Weirdowithnoname
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm choosing my GCSES and I don't know whether to do Geography or Spanish. I've already chosen:
Maths
English lit
English Lang
French
RE
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
History
Music
I'm the future I want to study medicine at Oxford. What do you think?
EitakBuzz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Weirdowithnoname)
I'm choosing my GCSES and I don't know whether to do Geography or Spanish. I've already chosen:
Maths
English lit
English Lang
French
RE
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
History
Music
I'm the future I want to study medicine at Oxford. What do you think?
Okay let me just tell you. If you want to study medicine, they will not care if you do Spanish or Geography. At GCSE it is irrelevant what you choose as long as you have Maths + Sciences down.

At A-level, it matters a lot more. But no one is going to deny you a place at Oxford if you have straight A-A*s in Maths and Sciences but OH! They took Geography rather than Spanish.

Do what interests you and what you think you'll enjoy more. They put so much pressure on people to do something relevant to their future but at this point it doesn't matter.

On a separate note: If you're already doing French, you may want to lay off the language front, unless you really enjoy languages. Coursework for GCSE languages is a ***** and I hate it, and I only do one language! It's very time consuming. But if you really enjoy it, it'll be worth it.

Best of luck! x
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You already have one modern foreign language, and two 'humanities' in your choices so you already have a good range of subjects - it's up to you I would say: choose the one you will do better in and enjoy more!
I take french and geography and I find french easy to cope with and geography quite dull - case studies... :mad:. It's up to personal opinion really.

Though geography, history and re might be a handful - the majority of my year only take one or at most two of these choices - three wasn't advised due to the content and writing you would have to do - spanish might be a better choice if you have an aptitude for it, in this case? If you think you can cope and want to do geography by all means do - time organisation will have to be good though!

My personal opinion - hope it helped.
It really doesn't make a difference which you choose, only the grade you get as you want to take medicine at oxford. Bear in mind also that not only do the numbers of A* count but also the proportion of them out of the total. So don't put too much on yourself if it means too much stress that you won't get the grades you want - you'll want to participate in other things as well!! (extra curricular, volunteering, hobbies etc)

EDIT: Ooops, are the boards igcse or gcse for the languages? I only have experience with edexcel igcse so no coursework (only a speaking) on my front - not sure about the gcse :confused: but I think there is
valbrechts
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
dont even bother. Drop them both. You have enough subjects so just focus on As in those. Buuuuuuut, if you had to, then take Geographyyyyy. You'll have to learn trop vocabulaire avec les duex cours: le francais et espagnol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.36%
Not great so far... (229)
35.39%
I want to drop out! (126)
19.47%

Watched Threads