in the least. The question is would employment have grown by more had there not been a minimum wage. The minimum wage was introduced at a time of strong economic growth, it would have been amazing if there had been huge rises in unemployment. But that is, frankly, irrelevant. That's exactly the type of flawed logic that permeates one side of this debate.

But your logic is very one sided. The proponents of raising the minimum wage (which certainly could have negative effects, even if it's contentious) shouldn't have to prove a thing, but it's detractors have to prove everything beyond doubt. You're the ones with an active proposition, the burden of proof should fall on that side.
Reply 59
Original post by Rinsed
Well that's exactly the argument we've been having. It's an extremely debatable claim you make.

Mind demonstrating correlation? (not even causation)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending