Prep for AS/A Level Government + Politics/Economics and how is it?!!

Watch
gracehk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello!!

I am currently doing iGCSEs in Hong Kong but I'm returning to the UK next year for A Levels and Uni.

To get into the school I really wanted, I have to take 4 A Levels: I've chosen Economics, Maths, French and Government + Politics. I'm quite worried though, as it's not only a new school with new people (and I haven't lived in the UK for 4 years!!!) but also two new subjects as I haven't studied Economics or Gov Pol before.

I was wondering if anybody had any good websites or resources that are easy to read and not overly in depth that I could look at over the next few months before I start and especially after I take my GCSEs?? I guess I should start reading an English newspaper a bit more as I feel a bit isolated from the UK over here!!

Also how are you finding them? I haven't studied Econ or Business Studies at iGCSE level, but I do have some interest in them, although Gov Pol was a last minute, last resort choice. Hopefully it's not too tricky!

Thanks in advance!!
Emily:love:

(Edit: The exams boards are AQA for Econ and Edexcel for GP)
Jcoe
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For anyone doing 4C I want to miss out congress and do the other 3 because it is by far the longest and takes up 40% of the whole unit! Is this a good game to play for this exam.... Thoughts?
username1822535
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by emilygrace99)
Hello!!

I am currently doing iGCSEs in Hong Kong but I'm returning to the UK next year for A Levels and Uni.

To get into the school I really wanted, I have to take 4 A Levels: I've chosen Economics, Maths, French and Government + Politics. I'm quite worried though, as it's not only a new school with new people (and I haven't lived in the UK for 4 years!!!) but also two new subjects as I haven't studied Economics or Gov Pol before.

I was wondering if anybody had any good websites or resources that are easy to read and not overly in depth that I could look at over the next few months before I start and especially after I take my GCSEs?? I guess I should start reading an English newspaper a bit more as I feel a bit isolated from the UK over here!!

Also how are you finding them? I haven't studied Econ or Business Studies at iGCSE level, but I do have some interest in them, although Gov Pol was a last minute, last resort choice. Hopefully it's not too tricky!

Thanks in advance!!

I do economics and politics and A-level and they are enjoyable subjects if you keep on top of them! The resources your college/ sixth form provide should be enough but once you get started and you know the exam board you can always buy the textbooks.

For all your subjects in A-level just start revising from the first week when you start so you can keep on top of your work throughout the year because if you leave it all to the last minute it's just going to be too much for you. For economics you don't really need any background knowledge however for politics you may want to brush up your knowledge on how the government works and keep up to date with the news!

You should deffo read some newspapers especially as there is the general election coming up
gracehk
Rep:
?
(Original post by gelato72)
I do economics and politics and A-level and they are enjoyable subjects if you keep on top of them! The resources your college/ sixth form provide should be enough but once you get started and you know the exam board you can always buy the textbooks.

For all your subjects in A-level just start revising from the first week when you start so you can keep on top of your work throughout the year because if you leave it all to the last minute it's just going to be too much for you. For economics you don't really need any background knowledge however for politics you may want to brush up your knowledge on how the government works and keep up to date with the news!

You should deffo read some newspapers especially as there is the general election coming up

Yes I agree, I need to read some more newspapers!! Thank you so much for your advice x
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi. I'm doing both Government & Politics and Economics for A level and didn't study any of the subjects prior to last year (in fact, I knew nearly nothing about Politics before!). Reading up about politics on the news would be a good thing to do, as already suggested. I really enjoy these subjects and although A2 is a pain, it's definitely worth it!
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jcoe)
For anyone doing 4C I want to miss out congress and do the other 3 because it is by far the longest and takes up 40% of the whole unit! Is this a good game to play for this exam.... Thoughts?
As long as you revise the other three well it's fine. I'll probably miss out the presidency as I find it the most boring topic, but I don't think I'll completely ignore it (I'll make sure I know the bare minimum on it just in case).
The Legal Eagle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello!!

Thanks in advance!!
Hi!

I'm doing both GP and Econ now (preparing for AS exams in a few weeks!) - thoroughly enjoying both! They really do complement each other, and econ I find especially interesting - I'm a bit of a political big-wig, so it explains a lot.

It costs a little, but your college/school may be subscribed already, but Hodder Education have really good magazines. They have a Politics Review and Economics Review - amongst other subjects. They're really easy to understand, up-to-date and really fascinating, with loads of good resources.

If you can, try and keep up to speed with the coverage of the run up to, and the actual, General in May. That'll probably come up a lot during your studies!

It's actually really easy - politics that is - for the exam. The board I'm doing - AQA - you study 4 topics (voting behaviour, electoral systems, political parties, pressure groups) and (British constitution, Parliament, core executive (basically the government and civil service) and multi level governance (Devolution/EU/Local Authorities) for the 2 papers, then answer 2 questions (made up of a 5, 10, 25 marker (25 is laughably easy - 3 arguments for one view, 3 the other!) each question).
Economics is slightly harder in the paper, as a lot of it is applying knowledge - which I personally struggle with. Others find it fine, though.

If you've got any questions, at all, feel free to get in touch!
username1822535
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Legal Eagle)
Hi!

I'm doing both GP and Econ now (preparing for AS exams in a few weeks!) - thoroughly enjoying both! They really do complement each other, and econ I find especially interesting - I'm a bit of a political big-wig, so it explains a lot.

It costs a little, but your college/school may be subscribed already, but Hodder Education have really good magazines. They have a Politics Review and Economics Review - amongst other subjects. They're really easy to understand, up-to-date and really fascinating, with loads of good resources.

If you can, try and keep up to speed with the coverage of the run up to, and the actual, General in May. That'll probably come up a lot during your studies!

It's actually really easy - politics that is - for the exam. The board I'm doing - AQA - you study 4 topics (voting behaviour, electoral systems, political parties, pressure groups) and (British constitution, Parliament, core executive (basically the government and civil service) and multi level governance (Devolution/EU/Local Authorities) for the 2 papers, then answer 2 questions (made up of a 5, 10, 25 marker (25 is laughably easy - 3 arguments for one view, 3 the other!) each question).
Economics is slightly harder in the paper, as a lot of it is applying knowledge - which I personally struggle with. Others find it fine, though.

I'm also doing AQA politics! Which topics are you doing for each paper? As in for unit 2 out of the four topics I'm doing core executive and parliament and for unit 1 I'm doing voting behaviour and pressure groups. How do you revise?
The Legal Eagle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm also doing AQA politics! Which topics are you doing for each paper? As in for unit 2 out of the four topics I'm doing core executive and parliament and for unit 1 I'm doing voting behaviour and pressure groups. How do you revise?
Im revising VB, electoral systems, and pressure groups, to write about electoral systems and either of the others.
Probably Parliament and Brit Con - I'm doing Law, too, so there's LOADS of overlap with BC.

For me, I just read and read. Then teach the dog. She often runs away but speaking is the best way to learn. So it works.
gracehk
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Legal Eagle)
Hi!

Gosh so much information- thank you!!

I've just looked on my 6th Form Prospectus and it turns out that we do Edexcel for GP and AQA for Economics. I'm guessing that the exam boards will be fairly similar but I think that we basically do one year of English politics, and one year of American politics. But yes, I've heard Politics is more boring than tricky!!!

Thanks again for your help and good luck in your exam!!
Emily
gracehk
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheTechN1304)
Hi. I'm doing both Government & Politics and Economics for A level and didn't study any of the subjects prior to last year (in fact, I knew nearly nothing about Politics before!). Reading up about politics on the news would be a good thing to do, as already suggested. I really enjoy these subjects and although A2 is a pain, it's definitely worth it!

You sound like you were in the exact same position as me then!! Okay will do, many thanks!
The Legal Eagle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I've just looked on my 6th Form Prospectus and it turns out that we do Edexcel for GP and AQA for Economics. I'm guessing that the exam boards will be fairly similar but I think that we basically do one year of English politics, and one year of American politics. But yes, I've heard Politics is more boring than tricky!!!

Emily
AQA is quitr different to WJEC for the exam, but it's roughly the same information.

GP is pretty much the same for whichever exam board - there'll likely be 2 papers each year (the 2 brackets (with 4 topics in) are first year). I'll be doing America next year, too.
There's really no difference in the exams!

Good luck!
username1822535
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Emily
Ah thank you! Don't worry you should be fine though and yes GP edexcel is fairly similar to AQA bc my friend does edexcel and we are pretty much revising the same content once you start your courses next year feel free to PM and I will be more than happy to help you!!
gracehk
Rep:
?
Ah thank you! Don't worry you should be fine though and yes GP edexcel is fairly similar to AQA bc my friend does edexcel and we are pretty much revising the same content once you start your courses next year feel free to PM and I will be more than happy to help you!!

Fab thank you!! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (701)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.64%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.45%

Watched Threads