Vancouver referencing in word

Watch this thread
ontsr
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,
I have done a reference section for my unfinished essay and it has to be vancouver instead of my usual harvard.
Since they have to be ordered and numbered by appearance in the text, I would like to get something that can adjust the numbering automatically if I re-arrange or insert new references later.

Does anyone have experience with this, what software or plugin do you use?

I see that Word 2013 citations require I enter all the publication details in separate fields, which is cumbersome as I spent yesterday correctly formatting them.
xenophile
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Do you use any bibliography management software now or have you been entering everything manually?

Most of the big software packages have plugins for Word and will manage numerical citations: Endnote, Refworks and Zotero are a few. Each will take some figuring out initially.

I use Zotero because it has a desktop platform so can be used offline (unlike Refworks) and is not tied to specific uni accounts (like Endnote).
k3ro
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ontsr)
Hi,
I have done a reference section for my unfinished essay and it has to be vancouver instead of my usual harvard.
Since they have to be ordered and numbered by appearance in the text, I would like to get something that can adjust the numbering automatically if I re-arrange or insert new references later.

Does anyone have experience with this, what software or plugin do you use?

I see that Word 2013 citations require I enter all the publication details in separate fields, which is cumbersome as I spent yesterday correctly formatting them.
I use Mendeley and it's great. Install the desktop program, then install the plugin for MS Word. It lets you put references in any style you like and it'll automatically generate your bibliography too.
xenophile
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
While it may not concern everyone, it's worth mentioning that Zotero is fully open source and not for profit while Mendeley is owned and operated by Reed Elsevier (outspoken opponents of open access).

There are plenty of websites comparing these tools; if you're likely to be using them alot (eg, going on to a PhD) I recommend trying a couple to see which you prefer.
ontsr
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for the responses.
I've been using Mendeley for word for a couple days now and got the hang of it. It's great.
I have a presentation coming up and Mendeley doesn't work for powerpoint, and it seems the others have problems too.

Do you know a program that can put in vancouver citations and a bibliography for MS Powerpoint?

(I did a vancouver style powerpoint manually last semester, it was a nightmare)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (46)
30.67%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (66)
44%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (37)
24.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.67%

Watched Threads