SamFlynn97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Anyone else think that unit 1 makes absolutely no sense?! Especially particle physics
rory58824
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I find the textbook unhelpful for particle physics, had to look up some YouTube videos to get a better sense of it. If you're stuck on it, try searching DrPhysicsA on YouTube - that should help
SamFlynn97
Rep:
?
(Original post by rory58824)
I find the textbook unhelpful for particle physics, had to look up some YouTube videos to get a better sense of it. If you're stuck on it, try searching DrPhysicsA on YouTube - that should help
I agree, textbook is rubbish. Thanks I'll have a look
Chucklevisionary
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The textbook does do the Particle Physics in an odd order, I think I ended up having to do some of the later parts of the chapters and then working back to make sense of it all.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bits of Unit 1 were quite confusing, and it didn't help that you have to settle in going from GCSE to A-level. (After a few weeks I went up to my teacher after a lesson and said "I haven't a clue what's going on most of the time". Though after adjusting, Units 2, 4 and 5 don't seem too bad.

I don't remember all the tiny details but if you need any help let me know

I didn't think of getting a hold of a CGP revision guide for AS, but it definitely helped me for A2, so I would recommend getting it for AS as well.
potatomaker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No it's very easy
SamFlynn97
Rep:
?
(Original post by SeanFM)
Bits of Unit 1 were quite confusing, and it didn't help that you have to settle in going from GCSE to A-level. (After a few weeks I went up to my teacher after a lesson and said "I haven't a clue what's going on most of the time". Though after adjusting, Units 2, 4 and 5 don't seem too bad.

I don't remember all the tiny details but if you need any help let me know

I didn't think of getting a hold of a CGP revision guide for AS, but it definitely helped me for A2, so I would recommend getting it for AS as well.
Do you think you could help me with an exam question??
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SamFlynn97)
Do you think you could help me with an exam question??
I could try what is it? (I'm terrible at ISA-style questions so I wouldn't be able to help with one of those)
C0balt
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The order in which they arrange the chapters is really weird. They do wave-particle duality in Unit 1 yet the wave chapter (interference etc) is at the end of the book lol
I found waves really hard at the beginning of the year, we did unit 2 first then unit 1. Unit 1 in comparison is really easy as it's mostly memorisation. Physics was really hard then now I think it's my best subject (well, not exactly but lowest grade boundaries of all my subject lol) apart from the ISA which is pain in the neck
GrandMasti
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Unit 2 is harder than Unit 1. You can lose marks way more easily :P I think with Unit 1 if you read the textbook and do some questions it should be fine
SamFlynn97
Rep:
?
I could try what is it? (I'm terrible at ISA-style questions so I wouldn't be able to help with one of those)
Just a past exam question

Q) The footprint of a geosynchronous satellite has a diameter of 1200km. The orbital height of the satellite is 3.7x10^7 m.

Show that the diffraction angle producing the satellites footprint is approximately 0.9/

Now, i've been using the equation Theta = Sin^-1 (Wavelength/a)

How do i get wavelength? also thought that a = 1200000m, but according to the markscheme its wrong/
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SamFlynn97)
Just a past exam question

Q) The footprint of a geosynchronous satellite has a diameter of 1200km. The orbital height of the satellite is 3.7x10^7 m.

Show that the diffraction angle producing the satellites footprint is approximately 0.9/

Now, i've been using the equation Theta = Sin^-1 (Wavelength/a)

How do i get wavelength? also thought that a = 1200000m, but according to the markscheme its wrong/
Ah, I've looked at what you're saying but it's not anything I'm familiar with, so I'll wave a white flag and hope that a physicist comes along and helps out. If not you could point me to the mark scheme and I could try to understand it. Sorry.
SamFlynn97
Rep:
?
Ah, I've looked at what you're saying but it's not anything I'm familiar with, so I'll wave a white flag and hope that a physicist comes along and helps out. If not you could point me to the mark scheme and I could try to understand it. Sorry.
Haha, no problem don't worry. I'll just give this question a pass. Thanks anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (88)
64.71%
I don't have everything I need (48)
35.29%

Watched Threads