The Student Room Group

A-level reform

I don't understand what is actually happening in September I would appreciate if someone could inform me. I'll be studying As levels in September (or so I think :s-smilie:).
Will the reform take place if a certain party wins the election I've heard everything will stay the same if labour win ; it'll change if the Tories win. What about other parties like Ukip what are the effects of them coming into government?

Scroll to see replies

I think the legislation is set in place and can't be changed as easily if another party is in power?

Iirc, You guys will be sitting exams after the 2 years of education e.g Year 12/13 as opposed to doing half in year 12 and half in year 13.
Original post by Pegeek
I don't understand what is actually happening in September I would appreciate if someone could inform me. I'll be studying As levels in September (or so I think :s-smilie:).
Will the reform take place if a certain party wins the election I've heard everything will stay the same if labour win ; it'll change if the Tories win. What about other parties like Ukip what are the effects of them coming into government?

Same, I am just as confused as you are and I'm in year 10 also what subjects will change and stay the same *waits for someone to explain the A-Level reform*...
Reply 3
If you're currently in year 11, you're caught of stuck in the middle.

Some A levels will still have the original way of doing things, some won't.

Basically, for the new changed ones, you will sit an exam at the end of the year and this will gain you the AS qualification. The next year, assuming you still take it, the exams you take in year 13 will contribute 100% to your A2 grade. Ie your AS grades have no impact on your A2.... If that makes sense?

Whereas for the other subjects, your AS marks play an impact on your overall A2 grade, which is how it's currently done

If other parties come into power.. I got no idea tbh
Original post by AdamCee
If you're currently in year 11, you're caught of stuck in the middle.

Some A levels will still have the original way of doing things, some won't.

Basically, for the new changed ones, you will sit an exam at the end of the year and this will gain you the AS qualification. The next year, assuming you still take it, the exams you take in year 13 will contribute 100% to your A2 grade. Ie your AS grades have no impact on your A2.... If that makes sense?

Whereas for the other subjects, your AS marks play an impact on your overall A2 grade, which is how it's currently done

If other parties come into power.. I got no idea tbh

Thank you for clearing up the reform although the idea of sitting all the exams in year 13 really scares me :/

Does anyone know which subjects will be affected? I'm hoping to study english literature, sociology, psychology and PE.
Reply 5
Original post by Pegeek
Thank you for clearing up the reform although the idea of sitting all the exams in year 13 really scares me :/

Does anyone know which subjects will be affected? I'm hoping to study english literature, sociology, psychology and PE.

Indeed... I'm in the same situation and I hate it.

It depends on the exam board, I just checked my school's (as they tell us on their website which is changing and which isn't)...
Lit is changing
Psychology is changing
PE isn't changing

And we don't offer sociology so not sure there.

If you know your exam board, go onto their website and have a look. It should say
Original post by Pegeek

Timeline is here
English Lit, Sociology, and Psychology will all change. PE will remain on the old system.
Original post by Pegeek
x

Original post by Valyrian
x

Original post by Starlight15
x

Original post by AdamCee
x

Hi! This is a pretty useful thread, it explains everything! :tongue:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3142841

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by karmacrunch

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you suggesting my explanation wasn't good enough :frown:
Yes, some are changing but some aren't so our year will being doing a mixture of the new and old a-levels.

The old a-levels will still have the As and A2 parts, each 50%, one at the end of year 12 and the other at the end of year 13,.

The new a-levels will still have As which you can do if you only want to do an As in a subject.
If you do an A2 in a subject, then all of it is assessed at the end of year 13 and As done in year 12 do not count towards it.
The new a-level exams are meant to be harder and they have more content.
Original post by AdamCee
Are you suggesting my explanation wasn't good enough :frown:

You're not serious? :colonhash:

I didn't read anything on this thread. I just quoted everyone who had posted with the link. :tongue:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently students will do AS and A2 at the end of yr 13. :s-smilie:
You're not serious? :colonhash:

I didn't read anything on this thread. I just quoted everyone who had posted with the link. :tongue:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look, special circumstances. I was choking back tears I can be forgiven for missing a question mark.

Rubbing it in further, I see...
Original post by Gott
I heard 'all exams at the end of the two years'

That is basically what I have said.

"all exams"= all As and A2 exams at the end of two years(year 13)
Original post by Gott
Wo, I wasn't disagreeing, chill former German GCSE student :biggrin:

Oh, right, hahaha. :smile:
The current year 12's are the last students doing the modular, the coming AS level students, including yourself will be doing Linear. This basically means that you won't be taking your exams at the end of each year, you'll be taking your AS and A2 level exams at the end of year 13, which completely sucks.
Original post by AdamCee
Look, special circumstances. I was choking back tears I can be forgiven for missing a question mark.

Rubbing it in further, I see...

Please. :rolleyes:

:tongue: + Your explanation was good btw. I've read it now. :mmm:

(Edited... :colonhash:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Karmacrunch x
Original post by Starlight15