The Student Room Group

What's likely to be in the AS Sociology AQA Families and Households exam May 12t 2015

What are the likely questions or topics to come up in the exam?

I'm resitting. Last year all I can remember that was on it was Age and Population, and something about a beanpole family. Is this true, what was on last years paper?

But I need to know for this year so I can focus my revision more towards that.

Please tell me how you know what's likely to come up as well please.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Vidal16
What are the likely questions or topics to come up in the exam?

I'm resitting. Last year all I can remember that was on it was Age and Population, and something about a beanpole family. Is this true, what was on last years paper?

But I need to know for this year so I can focus my revision more towards that.

Please tell me how you know what's likely to come up as well please.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi, basically I think divorce and demography came up last year lool beanpole family was the two marker. and a lot of people saying this year social policy and childhood will come up because it hasn't been in the papers for a long while. I feel as though im running out of time and so tempted to not revise demography and divorce but I know karma will hit me! For some reason I actually have no clue myself what will come up this may I just keep thinking we'll be surprised.
So happy with that as hate those two and revised childhood the most so far!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Wendikorb
So happy with that as hate those two and revised childhood the most so far!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,
I hate childhood find it so hard - don't know whether you'll know but what type of childhood questions can come up? As in do you think childhood has a lot of variety in regards to exam questions (e.g I personally think social policy questions are limited - theres not a huge variety of questions they can ask us on SP because the content in that topic is quite a small amount) - I checked the past exams and I think its only once that childhood came up.
Reply 5
Hi all,

I found my script I sent off for and think that I've worked out what the questions last year were:

06 Beanpole Family
07 How men oppress women within the family
08 Identify 3 features of a symmetrical family
09 marriage and divorce rate changes within the past 50 years
10 ageing population

Is it therefore safe to pretty much write any of these coming back up in the paper this year? I can't be bothered to learn Aging population as I'm practically sure that shouldn't appear?

It does seem like SP will come up, was reading what people thought would come up last year and teacher were saying that and it didn't, and I assume childhood will as a few of you were saying it. Any ideas on what theories might come up?

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Vidal16
Hi all,

I found my script I sent off for and think that I've worked out what the questions last year were:

06 Beanpole Family
10 ageing population

Is it therefore safe to pretty much write any of these coming back up in the paper this year? I can't be bothered to learn Aging population as I'm practically sure that shouldn't appear?

It does seem like SP will come up, was reading what people thought would come up last year and teacher were saying that and it didn't, and I assume childhood will as a few of you were saying it. Any ideas on what theories might come up?

Thanks

Hey, yes those were the exact questions that came up. Basically this is what I'm doing only because I don't have enough time though - im going to revise demography(birth rate / death) but NOT ageing population. As examiners will not repeat ageing population again but maybe other parts within demography. I'm revising changing family patterns but ONLY cohabitation not marriage and divorce.
Hopefully this does not backfire - dou think this is a good idea? Yeah have a huge feeling childhood will come up and I'm so scared - any idea on what the question might be related to e.g social construction/status of child/ etc ? In relation to theories what do you mean :/
Reply 7
Okay, yea that sounds like a good shout, don't bother with Ageing Population and marriage and divorce.

For the childhood part, I haven't got to that bit of the course to revise yet, as I'm an external student re-sitting and can't remember hardly anything from Family so have started again completely haha. Maybe search through google and see what people say about what they think might come up?

For theories like, Marxism, Functionalism, Postmod etc. which do you think might come up?
Reply 8
Original post by Vidal16
Hi all,

06 Beanpole Family
10 ageing population

Thanks

Wow that paper was a bit hard.....
What the hell is beanpole family? LOL
Never come across that before?
Reply 9
Original post by sk942015
Hey, yes those were the exact questions that came up. Basically this is what I'm doing only because I don't have enough time though - im going to revise demography(birth rate / death) but NOT ageing population. As examiners will not repeat ageing population again but maybe other parts within demography. I'm revising changing family patterns but ONLY cohabitation not marriage and divorce.
Hopefully this does not backfire - dou think this is a good idea? Yeah have a huge feeling childhood will come up and I'm so scared - any idea on what the question might be related to e.g social construction/status of child/ etc ? In relation to theories what do you mean :/

Why haven't you got time? There are 6 topics and you have about a month. I am told that its rare that AQA repeat questions but its also a risk to miss some out....
Yeah childhood is quiet hard.....I have made notes on it...just have to learn them! I think the main thing is childhood in the west vs medieval times, and childhood today, toxic childhood, future of childhood. Its not that hard when you keep reading it!
Reply 10
Original post by Vidal16
Okay, yea that sounds like a good shout, don't bother with Ageing Population and marriage and divorce.

For the childhood part, I haven't got to that bit of the course to revise yet, as I'm an external student re-sitting and can't remember hardly anything from Family so have started again completely haha. Maybe search through google and see what people say about what they think might come up?

For theories like, Marxism, Functionalism, Postmod etc. which do you think might come up?

Marxism and Functionalism have come up in 2012. Can't see them coming up. Post modernism has also come up!
Its risky to guess what may come up...just try and learn as much as you can. I agree though..so much to learn. Demography also sucks because so many facts and dates! Might miss that out tbh!
Reply 11
Original post by xxvine
Marxism and Functionalism have come up in 2012. Can't see them coming up. Post modernism has also come up!
Its risky to guess what may come up...just try and learn as much as you can. I agree though..so much to learn. Demography also sucks because so many facts and dates! Might miss that out tbh!

Do you think feminism might come up then if Marxism, functionalism and post mod have all recently come up? There's SO much for demography it's gonna be annoying if it comes up
What are the key things you need to know for childhood?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
Why haven't you got time? There are 6 topics and you have about a month. I am told that its rare that AQA repeat questions but its also a risk to miss some out....
Yeah childhood is quiet hard.....I have made notes on it...just have to learn them! I think the main thing is childhood in the west vs medieval times, and childhood today, toxic childhood, future of childhood. Its not that hard when you keep reading it!

I have other exams that's why :frown: and I'm falling behind big time. Also please could you tell me what the exact 6 topics are?? Demography, childhood, family diversity, changing family patterns and social policy? :/ I just checked all past papers they've never repeated a question not following year anyways. I won't totally disregard topics like demography and changing family patterns but just subjects within those topics (only ones that came up last year) I know your saying its risky but for some reason I just don't see why they would repeat questions it doesn't make sense to me.
With childhood I just get confused on making the criticisms that it tbh.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xxvine
Wow that paper was a bit hard.....
What the hell is beanpole family? LOL
Never come across that before?

It actually was REALLY easy compared to others. But everyone's different and their strengths lie on different topics I guess. Beanpole family is when you have grandparents or something lool.
Reply 15
Original post by sk942015
I have other exams that's why :frown: and I'm falling behind big time. Also please could you tell me what the exact 6 topics are?? Demography, childhood, family diversity, changing family patterns and social policy? :/ I just checked all past papers they've never repeated a question not following year anyways. I won't totally disregard topics like demography and changing family patterns but just subjects within those topics (only ones that came up last year) I know your saying its risky but for some reason I just don't see why they would repeat questions it doesn't make sense to me.
With childhood I just get confused on making the criticisms that it tbh.

The topics are I think....
Couples - includes domestic violence
Childhood
Theories of the family
Demography
Family Diversity
Social Policy

Criticisims of childhood - Toxic childhood, Palmer 2006, etc...
Compare childhood in the west to childhood in third world countries....e.g more responsibility, child sex laws viewed differently etc...mini adults
Alot you can talk about! Don't stress
Reply 16
So it seems everyone is pretty certain Childhood and Social Policy are coming up for the essays?

Any clues on the earlier questions?
Reply 17
Chapter 6, Postmodernism has not came up in a while so I think it could come too! Also Childhood, I agree has a high chance of coming up
Reply 18
Original post by tinak96
Chapter 6, Postmodernism has not came up in a while so I think it could come too! Also Childhood, I agree has a high chance of coming up

It has! It came up in 2013, January
Reply 19
hi

i am studying the following topics for the aqa exam

families and household
education
research methods.

Can someone please provide me with revision materials and essays

It would really help me out.

Thanks

Quick Reply