What were the positives of British colonisation? Watch

JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
And European colonisation of the the world in general?
BlackRepublican
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you are interested I can send you my course paper on the impact of colonisation on African societies. Just send me a private message

(Original post by JamesManc)
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JamesManc)
I would say English as official language on the whole globe and (exotic) specialities in foreign cuisine for instance. Oh, don't forget to mention many mineral resources.
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The British Empire.
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Positives for Britain or for the colonies?
miguapa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Chocolate. Tobacco (if one smokes, I don't), sugar, potatoes, spices.

India and Africa got infrastructure.
NativeToEurope
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Technology that was introduced by Europeans was a huge benefit of colonisation
Modern medicine
infrastructure
agricultural techniques and science
education and legal systems still used today
opening up routes for world trade
username1649843
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The rule of law in Africa
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bolly_mad)
x
As colonisation is almost associated with negative terms and thoughts, it is not wrong to name some positive aspects, if they have existed.
German123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
I would say English as official language on the whole globe and (exotic) specialities in foreign cuisine for instance. Oh, don't forget to mention many mineral resources.
Yes, I guess that would be part of it.
bolly_mad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
As colonisation is almost associated with negative terms and thoughts, it is not wrong to name some positive aspects, if they have existed.
The 'positives' are subjective. Depends on which side you're asking. What one side considers a positive, another may say is a negative.

One side can say giving the English language was a positive given its primacy in the modern world. The other side could say the only reason English has primacy today is because many native languages were wiped out or subordinated to English during colonisation, and that English was intentionally and deliberately positioned as the most powerful language at the cost of native languages, in order to maintain control. For example, governance and administration being out of the ability of the majority of the native population, as they could not speak, read or write the language, meaning only the British and those who were educated/influenced by British culture could do so. The English language thus removed the choice and ability of most of the native people to govern themselves and legitimised British rule.

One side can say building railways and ports improved infrastructure in the colonies. The other could say those railways and ports were not for the use of the natives, but were built to transport stolen raw materials and mineral wealth from the colonies to the industrial and manufacturing areas of Britain and Europe.

My problem with this discussion, is that anyone listing a 'positive' is likely looking at the issue from only one side, and with a great deal of ignorance of the other side.

There were no absolute positives to colonisation. There is always another side.
NativeToEurope
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The 'positives' are subjective. Depends on which side you're asking. What one side considers a positive, another may say is a negative.

One side can say giving the English language was a positive given its primacy in the modern world. The other side could say the only reason English has primacy today is because many native languages were wiped out or subordinated to English during colonisation, and that English was intentionally and deliberately positioned as the most powerful language at the cost of native languages, in order to maintain control. For example, governance and administration being out of the ability of the majority of the native population, as they could not speak, read or write the language, meaning only the British and those who were educated/influenced by British culture could do so. The English language thus removed the choice and ability of most of the native people to govern themselves and legitimised British rule.

One side can say building railways and ports improved infrastructure in the colonies. The other could say those railways and ports were not for the use of the natives, but were built to transport stolen raw materials and mineral wealth from the colonies to the industrial and manufacturing areas of Britain and Europe.

My problem with this discussion, is that anyone listing a 'positive' is likely looking at the issue from only one side, and with a great deal of ignorance of the other side.

There are no absolute positives to colonisation. There is always another side.

What native languages have been wiped?
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
x
Your summarizing is really good and I think so for the most part, namely that the British empire profited in a huge extent.
miguapa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

There were no absolute positives to colonisation. There is always another side.
Railways in India weren't used for the transportation of raw materials alone. And I think they still speak Hindi, Gujarti, Telugu like they did before the John Company got there.

I do agree though, the only people who praise the Empire were those who hark back to Britain's power, or the uneducated who don't read/learn about what colonialism actually was like.
bolly_mad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NativeToEurope)
Over 100 Aboriginal Australian languages have been wiped out for one.
miguapa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He can only really mean Aboriginal languages in Australia or something. Last I heard, they still speak Yoruba in Nigeria, well since forever...
DarkMagic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Irish Gaelic is still spoken in some places in Ireland but, outside those, you'd struggle to find someone who knows more than a few words of it.
NativeToEurope
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DarkMagic)
Irish Gaelic is still spoken in some places in Ireland but, outside those, you'd struggle to find someone who knows more than a few words of it.
Irish gaelic was not wiped out by The British. try again please
NativeToEurope
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Over 100 Aboriginal Australian languages have been wiped out for one.
What aboriginal Languages?
bolly_mad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What aboriginal Languages?
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/...291819363.html

http://www.ctvnews.ca/dozens-of-abor...nesco-1.451581

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20066624
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.52%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.67%
No, but I want to start (189)
36%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.24%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.57%