The Student Room Group

Will I get an automatic tax rebate?

I started working at Tesco on December 6th, and got paid on December 19th. I was emergency taxed about £36 (can't remember the exact figure off the top of my head). By the time I got paid again, I received a letter from HMRC saying that they have reviewed my tax code and I will be paying no tax.

Has this money been reimbursed in one of my pay packets since then? Or do I need to ring up and explain that I need a rebate... or will I perhaps receive a cheque in the post?

Any help is appreciated, I'm new to all this :biggrin:
Original post by SP0TIFY
I started working at Tesco on December 6th, and got paid on December 19th. I was emergency taxed about £36 (can't remember the exact figure off the top of my head). By the time I got paid again, I received a letter from HMRC saying that they have reviewed my tax code and I will be paying no tax.

Has this money been reimbursed in one of my pay packets since then? Or do I need to ring up and explain that I need a rebate... or will I perhaps receive a cheque in the post?

Any help is appreciated, I'm new to all this :biggrin:

As I assume that you're still working, don't expect a cheque in the post. :nah:

Is your current employer still Tesco? If so, once your tax code was corrected you should see this shown on your payslips (probably with a code of 1000L) and, provided that HMRC have had full details of your tax position and income, you'll probably see that your first payslip with the new tax code shows a negative income tax deduction - this would be the refund that you're expecting.

If you don't see this, let us know what your payslips are showing.
Reply 2
Original post by Illusionary
As I assume that you're still working, don't expect a cheque in the post. :nah:

Is your current employer still Tesco? If so, once your tax code was corrected you should see this shown on your payslips (probably with a code of 1000L) and, provided that HMRC have had full details of your tax position and income, you'll probably see that your first payslip with the new tax code shows a negative income tax deduction - this would be the refund that you're expecting.

If you don't see this, let us know what your payslips are showing.

Hi, I've just looked back through my payslips and haven't had any rebates or negative tax payments since I was moved into the tax code 100L, as you suggested. Instead, I actually had to pay £3.26 in NI contributions during my second month, though I think this is due to the amount I earnt in that month??

On the tesco payslip website there's now an option to view your P60, though this won't be uploaded/given out in store until Friday, which is our next payday... will this suggest that I am owed money? I know it's not a lot, but every penny counts!! :wink:
Original post by SP0TIFY
Hi, I've just looked back through my payslips and haven't had any rebates or negative tax payments since I was moved into the tax code 100L, as you suggested. Instead, I actually had to pay £3.26 in NI contributions during my second month, though I think this is due to the amount I earnt in that month??

On the tesco payslip website there's now an option to view your P60, though this won't be uploaded/given out in store until Friday, which is our next payday... will this suggest that I am owed money? I know it's not a lot, but every penny counts!! :wink:

Okay... it's a little hard to say for certain without direct access to your payslips, etc., but if there are no income tax refund showing on your payslips that suggests that you've not yet had this repaid. Your best bet if you'd like certainty would be to make a quick call to HMRC (have your NI number to hand) as they should be able to check for you fairly readily. Your P60 ought to include the tax that you previously had deducted, if everything's been brought together fully - I guess that you'll find out soon enough on that front!

NI contributions for employees are based on pay in the pay period in question, in isolation, so having a small deduction for those isn't unusual here.
You may not actually see a refund appear on your payslips. As we've just started a new tax year, Tesco may have received another new tax code for you, which will be active from your next pay day. That tax code may be slightly higher than normal to compensate you paying more in December.

Either way, I suggest calling HMRC to confirm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DarkMagic
You may not actually see a refund appear on your payslips. As we've just started a new tax year, Tesco may have received another new tax code for you, which will be active from your next pay day. That tax code may be slightly higher than normal to compensate you paying more in December.

Either way, I suggest calling HMRC to confirm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the refund is paid via PAYE, I don't see why it wouldn't show on the relevant payslip? We're talking here about a refund that I'd expect would have been paid at the time of the initial correction of the 2014/15 tax code, if it has actually been paid. The payslip total does have to reconcile to net pay, after all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending