The Student Room Group

How to get an A* in Languages A Level?

Calling all languages students who got an A/A* in a language at A2 (in A2 Spanish would be particularly helpful), what did you find most useful in terms of revision? Any advice would be much appreciated - my oral exam is in about a month and my written in 2 months.

Thank you!
Original post by scavi2008
Calling all languages students who got an A/A* in a language at A2 (in A2 Spanish would be particularly helpful), what did you find most useful in terms of revision? Any advice would be much appreciated - my oral exam is in about a month and my written in 2 months.

Thank you!

Hey! I did French and German for A2 last summer :smile:

Everyone's different in terms of revision techniques, unfortunately. You've got to find what works best for you. A lot of people were using a website called Memrise for their vocabulary (I've heard it's really good, but I didn't use it personally).
My methods of revision included:
-French/German news every day/or at least every week without fail
-Radio (in the target language)
-Music (in the target language)
-I had mini conversations with myself about every day routines and issues to improve my fluency
-I practised my speaking exam with people in my class during free periods
-I recorded myself speaking and put it on my iPod to help me consolidate my speaking topic
-I went over difficult grammar points such as the passive and the subjunctive and made sure I knew about any exceptions to rules
-I wrote out for/against points for all the discursive essays I could find on the exam board's website (in the target language)
-I read all the examiners' reports that were available and made a mental note of what kind of things they were looking for and what to avoid
-I did all of the past papers that were available (we had to do some of these in class anyway)
-I compared essays in terms of language to see which types of structures were gaining me higher marks
-My exam was partly based on literature in both languages, so I wrote out lots of research on post-it notes and analysed the language and techniques where necessary
(I think I even bought a study guide in German at one point for the book I was studying)

Hope this helps a little bit, good luck!! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by chloevictoria
Hey! I did French and German for A2 last summer :smile:Everyone's different in terms of revision techniques, unfortunately. You've got to find what works best for you. A lot of people were using a website called Memrise for their vocabulary (I've heard it's really good, but I didn't use it personally).My methods of revision included:-French/German news every day/or at least every week without fail-Radio (in the target language)-Music (in the target language)-I had mini conversations with myself about every day routines and issues to improve my fluency -I practised my speaking exam with people in my class during free periods-I recorded myself speaking and put it on my iPod to help me consolidate my speaking topic-I went over difficult grammar points such as the passive and the subjunctive and made sure I knew about any exceptions to rules-I wrote out for/against points for all the discursive essays I could find on the exam board's website (in the target language)-I read all the examiners' reports that were available and made a mental note of what kind of things they were looking for and what to avoid-I did all of the past papers that were available (we had to do some of these in class anyway)-I compared essays in terms of language to see which types of structures were gaining me higher marks-My exam was partly based on literature in both languages, so I wrote out lots of research on post-it notes and analysed the language and techniques where necessary(I think I even bought a study guide in German at one point for the book I was studying)Hope this helps a little bit, good luck!! :biggrin:

thank you so much! That's incredibly useful with lots of ideas I haven't tried yet that I will definitely have a go at :biggrin:
Original post by scavi2008
thank you so much! That's incredibly useful with lots of ideas I haven't tried yet that I will definitely have a go at :biggrin:

Yay! I'm glad you found it useful. I hope some of them help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending