The Student Room Group

Explanation Required

I'm having a little trouble understanding the concept behind the following past paper question (question and mark scheme shown below)

It's from FP2, June 2013 (R).

I can rearrange the equation and compare coefficients to get the u = 2/x and v+1 = 0; no problem with that. But I don't quite understand what this transformation looks like / represents or why the u component is ignored.

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick or missing something really obvious!

Cheers in advance.

EDIT: I may have stumbled upon it, I think. Is it basically that u varies with x, but that all points in the w plane always lie on the line v = -1 ?
(edited 9 years ago)
A general point in the complex plane is given by x+yix+yi. This is transformed to x+yi+2ii(x+yi)=x+(y+2)iixy \frac{x+yi+2i}{i(x+yi)}=\frac{x+(y+2)i}{ix-y} . We are interested in the image of the real axis, so we are only interested in the case when y=0. Therefore we have that x+0ix+0i is transformed to x+2iix=1/i+2/x=i+2x\frac{x+2i}{ix}=1/i+2/x =-i+\frac{2}{x}.

What is the locus of i+2/x-i+2/x as x varies? Notice that x is real, so this quantity ALWAYS has imaginary part -i. Now if x can be any real number, then 2x\frac{2}{x} can be any real number except zero. So the image of the real axis in the w-plane is the horizontal line, one below the real axis, with the point (0,i) (0,-i) removed.

Since the Q just asks for the equation of the line, its just Im(z)=1Im(z)=-1 which is equivalently written as v+1=0.
**EDIT: I actually mean Im(w)=1 Im(w)=-1 since we are in the w-plane. Sorry!**

Does this help?
(edited 8 years ago)
Perfect, theOldBean! Crystal clear and simple. Not only has your explanation helped me with this question, it's given me a framework to view other questions of this sort with.

Thank you for the help! :smile:
Original post by Thevesh Theva
Perfect, theOldBean! Crystal clear and simple. Not only has your explanation helped me with this question, it's given me a framework to view other questions of this sort with.

Thank you for the help! :smile:

Just remember to look out for on the real axis or on the imaginary axis in the z-plane.

Quick Reply

Latest