username1003420
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
For asthma and COPD we want to achieve a more local effect rather than systemic, for a systemic effect we'd target the alveolar sacs but for a local effect what would be the target location? Would it be the bronchi and bronchioles in the conducting zone?
username1003420
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
anyone?
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tammie123)
For asthma and COPD we want to achieve a more local effect rather than systemic, for a systemic effect we'd target the alveolar sacs but for a local effect what would be the target location? Would it be the bronchi and bronchioles in the conducting zone?
Bronchi and bronchioles is correct. That is where sympathomimetics like salbutamol (short-acting beta2 adrenergic-receptor agonist) and salmeterol (long-acting beta2 adrenergic-receptor agonist) work, on the airway smooth muscles, causing them to relax by increasing synthesis of cAMP and, therefore, causing bronchodilation.

That is also where parasympatholytics like ipratropium (short-acting M3 muscarinic-receptor antagonist) and tiotropium (long-acting M3 muscarinic-receptor antagonist) work, although they work by decreasing the synthesis of IP3, and as such, limit smooth muscle contraction, and thus, reduce bronchoconstriction.

Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.88%
Excited but a bit nervous (144)
45.14%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.91%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise