The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
It is depressing as it seems impossible. People say go for shorter girls but they don't want us short guys either. :sad: I have had thought of suicide (just thoughts) because I feel like no girl would want me because of my height so there is no point in living just to work all my life and have no one special.

Lol mate most girls are fickle when it comes to this. They realise its a genetic trait and although you cant help it they dont want any chance of their future offspring to be short. I'm 5'7/8 myself and even for me m8 its hard. I've never had a gf but I think thats more to do with me being socially awkward as well. Short girls are the worst as they'd be the ones who are most likely to reject you if you are short and only want to date 6'0 ft and over guys.

I also find that race has a lot to do with this too. White women are more likely to be accepting and not as judgemental as say south asian, middle eastern and black women. Try not to be so down about it. Get a education, get a job, make money and girls will come to you. If you chase a girl then a girl will run from you. If you chase money then girls will start to chase you.
To answer the OP, same way anyone else does. Yes, being short is a turn off for a lot of girls, but certainly not all of them. There are a lot of girls who would date a guy your height. Your lack of confidence about it is likely to be a bigger problem.

I have two friends (twins) about your height, both have girlfriends. It's a disadvantage, just like most people have disadvantages in some form in their looks. If you're confident, funny and intelligent, you will get girls.
It is depressing as it seems impossible. People say go for shorter girls but they don't want us short guys either. :sad: I have had thought of suicide (just thoughts) because I feel like no girl would want me because of my height so there is no point in living just to work all my life and have no one special.

Think you're more likely to go out with shorter girls or girls the same height, honestly. The average girl is about five foot four so you're equal height or taller than half the girls anyway. If you're good looking in general and confident it will up your chances. If you build up a bit you're more likely to attract girls that prefer more built men anyway, despite the height.

Definitely don't think it's worth feeling suicidal over. Seriously, it might not seem it but it's way over the top way to feel.

Edit: I think you're likely to get a girlfriend as a short guy with a good sense of humour and attractive. People make a big deal about height and other features in attraction over the internet and in theory but in real life things can work out differently
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by liquid funk
Listen, everyone's problems seem small to someone else. Don't be so ignorant.

To the OP: Not everyone can be born with perfect proportions or genetics. If I was you I'd just play on it, make it something you can joke about at your own expense. I've never met a girl who doesn't like a funny guy and it shows a degree of humbleness to make mockery of yourself and it takes away the chance for anyone to be an ass to you about it.

Don't get down on yourself, there are plenty of girls smaller than 5"4 so you can still be the taller one!

To consider suicide because of your height? What's your views on that then ?. To me 5'4 isn't even that small.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by karl pilkington
no but have you actually put yourself out there or are you just feeling sorry for yourself? You have to at least try before giving up

I have tried dressing better, working out, trying different hairstyles seeing how my mates talk with girls and trying it etc. NOTHING works.
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
To consider suicide because of your height? What's your views on that then ?. To me 5'4 isn't even that small.

I don't think suicide should be considered under any circumstance, for any reason. (Other than something truly awful like being captured by ISIS or if you're spying in N Korea or some terrifying situation where a more painful death is the only other option.)

But to belittle his reason as something to just get over is ignorant. Ok height might not be a problem to you. But to him it is? Think about your worst problem or fear and I bet the majority of other people would find that as minor as you made out his height issue to be. I hate all this PC'ness and treading on eggshells but I really just thought you were being an ignorant ass for no good reason.
Original post by beckaroo7
Think you're more likely to go out with shorter girls or girls the same height, honestly. The average girl is about five foot four so you're equal height or taller than half the girls anyway. If you're good looking in general and confident it will up your chances. If you build up a bit you're more likely to attract girls that prefer more built men anyway, despite the height.

Definitely don't think it's worth feeling suicidal over. Seriously, it might not seem it but it's way over the top way to feel.

As mentioned earlier, even short girls don't want a guy my height.
He doesn't get a girlfriend

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit: I think you're likely to get a girlfriend as a short guy with a good sense of humour and attractive. People make a big deal about height and other features in attraction over the internet and in theory but in real life things can work out differently

You and many people are forgetting one simple thing all women wear to lie about their height. Yes im talking about high heels. If a 5'3 girl wears them then she feels and looks taller than OP and will in her mind reject OP. She's no longer comparing men to her actual height but rather her high heel height. How many times do you hear a girl saying "If he's not taller than me in high heels then I wont date him" ?
As mentioned earlier, even short girls don't want a guy my height.

Literally edited as you quoted me. I'm five foot five and I wouldn't see it as a big deal.

My honest opinion is that the reason some girls don't go out with shorter guys is because of what their friends/others might think. The ones that aren't bothered about what others think are more likely to go out someone shorter.
Just saying, I have a massive crush on a guy who is like 5"2 c:
There will be people who dont care about height or find short height attractive.

Dont worry c:
Because girls do not find short guys attractive as you can see from the threads about height recently.

It's the same with the whole alpha/beta garbage. A thread started by a hideously ugly guy who just happens to be tall and gangly to make him feel better about himself isn't worth taking seriously.
Original post by Numan786
You and many people are forgetting one simple thing all women wear to lie about their height. Yes im talking about high heels. If a 5'3 girl wears them then she feels and looks taller than OP and will in her mind reject OP. She's no longer comparing men to her actual height but rather her high heel height. How many times do you hear a girl saying "If he's not taller than me in high heels then I wont date him" ?

Whenever I go out I don't wear heels. The friends I go out with all wear ballet pumps, plain sneakers or boots with only like a 1" heel. I know this reflects the places we go out to and The friends I'm referring to are between 5'4" and 5'10".

I'll agree a lot of girls are picky about height but there really are girls out there that aren't that bothered. I do hear that a lot that say that though.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I'm sorry but that is clearly rubbish. Lots of really nice women have a thing against blokes that are shorter than them. It is very prevalent. It's really harsh actually, it dwarfs a lot of things men get a bad rap for being shallow. Women seem incredibly picky when it comes to height, more so than men on stuff like boobs or bum imo. I feel really sorry for unusually small guys since it is incredibly unfair. There are lots of girls worth your time who will just automatically reject you for being small, I can't imagine how depressing that is. No one really complains about it like people complain about women being judged on their boob size etc.

Words from a tall guy who has, however, never had a girlfriend :tongue:

I understand what you're saying but saying that wasn't very helpful now was it, the guy's clearly depressed about it man...
I think he needs to learn how to comfortable in his own skin, otherwise he'll be giving off a very unconfident vibe, which is not attractive to most women. I'm assuming anyway, I have no clue about girls
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
It's the same with the whole alpha/beta garbage. A thread started by a hideously ugly guy who just happens to be tall and gangly to make him feel better about himself isn't worth taking seriously.

But when all the girls reply basically saying that height is important, it is seriously depressing for me.
Reply 35
There are a lot of superficial women, you just need to find the ones who care less about height and more about other things like money and status. If you have a decent job, your own house and car, you will get women although be prepared to be cheated on because they are happy to take your money but want their kicks with taller people.

Alternatively, get a woman who is really desparate because she is unattractive or lacking in confidence or both, there are loads of them about. They often volunteer in charity shops to try to find some value in their lives and validate their existence.

Isn't life unfair?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
I promise you will find someone who loves you for you!:smile:
Literally edited as you quoted me. I'm five foot five and I wouldn't see it as a big deal.

My honest opinion is that the reason some girls don't go out with shorter guys is because of what their friends/others might think. The ones that aren't bothered about what others think are more likely to go out someone shorter.

Why is that a problem though? Even if these girls are like 4'11" they still wont date a 5'4" guy because if what their friends think? Its extremely hard to find a girl who "isn't that bothered" about height.
Confidence is key dude and if you are charming, just lay back and relax. Look at Bruno Mars! he is only 5'5 but he is adored by so many ladies out there...including me
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pagorai
Confidence is key dude and if you are charming, just lay back and relax. Look at Bruno Mars! he is only 5'5 but he is adored by so many ladies out there...including me

He is also a famous singer and millionaire. If you're saying that is what it takes for girls to like short guys then it's not doing wonders for my confidence.

Latest

Trending

Trending