The Student Room Group

I cant do english literature and i'm stressing and i can't talk to anyone

I just can't do it, i'm stressing so much. Who gives a flying **** about the woman in black? The author bores me to death and she's an awful writer. I can't write the essay because i don't know what to write and i don't know how to quote from the book because i don't know it because it just wont go in. I'm so stressed and upset, i just want to do well. Everyone's like 'oh yeah, you'll be fine' and putting this kind of pressure on me, but WHAT IF I'M NOT GOING TO DO WELL?!?! I try to tell mum i cant do it and i'm stressed, but then she's like 'you won't let me speak, you're not listening to me' of course i am it's just you're being stubborn and rude for not helping me. I have anxiety issues and i'm slightly autistic and nobody gets that, they think i'm going to fly by with all A's. Yeah, well what if i get a B? Just because i'm good at my other subjects, doesn't mean im good at doing others. Doesn't help that grandpa died last week (mum's dad) and so she's more upset than usual, and i've been really supportive for her and i've basically been a lovely person to her, but now i'm upset and stressed and she's just oblivious and thinks i'm stressing for no reason. NO I'M NOT, YOU'LL FIND OUT WHEN I GET A D IN ENGLISH LIT AND THEN YOU'LL WISH YOU DID SOMETHING TO HELP ME. I can't talk to anyone, and we're on easter holiday break. What do i do? I've emailed english teacher, but she hasn't replied. What do i do?

but that's not for gcse. We have to remember where quotes are in WIB and write about them with points and i can't do it. I don't remember where anything is and what happens in each part of the book.
Okay so calm down first lol that's the first. You can do this by not wasting any time and ordering a revision booklet. This will help you clear you mind about taking extra notes. It'll literally feel like you've got the notes you need. Then look at examples of past paper answers. Like A*/A ones. Then pick out their structure. Like Point, Explain, Analysis (in our school we use PETAL - point, example, technical term for the example, analyse it, link back to question). I think you'll be able to do the point, example bit, but the explain is the bit where you really need to become creative and focus on. Again look at examples of how people have analysed and highlight it maybe and put them into notes of HOW they've analysed etc...and try doing something similar. Practice a lot. In the revision booklets I think they have notes under themes, this will help you a lot! Look at past paper questions and put them under each theme and pick out the best quotes for the question under each theme and use them to write out your answer. When you get back to school give your teacher the question and the answer you've written for her to mark and ask her how to improve.
I hope I helped...well I just basically told you what I would do...if it doesn't help then I'm sorry >_< Hope you don't feel as stressed anymore. If you stress you won't remember the necessary things. Trust me. I stressed before my speaking exam and I flopped. so this time I'm calm and focused. Doing a little at a time. So you too try doing a little at a time. You've still got a while to go, in which you can improve. If it helps I haven't done as much revision as you I think, because I've only been focusing on my speaking this week and last week I was heavily procrastinating. But I believe in myself and hoping to finish off most/all of my revision by the end of this month coz I've given myself mini deadlines. Of course this includes past papers. So try doing the same...?
Or look at spark notes they're pretty good with their notes too!
Reply 5
Original post by kittykatieboo
but that's not for gcse. We have to remember where quotes are in WIB and write about them with points and i can't do it. I don't remember where anything is and what happens in each part of the book.

First identify the important themes of the book you're reading then try to argue that they are present in the book, taking notes of some supporting quotes. If you use the quotes in an argument and it makes sense, they'll be easier to remember.

You might be able to find some of these themes have been discussed online. This might be a useful exam revision aid (don't do it for coursework). It was when I was studying Shakespeare.

Not much more I can say really. I did my lit GCSE 4 years ago and haven't touched English since.
(edited 9 years ago)
I more or less feel the exact same way about a level literature. My parents got me a tutor about a month ago and he's helped me alot. I've been having lessons twice a week. When we discuss things i seem to grasp everything well but when it comes to me actually doing a paper i struggle immensely. I review my notes and summaries i do during lessons but i'm still struggling. It's stressing me out so much.
Reply 7
I just can't do it, i'm stressing so much. Who gives a flying **** about the woman in black? The author bores me to death and she's an awful writer. I can't write the essay because i don't know what to write and i don't know how to quote from the book because i don't know it because it just wont go in. I'm so stressed and upset, i just want to do well. Everyone's like 'oh yeah, you'll be fine' and putting this kind of pressure on me, but WHAT IF I'M NOT GOING TO DO WELL?!?! I try to tell mum i cant do it and i'm stressed, but then she's like 'you won't let me speak, you're not listening to me' of course i am it's just you're being stubborn and rude for not helping me. I have anxiety issues and i'm slightly autistic and nobody gets that, they think i'm going to fly by with all A's. Yeah, well what if i get a B? Just because i'm good at my other subjects, doesn't mean im good at doing others. Doesn't help that grandpa died last week (mum's dad) and so she's more upset than usual, and i've been really supportive for her and i've basically been a lovely person to her, but now i'm upset and stressed and she's just oblivious and thinks i'm stressing for no reason. NO I'M NOT, YOU'LL FIND OUT WHEN I GET A D IN ENGLISH LIT AND THEN YOU'LL WISH YOU DID SOMETHING TO HELP ME. I can't talk to anyone, and we're on easter holiday break. What do i do? I've emailed english teacher, but she hasn't replied. What do i do?

Try not to stress, you'll just freak yourself out more. We're doing WIB at the moment in Theatre A-level. All I can say is try and just learn the whole thing, learn the techniques and what it implies on each line, repeat, repeat, repeat, and all you can do is try your best. As long as you get a C, I would be happy with myself. Have a look at GCSE bitesize and just try to memorise it. You may surprise yourself with your result in August! :P

Sorry to hear that, you should watch Mr Bruff on youtube.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending