The Student Room Group

Can I teach myself economics?

As the title says, I would Like to know you're honest opinions on whether or not I could teach myself economics and come out with a B-A* grade. This will all be done over the normal 2 year A level duration.
I'm a capable student and I've got alright time management so I'd really like to know your opinions on it. Anything will help guys!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Michael_Real
As the title says, I would Like to know you're honest opinions on whether or not I could teach myself economics and come out with a B-A* grade. This will all be done over the normal 2 year A level duration.
I'm a capable student and I've got alright time management so I'd really like to know your opinions on it. Anything will help guys!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you can: I'm currently self-teaching myself economic bit by bit (will cover the whole AS during the summer). Do you want book recommendation?
That would be great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kkboyk
Yes you can: I'm currently self-teaching myself economic bit by bit (will cover the whole AS during the summer). Do you want book recommendation?

That would be great thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
That would be great thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

- A pelican's guide to economics
- economics for dummies (uk edition)
-pindyck and rubenfield microeconomics
-managerial economics for dummies
-behavioural economics for dummies
- a critical thinkers guide to microeconomics.

.The dummies books you can get online for free and also additional notes from:
http://www.economicshelp.org/macroeconomics/
http://www.tutor2u.net/economics/revision-notes/

What yr are you in?
Original post by kkboyk
- A pelican's guide to economics
- economics for dummies (uk edition)
-pindyck and rubenfield microeconomics
-managerial economics for dummies
-behavioural economics for dummies
- a critical thinkers guide to microeconomics.

.The dummies books you can get online for free and also additional notes from:
http://www.economicshelp.org/macroeconomics/
http://www.tutor2u.net/economics/revision-notes/

What yr are you in?

Omg thank you so very much I really appreciate it.
And I'm in year 11, yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Omg thank you so very much I really appreciate it.
And I'm in year 11, yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure you would be able to cope doing 5 A-levels? I wouldn't suggest going through the struggle to learn it, especially in yr 12 which will just increase your workload. I'd suggest waiting until yr13 and doing AS economics only. Why exactly are you planning on doing it?
Original post by kkboyk
Are you sure you would be able to cope doing 5 A-levels? I wouldn't suggest going through the struggle to learn it, especially in yr 12 which will just increase your workload. I'd suggest waiting until yr13 and doing AS economics only. Why exactly are you planning on doing it?

I fortunately managed to get an accountancy scholarship which gives me a few professional accountancy qualifications and £15,000 toward training with any chartered accountancy body, which is all very great but it means I won't be doing any a levels.

I had the opportunity to turn it down and go Into sixth form but to be perfectly honest this is an opportunity I probably won't get in the future.

So I've decided to reach myself 3 A levels on he side as I may decide to change careers in the future and with no A levels that's practically impossible. The A levels Im going to do are Accounting, business studies (Both would be piss easy as the scholarship will indirectly teach me these anyway) and economics, which I feel I know is the one I'll struggle with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I fortunately managed to get an accountancy scholarship which gives me a few professional accountancy qualifications and £15,000 toward training with any chartered accountancy body, which is all very great but it means I won't be doing any a levels.

I had the opportunity to turn it down and go Into sixth form but to be perfectly honest this is an opportunity I probably won't get in the future.

So I've decided to reach myself 3 A levels on he side as I may decide to change careers in the future and with no A levels that's practically impossible. The A levels Im going to do are Accounting, business studies (Both would be piss easy as the scholarship will indirectly teach me these anyway) and economics, which I feel I know is the one I'll struggle with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not change Business studies for Maths A-level? You can still be able to apply to apprenticeship that will offer the same opportunity (and some better ones) after completing your A-level, if I don't get into Maths at uni I may follow this route.
Original post by kkboyk
Why not change Business studies for Maths A-level? You can still be able to apply to apprenticeship that will offer the same opportunity (and some better ones) after completing your A-level, if I don't get into Maths at uni I may follow this route.

Yes I'm considering maths but it all depends on work load.

Plus I've considered the apparent wag p route after A levels but in all honesty what Im doing now is miles better. Id be 2 years ahead of where I would've been if I'd have gone to college then done an apprenteship. Plus I'm getting the same and more qualifications on this scholarship than I would have done in an apprenticeship.
Thanks for the suggestions. Though buddy. May I ask what do you want to do in the future and what year are you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest