The Student Room Group

Driving test tomorrow ! Really Nervous! Any advice?

Hi everyone!!

So I've got my driving test tomorrow and Im so scared! I only turned 17 at the end of February so i admit I haven't been driving long but my instructor thinks Im ready! i had 2 1 and a half hour lessons today. The first lesson was awful but the second one went really well! We did a mock test on an actual test route and i got 2 minors and a major for not putting my hand break on when doing a turn in the road! I go through phases when Im confident and then when Im really scared! Ive watched loads of videos online on youtube etc on how to perform all the manoeuvres but still they could easily go wrong! I really want to pass first time. Does anyone have any advice or anything they can say to make me feel better lol?

Cheers!!
I failed my first time due to being too nervous. That's my implicit advice for ya!
Reply 2
Original post by hellodave5
I failed my first time due to being too nervous. That's my implicit advice for ya!

Haha, i just need to go slow and try not to be nervous i reckon, then I might be okay?
Reply 3
Just be calm and try not to think it is a test, just pretend it's your instructor that's in the car with you. Try not to watch videos or overthink the manoeuvres, that's what I did. I drove the night before my test and started to change the way I drove and it made me perform worse - I stalled for the first time in my instructors car on my test.

Just relax and perform everything slower than you normally would and you should be fine.
Original post by Eddie21298
Haha, i just need to go slow and try not to be nervous i reckon, then I might be okay?

If you're probably more laid back going in thinking it doesn't matter if you have to re-do it 3 or 4 times - you may be better off. Nervousness was bad for me the first time, stalled the car right off. Though I only got 3 minors (both times), I got a serious on the first attempt due to nervousness - more likely to make mistakes.
Reply 5
Original post by annoy123
Just be calm and try not to think it is a test, just pretend it's your instructor that's in the car with you. Try not to watch videos or overthink the manoeuvres, that's what I did. I drove the night before my test and started to change the way I drove and it made me perform worse - I stalled for the first time in my instructors car on my test.

Just relax and perform everything slower than you normally would and you should be fine.

Thank you!!!
Reply 6
If you're probably more laid back going in thinking it doesn't matter if you have to re-do it 3 or 4 times - you may be better off. Nervousness was bad for me the first time, stalled the car right off. Though I only got 3 minors (both times), I got a serious on the first attempt due to nervousness - more likely to make mistakes.

Thank You!!!

You didn't stall in all of your 20+ hours learning to drive? =o
I stalled maaaany times.
Hi everyone!!

So I've got my driving test tomorrow and Im so scared! I only turned 17 at the end of February so i admit I haven't been driving long but my instructor thinks Im ready! i had 2 1 and a half hour lessons today. The first lesson was awful but the second one went really well! We did a mock test on an actual test route and i got 2 minors and a major for not putting my hand break on when doing a turn in the road! I go through phases when Im confident and then when Im really scared! Ive watched loads of videos online on youtube etc on how to perform all the manoeuvres but still they could easily go wrong! I really want to pass first time. Does anyone have any advice or anything they can say to make me feel better lol?

Cheers!!

Good luck!! :biggrin:
My advice would be to take your time, don't try to rush through things like roundabouts/right turns in the fear you are annoying drivers behind you or that you have waited too long. When you see a safe gap, go then and don't worry about spending a long time at roundabouts waiting for a gap. Its better to wait for the safe gap rather than pull out trying to fit into a small gap that may fail you for making others brake around you.
Also check your mirrors often and make it obvious that you are checking them when turning and changing lanes etc, especially for whatever maneuver you get!.
Try not to panic and overthink things either, these will only break your concentration.

Also just be extra aware of other road users. They may do something you don't expect like speed or pull out infront of you so try to predict what they will do so you have time to react :smile:

Let us know how you get on tomorrow!
Reply 9
You didn't stall in all of your 20+ hours learning to drive? =o
I stalled maaaany times.

I learnt the basics before I started learning with my driving instructor. I went out with my dad and we practiced just the clutch, that was it really. I didn't really stall that much, I kind of just picked it up. With regards to learning with my instructor, I never stalled until my test :frown:
I learnt the basics before I started learning with my driving instructor. I went out with my dad and we practiced just the clutch, that was it really. I didn't really stall that much, I kind of just picked it up. With regards to learning with my instructor, I never stalled until my test :frown:

My driving instructor tried to make me stall or mess up, it seems: took me on the worst roads he could find and everything haha. 40% inclines aren't fun :frown:

I wish my family could have taught me, but wouldn't have worked, ever. No patience :P
My driving instructor tried to make me stall or mess up, it seems: took me on the worst roads he could find and everything haha. 40% inclines aren't fun :frown:

I wish my family could have taught me, but wouldn't have worked, ever. No patience :P

That's the best way to practice the clutch control. I think by perfecting the inline clutch control, this literally means you can start the car from anywhere. It is cheaper and quicker to practice, you can practice on what you wanna do haha, my dad taught me the clutch, I think enjoyed teaching me though.
Hi everyone!!

Cheers!!

How did you do? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
How did you do? :smile:

Well I failed. Got only 4 minors and then one serious for 'road markings' really confused. Went to rebook and the only test available is a month today so I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a cancellation! Thanks for all your help and hopefully I'll pass second time round!
Well I failed. Got only 4 minors and then one serious for 'road markings' really confused. Went to rebook and the only test available is a month today so I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a cancellation! Thanks for all your help and hopefully I'll pass second time round!

Awww no I'm sorry to hear that! :frown:
What type of road marking was it? :s Such a odd thing to fail on
Reply 15
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Awww no I'm sorry to hear that! :frown:
What type of road marking was it? :s Such a odd thing to fail on

Basically was on the independent driving, found myself in the wrong lane so I signalled to move across but then I realised I didn't have time so I cancelled the signal and said 'it's not safe for me to move across can you redirect me please' and the examiner said if I hadent indicated I would have passed

Gutted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending