Voting Conservatives Not Labour. Watch

Shelby95
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is there any other students who will be voting Conservatives (or another party) instead of Labour?

I just think they left the country in such a mess when they came out off office that we'd be in even worse trouble if we voted them again. Sure they say they'll lower fee's but as I student I would not be bought in by one promise. I think I like the Conservatives because they have a plan and can explain what they want to do. Watching Prime Ministers Questions it's always Ed Milliband (Labour) making petty criticisms and complaints while David Cameron (Conservatives) is able to combat all of these with actual plans and figures etc. Maybe personally my family have came out better under a conservative government, mainly my parents being able to buy their house under the right to buy scheme (or something like that) which labour had previously removed. As a manual worker earning less than the average household income, this would have never been imaginable.

Not as related to the whole topic of this thread because I don't want it to get over run. But also UKIP, please tell me others see that it is implausible to blame everything on immigrants and migrants? Idea for a drinking game: Rewatch the Leaders debate, take a shot every time Farage brings foreign individuals into his answer.

I mean do we really want to see this note again in 5 years time?

Attached files
xleoanimusx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shelby95)
Is there any other students who will be voting Conservatives (or another party) instead of Labour?

I just think they left the country in such a mess when they came out off office that we'd be in even worse trouble if we voted them again. Sure they say they'll lower fee's but as I student I would not be bought in by one promise. I think I like the Conservatives because they have a plan and can explain what they want to do. Watching Prime Ministers Questions it's always Ed Milliband (Labour) making petty criticisms and complaints while David Cameron (Conservatives) is able to combat all of these with actual plans and figures etc. Maybe personally my family have came out better under a conservative government, mainly my parents being able to buy their house under the right to buy scheme (or something like that) which labour had previously removed. As a manual worker earning less than the average household income, this would have never been imaginable.

Not as related to the whole topic of this thread because I don't want it to get over run. But also UKIP, please tell me others see that it is implausible to blame everything on immigrants and migrants? Idea for a drinking game: Rewatch the Leaders debate, take a shot every time Farage brings foreign individuals into his answer.

I'll be voting Conservatives. I think they're doing a decent job actually. Interested to see what else they can do.
Shelby95
Rep:
?
(Original post by xleoanimusx)
I'll be voting Conservatives. I think they're doing a decent job actually. Interested to see what else they can do.
Same opinion here, it would be good to see them stick ahead with their plan rather than another party come in and start an entire new way. Hopefully we get to see it happen!
xleoanimusx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Same opinion here, it would be good to see them stick ahead with their plan rather than another party come in and start an entire new way. Hopefully we get to see it happen!
Hear, hear
Cadherin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I'm voting Tory - I'd rather vote for Lord Sutch over Labour if he were still here.
The two eds
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would love to vote tories but they have betrayed their core values so I'll be voting UKIP
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it's times like these where I wish we had the AV voting system because I don't know whether to vote UKIP or conservative
Shelby95
Rep:
?
(Original post by The two eds)
I would love to vote tories but they have betrayed their core values so I'll be voting UKIP
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
it's times like these where I wish we had the AV voting system because I don't know whether to vote UKIP or conservative
Out of interest, what makes you want to vote UKIP? For example specific policies, their values or something else. And what's your opinion on how they seem to link everything back to immigration?

0 judgement here, I don't judge or mistreat people on who they vote for.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Labour are all about not taking responsibility for your life... blame other people and get them to pay you to stay at home watching telly
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Out of interest, what makes you want to vote UKIP? For example specific policies, their values or something else. And what's your opinion on how they seem to link everything back to immigration?

1) EU referendum
2) immigration/migrant-benefits reforms
3) lower/flatter taxation
4) abolition of inheritance tax
5) less foreign aid spending
6) a right of recall law
7) a good chance of not going to more wars (based on their record of opposition towards libya, syria, etc)

what policies from the conservatives are you voting in relation to?
The two eds
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

There are various reasons. One I am not opposed to immigration but I want a controlled system where people are picked from any country and judged purely on their credentials- what they can bring in terms of social and economic Opportunites.

I am opposed to an EU political union but support a common trading market. Jean Claude Junker had made it clear on multiple occasions he is a federalist. He wants to federalise Europe. He wants an EU army, an EU wide tax, a Single EU wide education system the list goes on. I will not see our country become an EU state.

I am opposed to HS2.

I support English votes for English laws and scottish votes for scottish laws and so on for Wales and NI. Niether labour nor tories will deliver on this, they prefer the scots to have more rights.

I support a thorough review of the Barnett formula, no citizen should receive more money per head.

I support an end to the EU court of human rights and 1998 human rights act and instead a reformed bill of human rights which erases this political correctness culture Labour created.

I support reasonable investment in our armed forces and oppose tory cuts.

Tories also have sacrificed our environment and countryside which UKIP opposes at all costs. I love the environment we have remaining in this country.

I support the creation and reintroduction of grammar schools.

I support free tuition fees for STEM subjects. These are the future of our economic interests.

I hate this culture of islamic radicalisation. I live in a predominate islamic area so I see it all the time, even my muslim friends admit there is problems. It requires a tough and strong party to tackle this problem, Tories and Labour sit back and let it grow.

I support stronger sentences for criminals. I hate the likes of murderers, rapists, paedophiles, terrorists and so on with a passion. We have a culture of half sentences on good behaivour or slap on then wrist. I want tougher laws.

I want to take back our fisheries

I want to end this benefit and health tourism in this country

I support free healthcare to the point of access.

I believe charity starts at home and we should first look after our own and therefore redirect foreign aid to our national citizens who require it so dearly

I could go on all day
Shelby95
Rep:
?
There are various reasons. One I am not opposed to immigration but I want a controlled system where people are picked from any country and judged purely on their credentials- what they can bring in terms of social and economic Opportunites.

I am opposed to an EU political union but support a common trading market. Jean Claude Junker had made it clear on multiple occasions he is a federalist. He wants to federalise Europe. He wants an EU army, an EU wide tax, a Single EU wide education system the list goes on. I will not see our country become an EU state.

I am opposed to HS2.

I support English votes for English laws and scottish votes for scottish laws and so on for Wales and NI. Niether labour nor tories will deliver on this, they prefer the scots to have more rights.

I support a thorough review of the Barnett formula, no citizen should receive more money per head.

I support an end to the EU court of human rights and 1998 human rights act and instead a reformed bill of human rights which erases this political correctness culture Labour created.

I support reasonable investment in our armed forces and oppose tory cuts.

Tories also have sacrificed our environment and countryside which UKIP opposes at all costs. I love the environment we have remaining in this country.

I support the creation and reintroduction of grammar schools.

I support free tuition fees for STEM subjects. These are the future of our economic interests.

I hate this culture of islamic radicalisation. I live in a predominate islamic area so I see it all the time, even my muslim friends admit there is problems. It requires a tough and strong party to tackle this problem, Tories and Labour sit back and let it grow.

I support stronger sentences for criminals. I hate the likes of murderers, rapists, paedophiles, terrorists and so on with a passion. We have a culture of half sentences on good behaivour or slap on then wrist. I want tougher laws.

I want to take back our fisheries

I want to end this benefit and health tourism in this country

I support free healthcare to the point of access.

I believe charity starts at home and we should first look after our own and therefore redirect foreign aid to our national citizens who require it so dearly

I could go on all day

1) EU referendum
2) immigration/migrant-benefits reforms
3) lower/flatter taxation
4) abolition of inheritance tax
5) less foreign aid spending
6) a right of recall law
7) a good chance of not going to more wars (based on their record of opposition towards libya, syria, etc)

what policies from the conservatives are you voting in relation to?
Great I actually like those that you both named (I actually used to support UKIP last year), particularly the idea of more power back into our governments hands the toughening up on criminals. I just asked because the people I encountered offline always name immigration and nothing else, nice too see others know more policies.

I'm voting conservatives mostly because of their long term plan to reduce the deficit/debt, which seems to be working right now. I like that they are able to present a structured 'plan of attack' rather than several random ideas on everything. Also for capping welfare (for those who don't need it and reducing down on false claims), immigration control (having to be here 2 years if you claim benefits & reducing net migration). I think they have or are making a "Britain test" for people to take. Their investments in employment like apprenticeships and also education overall. However as a student I'd like to see our grants/loans increased so we can actually live and pay our rent. That's one thing I'd like any of the parties to comment on.
Swanbow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If the Conservative Party became One Nation Tory again I would possibly consider it. But under their current incarnation I have no interest in voting for them.
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Great I actually like those that you both named (I actually used to support UKIP last year), particularly the idea of more power back into our governments hands the toughening up on criminals. I just asked because the people I encountered offline always name immigration and nothing else, nice too see others know more policies.

I'm voting conservatives mostly because of their long term plan to reduce the deficit/debt, which seems to be working right now. I like that they are able to present a structured 'plan of attack' rather than several random ideas on everything. Also for capping welfare (for those who don't need it and reducing down on false claims), immigration control (having to be here 2 years if you claim benefits & reducing net migration). I think they have or are making a "Britain test" for people to take. Their investments in employment like apprenticeships and also education overall. However as a student I'd like to see our grants/loans increased so we can actually live and pay our rent. That's one thing I'd like any of the parties to comment on.
my problem is that the conservatives lied, and they pretty much lied far worse than the lib dems on their party's policy (we all know which one) - they said they'd lower the rate of immigration from 100,000s to 10,000 and it's like 200,000 a year+ now while at least the lib dems made it so, although it would be 9000 a year, pretty much nobody had to pay it all off because most people, in terms of what the government have found, won't pay it back quick enough for it to actually get paid off before the time limit and the write-off point. labour, on the other hand, admitted they "got it wrong" but they aren't adopting the needed policy to show that they learned from their mistakes. the lib dems clearly don't want to limit immigration. so who else would that leave for people cocnerned about immigration other than UKIP? if the conservatives campaign *in favour* of a pretty much not-reformed EU, they will lose every thread of respect I ever had for them. as if I had much respect either way.
The two eds
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

While I support Economic growth as it currently is I do not support doing so while we sacrifice our democratic, social and political values in the process. If the UK continues to decline as it does putting economy aside I will leave this country for a better life in a nation I 100% intend to respect in terms of learning the host language, abiding by their values, accepting any limits on my right to claim and so on. I have little care for the economic stability of the country if it is the complete pits that bows down to Brussels. I wish to live in no country like that. I am pretty certain if Labour get in power come this May on completion of my degree and securing financial security for myself and family I will 100% leave as Labour are a walking disaster.
Ebony19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Strong thread title to evil profile pic ratio!!!
The two eds
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
my problem is that the conservatives lied, and they pretty much lied far worse than the lib dems on their party's policy (we all know which one) - they said they'd lower the rate of immigration from 100,000s to 10,000 and it's like 200,000 a year+ now while at least the lib dems made it so, although it would be 9000 a year, pretty much nobody had to pay it all off because most people, in terms of what the government have found, won't pay it back quick enough for it to actually get paid off before the time limit and the write-off point. labour, on the other hand, admitted they "got it wrong" but they aren't adopting the needed policy to show that they learned from their mistakes. the lib dems clearly don't want to limit immigration. so who else would that leave for people cocnerned about immigration other than UKIP? if the conservatives campaign *in favour* of a pretty much not-reformed EU, they will lose every thread of respect I ever had for them. as if I had much respect either way.
It is actually 300,000+
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is actually 300,000+
in terms of net migration, yeah
in terms of the amount you minus from emigration, it would be 200,000 on that count
samba
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just think they left the country in such a mess when they came out off office that we'd be in even worse trouble if we voted them again. I think I like the Conservatives because they have a plan and can explain what they want to do.
This is the problem with allowing ignorant people to vote. You believe stupid ****.
Shelby95
Rep:
?
Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider them lying on the immigration numbers more failing to deliver on a figure they gave. But I think that has alot to do with the EU and political red tape they throw about everytime we want to do something. Which is also another point I failed to mention in my original post; I support conservatives because they are the party who will give us a referendum on staying in the EU. Which is good because it shows them giving people a chance to have their say on their lives & country, unlike Labour who refuse to do so. Also (I think your sentence on 9000 refers to fee's) with the fee's being £9000 I 100% agree with you. They said fee's could be "up to" £9000 but universities are obviously going to want the most money, I think universities should have to justify their fee's and show why it should be x amount, how that amount enhances the students experience and what the student gets out of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (24)
32.43%
No I don't (35)
47.3%
I work during the holidays (15)
20.27%

Watched Threads