Kid B
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In the textbook, particularly in Unit 2 - F212 - there is frequent detail of specific examples that aren't featured on the specification; things like the condition 'phenylketonuria' on the subject of enzyme metabolism and the enzyme 'hyaluronidase' in snake venom when talking about enzyme inhibition.

While it is possible, learning one tongue-twisting condition after another makes for infuriating revision, and I'm beginning to wonder whether knowledge of these is expected at all, or if this is just detail that puts the basic knowledge into context.

Ideally, the book would make it obvious if that was the case, but soon as it doesn't indicate any such thing, I'll ask on here instead. Is there anyone familiar enough with exam questions to allow me to focus on what needs to be learned?
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's spec points at the top of each double page spread.
Kid B
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)
There's spec points at the top of each double page spread.
I know, but sometimes they're rather vague. One, for example, says: 'Explain the importance of cofactors and coenzymes in enzyme-controlled reactions', and while I know a question could be:

'Describe how inorganic ion cofactors affect enzyme-controlled reactions'

I'm unsure as to whether a more specific question could be asked, such as:

'Describe how the enzyme amylase relies on inorganic ion cofactors to function.'

As is detailed in the book :confused:
ellieee1513
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kid B)
In the textbook, particularly in Unit 2 - F212 - there is frequent detail of specific examples that aren't featured on the specification; things like the condition 'phenylketonuria' on the subject of enzyme metabolism and the enzyme 'hyaluronidase' in snake venom when talking about enzyme inhibition.

While it is possible, learning one tongue-twisting condition after another makes for infuriating revision, and I'm beginning to wonder whether knowledge of these is expected at all, or if this is just detail that puts the basic knowledge into context.

Ideally, the book would make it obvious if that was the case, but soon as it doesn't indicate any such thing, I'll ask on here instead. Is there anyone familiar enough with exam questions to allow me to focus on what needs to be learned?
I always tend to look at the specification as my teacher said that the textbook is quite waffly in some parts but in others the revision guide is sometimes better. I usually make notes using parts of both of them. I have the CGP AS Biology Revision Guide which I find really great and its all condensed down! Have you got the spec?? Hope this helped a little
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
14.84%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.47%
I need help with my personal statement (48)
37.5%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
25.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.34%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.81%

Watched Threads