Safiyamae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, is there anything to start thinking about that will help my chances of getting into a uni for adult nursing in 2016- eg volunteering or things like that?
im currently taking AS psychology, English lit chemistry and biology and am predicted an
A in psych
A in English Lit
c/b chemistry
c/b biology
also waiting to hear about my place in the Sutton trust.
And have a week long placement for work experience in a hospital in july
thanks !😄
LIzzieWoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do some voluntary work over the summer- a charity or caring for adults. Good luck in the hospital
All nursing schools will asses your literacy and numeracy skills, make sure you are good at percentages fractions ml to litres, grams, kg, mg and arithmetic. The tests are GCSE level. Literacy tests vary across schools, some require you to write a short essay and/or test your reading comprehension etc.
Prepare for your personal statement, you have to sound original or at least genuine in your reasons for applying to nursing school. I would advice you focus more on chem and bio as would really help you as a nurse. We need to do monitor for vital signs, septic shock, a bit of pharmacological knowledge, so doing well in biology would make your life a lot easier, good on you to even choose bio and chem as A level subjects I hope you do not drop Biology!
LIzzieWoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To stand out from the crowd learn a topic in healthcare, such as diabetes doesn't have to be too in depth and mention in the personal statement. You can talk about it in the interview and at least you are already showing you have interest and did some independent research on it, so you can show you are actually enthusiastic for nurse! Hope that helps!
Safiyamae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you so much!
I got A in maths gcse and A* English so that's not to bad then aha!
I plan to drop chemistry at the end of this year as feel will get better grade in bio english and psych!, have taken an epq this year in why only certain people develop PTSD after trauma looking at a lot of the biochemical factors but a psych one was the closest thing I could do to nursing at my school for and epq!
Thank you very much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads