Policy or Philosophy?

Watch this thread
Hariex
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Should parties debate their political ideology more than their policies? Should TV debates focus more on questions of the role of government, individuals and moral responsibility rather than specific plans of action? Can policy and philosophy even be separated?
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I'd like to see a lot more serious philosophy in politics, I'd like to know which philosophers and books particularly inspired politicians.

That said it appears there is an attitude that any sort of abstract discussion about ideas and principals over pragmatic policy is aloof and out of touch.

For me, the reluctance to discuss, for example, the inter-related responsibilities of Society, the State and the Individual, among other more abstract concepts has helped to create a bland a vanilla atmosphere where everyone pretty much thinks the same and never have their views challenged.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
why can't a philosophy inform a policy?
surely, as well, philosophy will determine a criterion of goodness, or an objective; the results of a better economy would be based on a certain philosophy of utilitarianism (seeing as everybody, in some way, usually and measurably benefits), while individual liberties is better for a philosophy of peace, non-aggression, individual dignity/rationality etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.11%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.22%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.56%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (21)
23.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.11%

Watched Threads