The Student Room Group

I start Uni soon, advice please

I am starting my Bsc (hons) computing in October, I will be mostly using Java and Python (I've been told) any advice before I start? Also I would like to purchase a few books on the topics any recommendations as there are so many? What is worth the money/time.

much appreciated.
Reply 1
No need to purchase a book online about Python and Java. You can learn these languages free online. There are tons of ebooks online and youtube tutorials about programming. Google java tutorial and I'm 100% sure you'll find a YouTuber who has created a tutorial series for it.

Try
https://www.thenewboston.com/videos.php

pick a language to learn on the left.
Original post by Async
No need to purchase a book online about Python and Java. You can learn these languages free online. There are tons of ebooks online and youtube tutorials about programming. Google java tutorial and I'm 100% sure you'll find a YouTuber who has created a tutorial series for it.

Try
https://www.thenewboston.com/videos.php

pick a language to learn on the left.

Trouble is anyone can start a YouTube channel and try to start a series of tutorials, not many of them are qualified to actually do so and can end up teaching beginners a bunch of bad habits or only teach syntax of a particular language, rather than the whats or whys of programming. Books (that have been published) tend to be better.

A pretty well recommended book for learning Python is 'Learn Python The Hard Way'.
Reply 3
There are so many books with intended for beginners, it's hard to choose (especially Java ones) I really want to get a good one that will give me a head start.
Reply 4
Original post by Push_More_Button
Trouble is anyone can start a YouTube channel and try to start a series of tutorials, not many of them are qualified to actually do so and can end up teaching beginners a bunch of bad habits or only teach syntax of a particular language, rather than the whats or whys of programming. Books (that have been published) tend to be better.

A pretty well recommended book for learning Python is 'Learn Python The Hard Way'.

Yeah I totally agree. Most YouTubers teach bad programming habits. I used to warn people against learning from YouTubers because of the same reason as you, but then I realized, they are better off learning the basics in order to feel somewhat confident that they can program from a reliable YouTuber who has video tutorials that they can follow through.

When the person has now learned the language well enough, they will realize that there are many other resources to learn programming from, only then will they realize that YouTubers teach bad habits. I tell people to learn from YouTubers or eBooks because that is what I would do. I personally would never ever buy a book to teach me programming, and thus I wouldn't tell someone to do something I wouldn't do or have done if that makes sense.

Either way he will inevitably learn the correct practices if he decides to take programming more seriously. That's why I don't bother no more warning against YouTube. It atleast gives people a decent start.
Original post by heathbm
I am starting my Bsc (hons) computing in October, I will be mostly using Java and Python (I've been told) any advice before I start? Also I would like to purchase a few books on the topics any recommendations as there are so many? What is worth the money/time.

much appreciated.

I almost failed my 1st year programming till I came across Bucky (thenewboston). Trust me when I say this, this guy knows how to teach. There is a reason why he has so many view counts/ subscribers per video.

I first went through all of Bucky's JAVA videos, practised, practised and practised. Then I started reading books such as the one by Dietel and Heads first JAVA.

Also, there is no *need* to buy a mac.
Original post by Async
Either way he will inevitably learn the correct practices if he decides to take programming more seriously.

Tell that to the thousands of PHP 'developers'.
Reply 7
Original post by Push_More_Button
Tell that to the thousands of PHP 'developers'.

Personally I think that's because PHP is a weakly typed language. PHP is too forgiving. But I don't know much PHP devs so I don't really feel your "pain".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending