Are older single childless women judged more than older men? Watch

Redfrost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Would you say that these days wonen are judged more for not marrying/not having a partner/children in middle age compared to men? I know the definitions of bacholor and spinster portray spinster in a worse light but thats in history what about today?
Krish71190
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think that it all depends in what you believe and want. There would always be people unsatisfied about life, they will criticize you if you get married to soon, if you dont, if you got pregnant, if you dont want children... bla,, bla,,, blaa. At the end, you are the one who lives with it. I constantly get criticized by the way I want to live. Im waiting, Im enyoing LIFE, I have no regrets, no children, no boyfriend, no husband, but myself, and I love it. I hope one day I will find the right partner to share and love, but for now I love to be on my own, doing the best I know: live.
Mike9910
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of course they are. But you already knew this didn't you?

Are men on a low income judged more than women on a low income?

Welcome to 2015, where gender norms still matter.

And besides if you're asking this question I'm guessing you don't have a husband, a traditionalist family you're close with, a wide social network or social status you need to protect. So who's going to judge you? The good thing about being a loser is nobody cares about you.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mike9910)
Of course they are. But you already knew this didn't you?

Are men on a low income judged more than women on a low income?

Welcome to 2015, where gender norms still matter.

And besides if you're asking this question I'm guessing you don't have a husband, a traditionalist family you're close with, a wide social network or social status you need to protect. So who's going to judge you? The good thing about being a loser is nobody cares about you.
The income thing doesn't matter much anymore now that women have their own careers. No one who I know in my town has much money yet the older single childless men do fine getting by on charisma and a fit body. This wouldn't work for a middle aged woman who has absolutely no control over getting older and can't work out to change it that's what I was getting at.
Mike9910
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The income thing doesn't matter much anymore now that women have their own careers. No one who I know in my town has much money yet the older single childless men do fine getting by on charisma and a fit body. This wouldn't work for a middle aged woman who has absolutely no control over getting older and can't work out to change it that's what I was getting at.
Except, it still does matter (re men's incomes).

This graph is from an OkCupid study on men's income and its effect on how many messages they get.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...d=380169&stc=1

From "the-biggest-lies-in-online-dating" (OKCupid)
: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/th...online-dating/

The message is clear: the more money a man makes the more women are interested in him.

Maybe your town is poor and women have to readjust their choices of partners accordingly. I still suspect we would see a similar trend to the one OkCupid found, even if it's not as pronounced.

Gender roles don't just suddenly disappear because the environment that created them has changed. Change takes years to cascade through society, generations even. When you have pervasive, powerful institutions in society, such as the church/religion, advocating in favor of traditional family & gender norms then this change process will take even longer.

We're taking a different angle to your original question here. Your question is are " older single childless women judged more than older men". The answer is clearly yes.

If your question is do older men have more flexibility and control over their situations than does an older woman, the question would provide a more equitable answer.

Because while a woman has no control over getting old neither do men.

Men too have a limited time when they're considered marriageable. After 35 a man's value on the dating market declines, after 40 it falls off a cliff. Forget about the anomalies (EG movie stars, or successful businessmen), the average man has just as much worries regarding getting older as women do.

What are your concerns anyway? Are you trying to advocate against women's injustices? Or is this some personal matter (EG maybe you wanted to get married and have kids and you think you've missed out)?

I mean, if you're 29 and you've only just started contemplating the implications of your gender and age in dating (and society) then you don't strike me as someone who ever intended to adhere to what is expected as traditional female behavior. This is what you wanted all along.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads