The Student Room Group

Project dissertation reports

Why do so many people spend so much time on their project reports, especially the literature review and sacrifice exam revision time. I can understand it's important when the dissertation itself is counts towards most of the year but in many science courses it's part of a project. And the report is only worth about 10% of the year which is much less than the total for final exams. Also when it's part of a project, the underlying project work throughout the year etx is worth much more than the report.
Original post by Ybsy75
Why do so many people spend so much time on their project reports, especially the literature review and sacrifice exam revision time. I can understand it's important when the dissertation itself is counts towards most of the year but in many science courses it's part of a project. And the report is only worth about 10% of the year which is much less than the total for final exams. Also when it's part of a project, the underlying project work throughout the year etx is worth much more than the report.

My dissertation was worth 1/3 of my final year grade- my exams in total were worth 35%- so not that much difference between them. I was assessed on conduct of study, but that was only 10% of my final dissertation grade. You shouldn't assume everyone is marked in the same way as you.

Also, if you are looking to apply for further post-grad study, or wanting to go on into research, people can be interested in your dissertation grade as well as your final marks.

Finally, people may just be very passionate about their dissertation and want to produce the best piece of work they can.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
My dissertation was worth 1/3 of my final year grade- my exams in total were worth 35%- so not that much difference between them. I was assessed on conduct of study, but that was only 10% of my final dissertation grade. You shouldn't assume everyone is marked in the same way as you.Also, if you are looking to apply for further post-grad study, or wanting to go on into research, people can be interested in your dissertation grade as well as your final marks.Finally, people may just be very passionate about their dissertation and want to produce the best piece of work they can.

Why is my dissertation worth so little? The actual module is 25% of the year and the dissertation itself is only worth 35% or so of the module. Others are based on underlying work throughout the year.
Original post by Ybsy75
Why is my dissertation worth so little? The actual module is 25% of the year and the dissertation itself is only worth 35% or so of the module. Others are based on underlying work throughout the year.

I don't know why it's worth so little- that's something you'd have to take up with course tutors. I would assume it's proportionally less work than some people's though?
Reply 4
Original post by Ybsy75

Because you're on a different course at a different uni. There are no central rules. It can even differ between courses in the same uni department. Science and humanities dissertations can be very different. At my undergrad uni for example, science dissertations had a word count of 8000, whilst humanities had between 10-12000, depending on the subject.

My diss was one-third of my third year's mark, which in turn was 60% of my final grade. I needed to do well in it, as I wanted to go on to a Masters. The diss was in my proposed Masters speciality, so it was sensible to get the best mark possible. I didn't do that at the expense of my exam revision - I did both. It's just a matter of time management, commitment and focus. Unis don't intend it to be an "either/or" choice - they expect you to achieve in both.
Reply 5
Well mine's worth 40% of my grade this year and i have three and four weeks for my remaining essays after submission so it's important. That being said i know i screwed up a little so i'm more interested in ensuring i get a 2'2 on it to guarantee i'm not below a grade boundary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending