Is atheism a religious view? Watch

get_in_the_robot
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I know this sounds stupid, but in my E questions my teacher says we should put three views in - two beliefs, and our own. Is atheism a valid second belief? I was brought up in an atheist environment so it's been my go-to in class tests, but I'm not too sure about using it in my actual GCSE exam. Thank you~
Smithy-Smiths
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes it is. .. but I don't think you would say atheists you would either write... agnostics may interpret. .. actually go for it! I may be wrong... But I'd say Agnostics were you best beat.
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't say it has become a religion, but I would say militant/radical atheism has become a cult.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would say no, it's not a religious belief - religion is far more than just believing in a god, and the existence of irreligious theists, deists, pantheists etc. means it can't really be considered a "none of the above" religion either. But it depends on the specific question being asked and atheism would almost certainly be accepted by most exam boards.
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's a belief system, but not a religion.
(Original post by Smithy-Smiths)
Yes it is. .. but I don't think you would say atheists you would either write... agnostics may interpret. .. actually go for it! I may be wrong... But I'd say Agnostics were you best beat.
Agnostic means a different thing to atheist, they are two separate beliefs.
fairycat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Atheism is the lack of/disbelief in religion all together, to quote Bill Maher "atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position"
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it is a view regarding religion, but it isn't a "religious" view because it rejects religion, unless it is a religious form of atheism, e.g. buddhism, shintoism, taoism, etc
Smithy-Smiths
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)

Yes I know that. I was saying that Agnosticism was probably a safer option to write in the exam.

Also I recognise that Atheism is not a religion, but in the context of the exam.. It is held to the same merit as expressing the opinions of those with religious belief.
minor bun engine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)

They are often interchangeable and sometimes can mean the same thing depending on different interpretations of the words.

Eg. agnostic can mean "withholding belief in god", which can also be used to describe atheism.
morgan8002
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by minor bun engine)
They are often interchangeable and sometimes can mean the same thing depending on different interpretations of the words.

Eg. agnostic can mean "withholding belief in god", which can also be used to describe atheism.
It more commmly refers to people who don't believe one way or another in terms of religion.
get_in_the_robot
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
I would say no, it's not a religious belief - religion is far more than just believing in a god, and the existence of irreligious theists, deists, pantheists etc. means it can't really be considered a "none of the above" religion either. But it depends on the specific question being asked and atheism would almost certainly be accepted by most exam boards.
Thank you very much. Atheism is certainly not a religion in and of itself, I agree. I just needed to know if the exam board would accept it, which I agree with you, they most probably will

(Original post by Smithy-Smiths)
Yes I know that. I was saying that Agnosticism was probably a safer option to write in the exam.

Also I recognise that Atheism is not a religion, but in the context of the exam.. It is held to the same merit as expressing the opinions of those with religious belief.
So - Agnosticism is safer in the exam than Atheism? I'm kind of conflicted I could more or less write the same thing using either name, I guess. The mark schemes are usually not very specific at all :rolleyes:
risteard
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you use Durkheim 's typography atheism is most definitely a religion.

Contemporary sociology and philosophy veers towards the concept of belief systems rather than religion
risteard
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Agnosticism and atheism are not the same thing. The former is open to evidence that God may exist, the latter are convinced God does not exist.
German123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would not say atheism is a religious view, its just a view but not a religious one.

Just split your paragraphs into different arguments and you should be fine.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Atheism is neither a religious view nor a religion.
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Atheism is neither a religious view nor a religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is fairly cultish in USA however
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ChickenMadness)
Posted from TSR Mobile
It is fairly cultish in USA however
True
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.72%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.51%
No, I am unable to (141)
23.19%
No, I chose not to (176)
28.95%