AS English Language and Literature - Unit 2 Section B (All My Sons)

Watch
mumble118
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Dear all,

For the Unit 2 English exam I'm doing All My Sons as the text extract, and I don't completely understand how you are meant to find another extract to compare to the one given on the paper. For instance, if the question is this:

How does Miller use representations of speech and other dramatic techniques to present the themes of truth & loyalty in the extract printed below, and in one other episode elsewhere in the play?
My English teacher says that you don't need to worry too much about this other bit, since the marks mainly come from analysing the printed extract. However, I still want to know if there's any specific way of finding a good section in the pay relevant to a question like this.

Any help would be appreciated (especially from fellow AMS students)!

-mumble118

P.S. the printed extract in the case of this question is pages 76-78 (in the Penguin copy), from "MOTHER: I think you should sit him down and you..." to "MOTHER: I know, darling, I know..."
English2014-5
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi

During a recent training course for A level teachers, the AQA trainer said the following:

Tell your students to write 3 or 4 sentences in the final paragraph (only) to refer to the 'elsewhere' episode. It doesn't have to contrast with the scene on your exam paper, but it could. If it does, you could write, e.g.

"This extract contrasts with the scene in Act x where.... (and then you explain what the contrast is).

Alternatively, you could choose a scene that has a similar tone to the one on the exam paper, and say "This extract is similar to the scene in Act x/at the end/at the beginning of the play where (and explain why it's similar).

Test yourself in advance by opening the play at a random page, reading 2 1/2 - 3 pages and then deciding which other scene you would choose as a link.

You might find it helpful to create a summary of the play on the following chart, so you can identify the changes that occur.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=th...hp%3B720%3B360

(Google: Three-Act Structure)

Good luck - you'll be fine!
mumble118
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for the help!

-mumble118
English2014-5
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mumble118)
Thanks for the help!

-mumble118

It's a pleasure. Do let me know what you think of the exam paper, in June. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (183)
43.88%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (48)
11.51%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.91%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (88)
21.1%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (41)
9.83%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (24)
5.76%

Watched Threads