The Student Room Group

Is it ok if i don't pick maths at A-Level?

post removed
I got an A at gcse maths and I took it at A Level because i kinda enjoyed it. Tbh, I was never naturally good at it I just worked hard and revised at gcse. A level maths is so challenging but once you get something, it's really uplifting. The people that got A's and A*'s at gcse not working start to struggle with the workload and the homeworks and general classwork.

You have to put 100% into it though! you can't just hope for the best without trying so if you're hardworking and are willing to spend a lot of time working! then go for it.:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A at GCSE and took maths A level. It was really challenging at the start and I was getting Es and Us in the tests/mocks. I worked really hard though and got an A in AS and I'm aiming for an A* at A2. It takes a lot of work but it is probably my most rewarding subject
I think if you enjoy the subject it does really help. I revised a fair amount because I wanted to and got and A at As and a few marks off an A* at A2. But if I hadn't enjoyed it and found it completely boring then it would have been really hard to muster up the motivation to keep going as it does get fairly complex (although you get more used to the jumps). The jump between AS and A2 isn't really small either. Also, if you know you won't enjoy it then that leaves you very little room for manouver when dropping a subject at AS as you'll probably want to drop maths (assuming you are doing AS and A2).
I'm not really naturally good at maths so I have to revise a lot, as I often make small mistakes. Towards the exams last year I was doing a ridiculous amount of past papers
I personally didn't think the jump between Maths at GCSE and AS was that big, although that could just be as we did Additional Maths FSMQ as well. It's the easiest of my subjects, but it can get quite boring so I'd say don't pick it if you don't need it and aren't going to enjoy it. College is stressful enough without adding in subjects you don't really like!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Quite a few of my friends did Maths at AS and for them it turned out terribly...My boyfriend in particular had a natural ability for maths (he got an A without revision for GCSE), however he ended up failing at AS due to how much harder it gets- but admittedly he didn't revise or put much work in. What I would say is that if you have a real interest in it you should make sure that you thoroughly check what kind of maths it will involve (from what I remember looking at there's loads of complex algebra and algorithms). Really as long as you're interested and put the work in it should work out great, sorry if that's not too helpful- I didn't take it myself. You probably already know this but make sure you take subjects that actually interest you rather than picking ones that you think universities will regard highly- this has lead to loads of my friends having to resit their AS year! :smile:
Reply 7
NO MATHS A-LEVEL?!?!

*clears the table in fury*

Let me guess. You're not going to study a STEM subject at Oxbridge either, are you?

Things like this are why our generation is so despised.
Reply 8
Depends what you wanna do at uni, if it's not Maths related then I don't think the A-level is really necessary? Like yeah it would look good, but no more than any other respected/relevant A-level, so you might as well do something you want to do.
Reply 9
Maths is great! So great, that I picked Double Maths because one A level wasn't enough for me :P

Personally, I would say that it's a very solid subject to do. Unis like it, plus it's very stable - doing past papers will guarantee improvement and a decent grade.
Maths is awesome. The first A-level is a bit basic but it picks up from there.

If you don't enjoy it you're unlikely to do well in it though so pick subjects that you enjoy.
Maths seems overwhelming at first and sometimes if you don't understand something in class (which is most of the time for me) you have to teach it to yourself at home. If you spend a lot of time on it and work hard throughout the year, you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest