The Student Room Group

Any other graduates here long term unemployed and broke?

Whast your plans?

I think i need to retrain..but in what? and how i have no cash?

Cant even get a crap job either as i cant do bar work stuff, cant get any temp office work or other jobs
Reply 1
Well, why can't you do bar work stuff? Or work in a chippy? Since it's spring, how about helping out on farms? I know these kind of jobs don't sound ideal but it's better than being broke
perhaps its an issue of being over qualified? Only thing I can say which youve probably already done is sign up to every agency and check sites daily. Be prepared to travel...
Volunteer and get the required experience for paid jobs. Just a degree won't get you the job in itself, just helps!
Jobs in call-centres are easy to come by and by virtue of the nature of the work have flexible hours.
If you're a bit sportier, you could look into a pool lifeguard course as that takes a week then also enables flexible work hours.
The job centre will pay for this. This will enable you to volunteer in a job during the day relevant to your degree.

It also sounds like you need to review your CV. Go back to your student handbook / module guide for your course and start looking through what the learning outcomes were. These are your skills. Complete this CV and drop it in yourself to the potential companies that are near you and relevant to what you want to do. You'll get a couple of knock backs, but you only need one person to give you a shot. Its a numbers game.

Sometimes, you may have trouble getting an entry level job because of your degree. omit it from your CV and focus on your people skills on it - then go around each pub / bar / hotel / restaurant, be presentable and friendly and ask if they have any work.
Grafting
I will graduate this summer, feel stress already. But surly can find some jobs from some job hunting websites ? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by El Scotto
Jobs in call-centres are easy to come by and by virtue of the nature of the work have flexible hours.
If you're a bit sportier, you could look into a pool lifeguard course as that takes a week then also enables flexible work hours.
The job centre will pay for this. This will enable you to volunteer in a job during the day relevant to your degree.

It also sounds like you need to review your CV. Go back to your student handbook / module guide for your course and start looking through what the learning outcomes were. These are your skills. Complete this CV and drop it in yourself to the potential companies that are near you and relevant to what you want to do. You'll get a couple of knock backs, but you only need one person to give you a shot. Its a numbers game.

Sometimes, you may have trouble getting an entry level job because of your degree. omit it from your CV and focus on your people skills on it - then go around each pub / bar / hotel / restaurant, be presentable and friendly and ask if they have any work.

Some good advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending