'International Development', worthwhile degree?

Watch
TomWeller
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am in my first year of A-levels doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Religious Studies.

My grades are pretty good I guess, I got 4 A*s, 7 As and 1 B in my GCSEs, but I still have no idea what I should do at university.. which kinda scares me :/

Although my A-levels are mainly just maths and economics, honestly I have realised that I'd really dislike doing a Maths degree or a pure Economics degree, I know I'd be miserable and totally uninterested in the course.

So as I'm pretty interested in development, sociology, politics, etc.. I was thinking about possibly applying for International Development at UEA (maybe 'International Development with Economics')

I never even knew this degree existed, so I have know idea if it's even worthwhile... does anyone know if there are even any jobs that this degree would prove useful for? Any advice would be great, thank you!
Ruby_1696
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TomWeller)
I am in my first year of A-levels doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Religious Studies.

My grades are pretty good I guess, I got 4 A*s, 7 As and 1 B in my GCSEs, but I still have no idea what I should do at university.. which kinda scares me :/

Although my A-levels are mainly just maths and economics, honestly I have realised that I'd really dislike doing a Maths degree or a pure Economics degree, I know I'd be miserable and totally uninterested in the course.

So as I'm pretty interested in development, sociology, politics, etc.. I was thinking about possibly applying for International Development at UEA (maybe 'International Development with Economics')

I never even knew this degree existed, so I have know idea if it's even worthwhile... does anyone know if there are even any jobs that this degree would prove useful for? Any advice would be great, thank you!
Hey sounds like a good idea to do International Development since u think u like politics, sociology etc. I say go for it! I applied for geo and international development in UEA if u don't think Ur gonna enjoy doing maths or econ by themselves then do a joint honours degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
TomWeller
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Ruby_1696)
Hey sounds like a good idea to do International Development since u think u like politics, sociology etc. I say go for it! I applied for geo and international development in UEA if u don't think Ur gonna enjoy doing maths or econ by themselves then do a joint honours degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you

So are you doing/planning to do international development at uni too?
Ruby_1696
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah no worries. Umm not too sure tbh. Haven't firmed or insured anything on UCAS!!! Everything is still up in the air :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Elllllllley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I considered applying to do International Development but ended up going for Politics and International Relations as it's a bit broader, so you could always consider that or something like Politics/Sociology and Economics
Student432
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had just gone to the open day at UEA. All International Development courses are flexible since the modules during the first year are the same. During the second year, say you were to do International development with economics, you would do economic modules but you also have the ability to chose other modules outside of economics, such as anthropology ,politics, geography and a language module.

I was pretty relieved upon hearing this since I'm also interested in politics and learning a language. Hope with helps
mm14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TomWeller)

International Development in comparison to more popular degrees is fairly young and as such isn't as well known. The content really varies from uni to uni so each International Development degree is different, some tend to focus more on NGOs and charities while others tend to focus more on Public Policy and Econ.
Here's a small list of other unis that offer ID or ID style degrees that you might be interested in:
KCL
Manchester
Reading
Birmingham
Sussex
SOAS

In terms of jobs there should be a number of choices from government jobs, banks, consultancy, journalism, and NGO projects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads