Saj5677
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to study economics at LSE which a-level will the uni want more economics or further maths
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saj5677)
I want to study economics at LSE which a-level will the uni want more economics or further maths
I can't directly answer your question, but a friend got an offer for Economics for A*AAE in Economics, Maths, Physics and Further Maths. He took up Further Maths in Year 13 at AS and A2 but only put work in to get an A in AS Further Maths, so he got at least an E in the full A-level.

So I suppose Further Maths was a helpful qualification to have, but Economics was more important in his application.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why not both?
Saj5677
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
Why not both?
We can only take 1 due to option blocks

Posted from TSR Mobile
sr234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Perhaps you could do the full a level in economics and pick up AS FM in year 13? You're in yr12 right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bishoy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to do Economics at a place like LSE then you should be doing both economics and further maths A-Levels. I think Economics, Maths and Further Maths is what you should be doing. However if you can only do one out of the two, then economics is your best bet. It's much more relevant to your degree than further maths.
JamjamjamT
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you looked at the course requirements on the LSE website?
fuuji
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LSE doesn't care about economics A level do further maths. You'd be at no benefit having an A level in econ, but god help you trying to take MA100 (the required first year maths modules for econ undergrad) without further maths. I think they actually ask for further maths for Bsc Economics. This is not even an option really do further maths.
jamiep151
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Taken from LSE website:
"Programme requirement: A level Mathematics is required. A level Economics is not essential. Further Mathematics taken at A level is strongly preferred and is seen as an additional or fourth subject. Thus a combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills. No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media Studies"

So do NOT do FM if you will only be doing 3 subjects take it only as a 4th
vela1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jamiep151)
Taken from LSE website:
"Programme requirement: A level Mathematics is required. A level Economics is not essential. Further Mathematics taken at A level is strongly preferred and is seen as an additional or fourth subject. Thus a combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills. No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media Studies"

So do NOT do FM if you will only be doing 3 subjects take it only as a 4th
^ agreed. Although I think its best to do 4 A-Levels with further maths. Economics isn't needed as a friend of mine got in with Maths, FM, Physics and Chem.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You should do Maths, Further Maths, Economics, and then one other subject (eg History).
icecreamcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Further Maths (or both preferably)

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads