The Student Room Group

22 and feeling directionless in life.

I am 22 and I am currently an apprentice electrician. I have been in this job for almost 7 months. These last few months for me have been the hardest, every morning I wake up feeling incredibly anxious for what awaits me in the day ahead. I have persevered this long despite how I feel.

I think it stems from my current work environment. I often get sworn at when I struggle to understand how to carry out a particular task. The people that are supposed to be training me have zero patience for me and like to point out how stupid I am and yell at me for it. I would rather not go into fine detail on this, but I'm hoping someone who reads this can relate to a hostile workplace! As a result, I have grown to hate my job and I also think very little of myself as well and struggle to have a shred of self-confidence. I have spoken to management about this but very little has been done.

I have tried to make friends with the people I work with -- but I haven't been very successful and I don't have the best people skills.

Apart from this I have tried to communicate how I feel to friends and family; they understand to an extent but they would rather see me stay in my job.

I just feel so out of place in the world right now. I feel like I am incapable of becoming good at any job. I have never felt depressed before in my life and it honestly scares me to feel like this. I feel so down at the moment and overwhelmed by everything that is going on.

I often find myself researching new career paths and I am toying with the possibility of going to university (Accounting or Nursing). I just don't know what I should do and feel very directionless in life.

Sorry for such a long winded post. I just don't know what to do.
Original post by Anonymous
I am 22 and I am currently an apprentice electrician. I have been in this job for almost 7 months. These last few months for me have been the hardest, every morning I wake up feeling incredibly anxious for what awaits me in the day ahead. I have persevered this long despite how I feel.

I think it stems from my current work environment. I often get sworn at when I struggle to understand how to carry out a particular task. The people that are supposed to be training me have zero patience for me and like to point out how stupid I am and yell at me for it. I would rather not go into fine detail on this, but I'm hoping someone who reads this can relate to a hostile workplace! As a result, I have grown to hate my job and I also think very little of myself as well and struggle to have a shred of self-confidence. I have spoken to management about this but very little has been done.

I have tried to make friends with the people I work with -- but I haven't been very successful and I don't have the best people skills.

Apart from this I have tried to communicate how I feel to friends and family; they understand to an extent but they would rather see me stay in my job.

I just feel so out of place in the world right now. I feel like I am incapable of becoming good at any job. I have never felt depressed before in my life and it honestly scares me to feel like this. I feel so down at the moment and overwhelmed by everything that is going on.

I often find myself researching new career paths and I am toying with the possibility of going to university (Accounting or Nursing). I just don't know what I should do and feel very directionless in life.

Sorry for such a long winded post. I just don't know what to do.

Hey :smile: Sorry you're going through this, it's horrible to always be put down for everything you do. Really I think you need to move jobs- if it's affecting your health it's not worth being there, whatever people say. It sounds like what you're feeling is mostly situational, but have you tried going to your GP? They'll have seen a lot of people in your situation and may be able to sign you off for a bit or suggest other places you could get help, or even something like medication if they think it'd help you. Well worth a visit anyway!
It sounds like a change of direction would be good for you. I'm going back to university to start a nursing degree this September, after a long time out of work and education, and it's made me feel so much better in myself after a long time feeling completely useless and directionless. I'd definitely recommend having a look at some different universities and getting a good idea of what you'd be letting yourself in for; you might be too late for this year's intake, but a lot of places have a February intake, so you could get around to some open days and find out more about possibly getting into nursing.

I think getting out of your current work environment would help, too - it sounds really toxic and is probably not doing much for your self-esteem! If your financial situation allows it, doing some volunteering in the care sector might help you to decide whether nursing would be for you, and it would definitely look good on a UCAS application - in fact, many universities require that you've had some work experience in that area, so it would be doubly useful. Your local NHS trust may have information on volunteer opportunities, and there are lots of volunteer organisations that can point you in the right direction too. It may also be possible to find openings at local care homes, which is where a lot of prospective student nurses get experience.
Reply 3
Hello,

I'm really sorry you're going through a hard time just now.

It actually sounds like you do know what to do- in order to feel happy and in control it sounds like you feel you need to start something new and perhaps study to become a nurse or accountant.

I'm a little older than you and know that at 22 you don't feel young but I just wanted to point out that you are still very young (think about it- 21 is the first year of full-adulthood, you are at the start of your twenties and have your whole life in front of you so you can choose what to do now and even if anything goes wrong you have plenty of time to put it right :smile: ) Remember to enjoy your youth and not spend all your time stressing!

If you are really unsure what to do then it might be a good idea to see a counsellor (you can get a referral through your GP or research local counsellors in your area) or a life coach who can enable you to consider all the options that open to you.

Quick Reply

Latest