Kai Diawara
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For Geography, what is the step up like from GCSE to AS Level. I'm predicted an A for GCSE (likely to get an A*)

what's the workload in comparison to GCSE

Is it one of your hardest/easiest a levels

What tips do you recommend any tips to survive the jump
somegirlcalledea
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Id say I've put in minimal more effort for a level because we do the same modules for physical and I find it fairly easy. Saying that we've only just finished the course and we did rush through it...

Tips: revise from day one pretty much (I started off with rivers which I'm really confident with but didn't bother with the others and now o regret it..)

However I do really enjoy it and it gives me a chance to do some writing (I basically just do maths on my other subjects)

Posted from TSR Mobile
clonedmemories
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I found the jump from AS to A Level much more difficult than from GSCE to AS - the main part being the essay requirement which is a major step up from writing 8/10 mark answers previously. The best thing I found was to keep everything as current as possible, particularly at A2, where the more relevant, unique and interesting connections you can make, the better - keep an eye on current affairs (we did population and conflict at A2, I believe, which were both helpful in such a case) and go beyond the syllabus if you want top marks.
Aloogobi123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kai Diawara)
For Geography, what is the step up like from GCSE to AS Level. I'm predicted an A for GCSE (likely to get an A*)

what's the workload in comparison to GCSE

Is it one of your hardest/easiest a levels

What tips do you recommend any tips to survive the jump
If the exam board is AQA then A level geo isn't bad at all - lots of case study's though! I'm aiming for an A/A* at A2 and if you're good at writing essays/longer answer questions then you'll excel.

I personally didn't find the step up from GCSE that bad. Just make sure you have all of your notes and case studies in order and start absorbing as much info as early on as possible. Content wise Geography is quite big but the bulk of that is case studies so definitely do not leave revision till the last minute. In terms of hardness - well that's subjective.

Questions in geography are level marked and to score highly you must be able to expand your answers and evaluate things in sufficient depth.
peanutbutterjam
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I find A-Level geography really difficult, most likely because I'm not very good at writing academically

There's much more work involved, unlike with GCSE and for AQA, Unit 1 is pretty challenging, 120 marks in two hours, in my mocks I ran out of time haha.
Although I do suggest you go over notes at least everyday because there is a lot of content.

Good luck with your GCSEs!
Kai Diawara
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by peanutbutterjam)
I find A-Level geography really difficult, most likely because I'm not very good at writing academically

There's much more work involved, unlike with GCSE and for AQA, Unit 1 is pretty challenging, 120 marks in two hours, in my mocks I ran out of time haha.
Although I do suggest you go over notes at least everyday because there is a lot of content.

Good luck with your GCSEs!
Thanks for the advice and the sixth form I have firmed is doing the Edexcel board. Hopefully its merciful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (228)
67.66%
No (109)
32.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed