The Student Room Group

Help! Choosing offers!

Hi, I'm new to SR so please let me know if I've made a mistake!
I'm struggling to choose between four offers for politics and politics and international relations and I was wondering If anyone could offer me some insight into it. I'm set on making Birmingham my insurance and am torn between firming Bath, King's and Exeter.
Thanks you in advance for any help, I'm really stuck.
Original post by rubypearl13
Hi, I'm new to SR so please let me know if I've made a mistake!
I'm struggling to choose between four offers for politics and politics and international relations and I was wondering If anyone could offer me some insight into it. I'm set on making Birmingham my insurance and am torn between firming Bath, King's and Exeter.
Thanks you in advance for any help, I'm really stuck.

I have no personal experience of Kings, Bath and Exeter so I can't offer too much specific detail but consider:
-Course - compare them and see which you prefer if you haven't already
-Environment- studying at a uni like Kings with no defined campus in a big city like London is a completely different experience to a campus near a small city like Bath or Exeter- which would you prefer?
-Cost- obviously Kings will be most expensive to live in, then Bath then Exeter
Reply 2
Thank you!
I'm still wondering which one is considered the most prestigious. I'm hoping to work in the foreign office.
The cost of King's isn't an issue considering I could live at home.
Out of the three I would say King's and Exeter > Bath. Now consider the modules they offer, the kind of opportunities you might have in both (exchanges, internships, and so on), and the environment: two very different contexts in which to study. Obviously London offers much more than Exeter in terms of outside opportunities, and surely King's faculty will have connections that might be interesting... But I would not rule out Exeter because of that, especially if you like a smaller environment, campus uni, ...
i would say prestige wise, king's would win. if money isn't a problem than going to london would give you so much more opportunities. For politics it's a very strong university and there are loads of societies related which you can join which may help you later - i may be a little biased as I just also firmed king's for medicine. But i also had 4 offers so i did a lot of research before choosing. Hope that helps!
Original post by rubypearl13
Thank you!
I'm still wondering which one is considered the most prestigious. I'm hoping to work in the foreign office.
The cost of King's isn't an issue considering I could live at home.

First of all prestige won't help you to be happy and do well which is the most important thing. Secondly when it comes to the foreign office the most important thing is the application not the university you went to.
I live in exeter. I'm aware that my local uni is in the top 5 or 10 for loads of it's coerces. Plus it's prestige it such that there is an (inaccurate) stereotype of 'snobby Exeter'.

I'd say that these 3 are all on the same level prestige wise.

However you may want to do some research. Maybe you should look at categories within league tables e.g student satisfaction, student spend etc (also the Times Student Experience Guide)
Because the danger with the 'top' 'prestigious' Unis is that some don't actually do that well as an institution of learning (lectures going half way round the world to do research every 5 minuets as one example).

As a lot of 'prestige' comes from the Unis history or research assessment so doesn't always make your degree any better.

As for getting a job, any employer who values the 'type' of Uni you went to, over your relevant experience and grades is not worth working for.
Reply 7
I ended up going with Exeter simply based on KCL's student satisfaction. Thanks for the advice, it helped!
Are you enjoying Exeter? I'm undecided between it or Bath for my firm for Politics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending