Where to learn Arabic inexpensively in the UK???

Watch
purplehedgehog11
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I want to go to an Arabic class in real life because self-studying isn't the easiest thing when you struggle with self-motivation anyway. However I've struggled to find anywhere I could learn until the summer when I could attend a summer school. I have very little money but I'm very keen on improving my Arabic so I think I'll sign up for a summer school, I'm just not sure which to pick. SOAS has one but it's over 1200 pounds not including accommodation!!
Anyway what I'm asking is if any of you know of any Arabic courses in the UK that are cheap or start fairly soon? I realize that 'UK' is wide but I don't want to give away my location lol and I sometimes stay in other cities for long periods of time anyway. Also if you have any summer school recommendations, including ones abroad providing they're cheap. And if you're learning Arabic and want a study partner I would be v up for that even if we can't meet. It's easy to find Arabs willing to teach me their language (which is nice but I feel awkward being so much worse at Arabic than they are at English) but I don't come across many fellow learners.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
youtube
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by purplehedgehog11)
So I want to go to an Arabic class in real life because self-studying isn't the easiest thing when you struggle with self-motivation anyway. However I've struggled to find anywhere I could learn until the summer when I could attend a summer school. I have very little money but I'm very keen on improving my Arabic so I think I'll sign up for a summer school, I'm just not sure which to pick. SOAS has one but it's over 1200 pounds not including accommodation!!
Anyway what I'm asking is if any of you know of any Arabic courses in the UK that are cheap or start fairly soon? I realize that 'UK' is wide but I don't want to give away my location lol and I sometimes stay in other cities for long periods of time anyway. Also if you have any summer school recommendations, including ones abroad providing they're cheap. And if you're learning Arabic and want a study partner I would be v up for that even if we can't meet. It's easy to find Arabs willing to teach me their language (which is nice but I feel awkward being so much worse at Arabic than they are at English) but I don't come across many fellow learners.
Ibn jabal, though quite fast and you gotta be on top of things. The other is Ebrahim college.
purplehedgehog11
Rep:
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Ibn jabal, though quite fast and you gotta be on top of things. The other is Ebrahim college.
Ebrahim College looks good... I'm not a Muslim though...
Iqbal007
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Ebrahim College looks good... I'm not a Muslim though...
Well you asked for an Arabic teaching course......these are the most popular among Muslims, they mainly do Arabic but sometimes go into Quranic Arabic though depends on the course. I'm sure there are non-muslims there.

Ibn Jabal is particularly popular at for University students in London, know quite a few people who did it and are doing it. One even after learning there began teaching there for a year.

Some offer discounts for students and those struggling with costs.
purplehedgehog11
Rep:
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Well you asked for an Arabic teaching course......these are the most popular among Muslims, they mainly do Arabic but sometimes go into Quranic Arabic though depends on the course. I'm sure there are non-muslims there.

Ibn Jabal is particularly popular at for University students in London, know quite a few people who did it and are doing it. One even after learning there began teaching there for a year.

Some offer discounts for students and those struggling with costs.
IDK, even if Ibrahim College let me attend I'd feel like I was intruding and doing something wrong? But I'm guessing you're not against it?
Iqbal007
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
IDK, even if Ibrahim College let me attend I'd feel like I was intruding and doing something wrong? But I'm guessing you're not against it?
It shouldn't be as their a private institution but open to all.
MissLioness
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
There was a documentary aired on Iqra TV, showing a very well-known Arab scholar on his visit to the UK, and they featured Ibrahim College, who mentioned that they've had many non-Muslim students, so, it shouldn't be a problem !
purplehedgehog11
Rep:
(Original post by MissLioness)
There was a documentary aired on Iqra TV, showing a very well-known Arab scholar on his visit to the UK, and they featured Ibrahim College, who mentioned that they've had many non-Muslim students, so, it shouldn't be a problem !
Yay! Their summer course for females is booked up now though
MissLioness
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yay! Their summer course for females is booked up now though
I know that most mosques in the UK teach Arabic, many for free, but I wonder what would happen if a non-Muslim showed up, though .. perhaps it would be worth inquiring.
purplehedgehog11
Rep:
I know that most mosques in the UK teach Arabic, many for free, but I wonder what would happen if a non-Muslim showed up, though .. perhaps it would be worth inquiring.
Lol yeah I feel too cheeky/embarrassed to enquire tbh. I don't think it's fair for me to take resources away from Muslims, at the same time though I am really ****ing poor... But I imagine it's **** enough dealing with all the Islamophobia in the UK without having to deal with non Muslims in your spaces so ethically it seems dubious for me to use a mosque for my own enrichment... Don't know what Muslim mosque attendees' opinions are though I've not done a survey
purplehedgehog11
Rep:
Yay I found a mosque that will let me attend classes there
MissLioness
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Ah, congratulations ! Will you be the only non-Muslim, there ?
purplehedgehog11
Rep:
Ah, congratulations ! Will you be the only non-Muslim, there ?
Don't think so. Was told they already have a class where half the students are non-Muslims or s/t, weirdly
ml97
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Language Transfer has a brilliant (and free) Arabic course. If you use this before doing a paid course I'm sure you'll get more for your money
TorpidPhil
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Cool thread. I'm wanting to learn Arabic too.
tehFrance
Badges: 17
Report 6 years ago
Go to a Mosque, they'll teach you all the Arabic you need to know and as an added bonus pay for your trip to IS controlled Syria and Iraq
SceneKid17
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Love learning Arabic! its great xxx
Enginerd.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I'm hoping to learn Arabic one day, it's a beautiful language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
purplehedgehog11
Rep:
(Original post by tehFrance)
Go to a Mosque, they'll teach you all the Arabic you need to know and as an added bonus pay for your trip to IS controlled Syria and Iraq
Wut
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.91%
Okay (94)
29.1%
A bit lacking (118)
36.53%
Not good at all (79)
24.46%

Watched Threads