The Student Room Group

Redo first year or go onto second?

Hello I'm studying mechanical engineering and this year hasn't been the best for me with university and I most likely see myself needing to retake this year.

The issue with this is that I have already undertaken a foundation year and if I redo this year student finance will not fund all of the course (already a 4 year course sandwich not including foundation) and one year will be unfunded and I don't know how I'll even pay the tuition fees.

For the engineers out there how important are first year grades for placements/careers? Is it worth retaking a year to make sure I get at least a 2:1 or would it be better to just move onto second year although the chances of me passing all my modules this year are slim.
Original post by Deg
Hello I'm studying mechanical engineering and this year hasn't been the best for me with university and I most likely see myself needing to retake this year.

The issue with this is that I have already undertaken a foundation year and if I redo this year student finance will not fund all of the course (already a 4 year course sandwich not including foundation) and one year will be unfunded and I don't know how I'll even pay the tuition fees.

For the engineers out there how important are first year grades for placements/careers? Is it worth retaking a year to make sure I get at least a 2:1 or would it be better to just move onto second year although the chances of me passing all my modules this year are slim.

What is the likelihood of your finding £9000 plus living costs? If nil, then you'd better carry on into the next year, since you would be throwing away all the money you have spent already.
Reply 2
Original post by Deg
Is it worth retaking a year to make sure I get at least a 2:1 or would it be better to just move onto second year although the chances of me passing all my modules this year are slim.

You won't be given a choice by your uni. If you pass the year, you'll go on to the second year. If you fail the year, you'll have to retake either individual modules or the entire year (depending on how badly you fail and your uni's policy for dealing with your situation). Giving up and deliberately failing the year would be a very poor idea.

As per Carnationlilyrose's post, you need to make sure that you pass this year, at any grade at all. From a financial point of view, failure doesn't seem to be an option if you want to end up with any kind of degree at all.
Reply 3
Deg
OP
In that case I'll try and pass this year, most of the modules I should be able to pass it's only 1 or 2 of them that I might have a problem with.

Quick Reply

Latest