The Student Room Group

Edexcel International A Level Biology Unit 6 ( WBI06)- 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

I've got predictions for unit 6 question 1! Question 3 however shows no trend so just be ready. Mind you my predictions are based on nothing but the fact that these experiments haven't come up before so here we go.
Question 1

June 10- Beetroot
Jan 11- Antibiotics
June 11- Temp effect on brine shrimps/seedlings
Jan 12- Respirometer
June 12- Ecology
Jan 13- Vitamin C
June 13- Spirometer
Jan 14- PCR
June 14- Habituation
Jan 15- Respirometer.

Predictions? DAPHNIA, ENZYMES, MITOSIS, TOTIPOTENCY, MINERAL DEFICIENCY, TENSILE STRENGTH AND GEL ELECTROPHORESIS

Q3= NO TREND!!

MAKE SURE YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH ALL THE EXPERIMENTS FROM UNIT 3 AND UNIT 6.
Original post by fictioned
What about limitations then?
I havent studied AS bit yet, omg, this is gonna kill me.

Limitations could be anything from
there are certain variables that are not controlled
to maybe the way of measuring the DV is not good enough or it doesnt correspond to what we're looking for
Limitations is the bit where you look at everything on your plan and just criticise it
IV DV CV
Original post by angelonm
Limitations could be anything from
there are certain variables that are not controlled
to maybe the way of measuring the DV is not good enough or it doesnt correspond to what we're looking for
Limitations is the bit where you look at everything on your plan and just criticise it
IV DV CV

I guess that it makes sense. I am all frazzled right now. Panicking does no good.
Reply 43
My bets are on either tensile strength or electrophoresis :colone: .

Do you think intensity of light and wavelength of light would be considered as two separate factors to be controlled for an experiment?

Also is anyone doing M3 right before this tomorrow as well?
Original post by Navo D.

Do you think intensity of light and wavelength of light would be considered as two separate factors to be controlled for an experiment?

I would say that there is a 50:50 chance of those 2 variables to be considered as different because it may appear in the mark scheme as

(intensity/wavelength) of light

I would suggest you use either one of intensity or wavelength and another variable like temperature or pH obviously depending on the investigation.

Some of my classmates are resitting C1 lol but no one is doing M3
Reply 45
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
I would say that there is a 50:50 chance of those 2 variables to be considered as different because it may appear in the mark scheme as

(intensity/wavelength) of light

I would suggest you use either one of intensity or wavelength and another variable like temperature or pH obviously depending on the investigation.

Some of my classmates are resitting C1 lol but no one is doing M3

Yeah fair enough. When in doubt go for temperature lol

I don't understand the grade boundaries for this paper though, Jan 2014 which was an average paper had really nice boundaries but Jan 15 which I found hard had unreasonably high ones? I need an A* in this :frown:
Original post by Navo D.
Yeah fair enough. When in doubt go for temperature lol

I don't understand the grade boundaries for this paper though, Jan 2014 which was an average paper had really nice boundaries but Jan 15 which I found hard had unreasonably high ones? I need an A* in this :frown:

Totally mate, Jan 15 was ridiculously high (around 44 for an A* i think). Well we can only hope that it goes lower this year and i am pretty sure it will because most students sit unit 6's in June compared to Jan
Original post by Navo D.

I'm thinking mitosis might pop up
Reply 48
Totally mate, Jan 15 was ridiculously high (around 44 for an A* i think). Well we can only hope that it goes lower this year and i am pretty sure it will because most students sit unit 6's in June compared to Jan

Let's hope some people take one for the team and lower the boundaries :wink:
Reply 49
Original post by angelonm
I'm thinking mitosis might pop up

Better revise my staining techniques then :eek:
Original post by Navo D.
Better revise my staining techniques then :eek:

cant forget those acetic alcohol fixatives !
Reply 51
I've got predictions for unit 6 question 1! Question 3 however shows no trend so just be ready. Mind you my predictions are based on nothing but the fact that these experiments haven't come up before so here we go.
Question 1

June 10- Beetroot
Jan 11- Antibiotics
June 11- Temp effect on brine shrimps/seedlings
Jan 12- Respirometer
June 12- Ecology
Jan 13- Vitamin C
June 13- Spirometer
Jan 14- PCR
June 14- Habituation
Jan 15- Respirometer.

Predictions? DAPHNIA, ENZYMES, MITOSIS, TOTIPOTENCY, MINERAL DEFICIENCY, TENSILE STRENGTH AND GEL ELECTROPHORESIS

Q3= NO TREND!!

MAKE SURE YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH ALL THE EXPERIMENTS FROM UNIT 3 AND UNIT 6.

Daphnia, totipotency, mineral deficiency and enzymes have all come up in one form or another before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wahid1
Daphnia, totipotency, mineral deficiency and enzymes have all come up in one form or another before

Posted from TSR Mobile

im talking about question 1
Original post by Wahid1
Pcr has come up before.

Also, I hope question 3 will be antibiotic stuff haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want the antibiotic or the antimicrobial properties of plant extracts experiment as well .. but sadly it has come up at least 3 times in some way or another (Q1 or Q3).. Doubt it will again this year :frown:

I predict Mitosis, Plant fibres tensile strength or gel electrophoresis! But who knows.. The effect temperature on respiration rate of germinating seeds has come up twice with basically an identical question both times.. That one will most likely not come up again as it did in Jan 15, but the point is..... A pattern has not been followed like in the AS unit 3 papers! It could be any of the practicals tbh :/
Reply 54
Original post by Vetstudent2014
I want the antibiotic or the antimicrobial properties of plant extracts experiment as well .. but sadly it has come up at least 3 times in some way or another (Q1 or Q3).. Doubt it will again this year :frown:

I predict Mitosis, Plant fibres tensile strength or gel electrophoresis! But who knows.. The effect temperature on respiration rate of germinating seeds has come up twice with basically an identical question both times.. That one will most likely not come up again as it did in Jan 15, but the point is..... A pattern has not been followed like in the AS unit 3 papers! It could be any of the practicals tbh :/

Same with sampling so idk. Sampling has come up 3 times, enzyme related stuff 3 times, antibiotics 2 times, teeth thingy once and also mineral once.

Really clueless. Also for question one mitosis hasn't appeared past Jan 2013 at all in B3 or 6 so I'm not sure it will... Although they most certainly can

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Navo D.
Let's hope some people take one for the team and lower the boundaries :wink:

you know when you are drawing a table in q3d and you have initial height of shoot and final height of shoot how will the table look like if you are finding percentage increase in height for 3 trials? How many columns will it have and how will it look like please show me
Also is there a generic pattern for limitations in q 3e?
When you are drawing out a table, how do you know which variable goes up a long the top and which on the left hand column?
And when you're drawing out how your data is to be recorded/presented, do you include what you think the results might be or just leave your graph and tables blank?
Also, when do you know to use significant correlation or significant difference for the null hypothesis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending