The Student Room Group

Royal Military Police

Hi guys, I'm just wondering as the RMP seems like a good choice what should i do. I want to do A levels so should i join as an officer or solider, considering i want to be in the action. What branch is best investigation or close protection? Can i transfer to infantry or become an engineer later on?
Can i do para training with the RMP and would it still let me be RMP?

What at is the general thoughts of the RMP are they good or bad.
Anyone got another unit suggestions, experience in paras and RMP.

t
Sorry about big question.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lewislloyd
Hi guys, I'm just wondering as the RMP seems like a good choice what should i do. I want to do A levels so should i join as an officer or solider, considering i want to be in the action. What branch is best investigation or close protection? Can i transfer to infantry or become an engineer later on?

t

Have you spoken to your local careers office yet? That might be a good idea to start off with.

If you're doing A levels would you consider university? If you have the potential to do well at uni then it's a good idea to do this first prior to joining the forces. You'll always have your degree to fall back on, it's also likely that it'll strengthen an application for an officer role if you do the right degree.

As a soldier it's possible to transfer to another corps or regiment later on in your career, however this can be difficult and is often discouraged by your current unit. I also think that someone who were to transfer to an infantry regiment after years in the RMP would be in for quite a tough time, as the RMP are sometimes not the most popular of people due to the nature of their role. There is an RMP unit attached to 16 air assault as far as I can remember, so there is scope for you to do P company if you were posted with them.

Here's something for you to think about as well, infantry and engineer units have their own "in house" provost unit whoa re responsible for policing and discipline of the unit they're part of, if you're keen on working in the infantry or RE then this could be an option for you as well.
Original post by moonkatt
Have you spoken to your local careers office yet? That might be a good idea to start off with.

If you're doing A levels would you consider university? If you have the potential to do well at uni then it's a good idea to do this first prior to joining the forces. You'll always have your degree to fall back on, it's also likely that it'll strengthen an application for an officer role if you do the right degree.

As a soldier it's possible to transfer to another corps or regiment later on in your career, however this can be difficult and is often discouraged by your current unit. I also think that someone who were to transfer to an infantry regiment after years in the RMP would be in for quite a tough time, as the RMP are sometimes not the most popular of people due to the nature of their role. There is an RMP unit attached to 16 air assault as far as I can remember, so there is scope for you to do P company if you were posted with them.

Here's something for you to think about as well, infantry and engineer units have their own "in house" provost unit whoa re responsible for policing and discipline of the unit they're part of, if you're keen on working in the infantry or RE then this could be an option for you as well.

Thx for reply, as I go to cadets I spoke to a visitor who works with career advice there as well as getting loads of leaflets. No to uni as expensive and I probs wanna be a solider. Air assault sounds good, so a little plan formed...

Join rmp then go onto close protection before moving on to being a parachutist.

Again thx for advice I'll do some looking into later tonight
Reply 3
Transferring is possible however it would depend on vacancies available etc etc. It is always recommended that you do your research and join the corps/regiment that you really want to join off the bat.
Original post by lewislloyd

t

RMP's are attached to infantry companies and/or bases and police those areas, if that's what you are asking? As for changing roles then it's nigh impossible. One does not normally become a RMP officer, and then become a infantry officer (least of all because everyone hates you as you or one of your colleagues are likely to have arrested them at some point) or change corps roles (unless you are a prince). If you want to do infantry, do infantry. If you want to build bridges and blow stuff up, join the artillery or royal engineers. If you want to arrest squaddies, protect diplomats and be Scooby doo solving mysteries, join the RMP. But please don't think that if you join the RMP and then go onto pass p company and/or the all arms commando course you will be first off the plane to kill bellends and be an all round wheeler and dealer of death when **** kicks off. That's the job of the infantry.

You can do any branch you wish, why are you asking us? They are both equally valuable. We need close protection and special investigators, there is no "best". Whichever suits your character is the one you should go for.

Focus on your education and do as well as you can before you consider applying.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest