The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature AS LIT1C 15th May

Scroll to see replies

How many marks to people reckon I'd need to get in that paper if my coursework was a B? Out of 90??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Berninger1864
I am also finding the contextual bit so difficult. I don't know what counts as a similarity as the extract sure has some differences with the wider readings. So I just don't know what to classify as a similarity except differences which is ok.

As for linking it with my wider reading, it's tricky too because usually I get comments on my mocks saying the links are 'forced'.

Would anyone care to help me with some sentence starts that'd 'flow' with the extract analysis.

I'm aiming for atleast 35 marks for the extract and 35 for poetry. So any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe your teacher means the quotes your using in comparison are what is being forced and not the way you open up your sentence?

This exam is very hard, I empathise with you. I did WW1 Lit, not Identity, but nevertheless, I know how it feels.

You should have at least a few quotes that you can pick out double meanings from.

"For example, in The Colour Purple. The female character Squeak says wants to become a singer in America, so she leaves her husband to become one. In the novel, she welcomes her name change when stating "When I'm Mary Agnes, I can sing in public." This transformation name symbolizes the personal struggle she has to go through to create an identity for herself, in order to become recognized by her talent and not her dismissive name "Squeak". Therefore, the struggle of identity is challenged through name changes women create themselves in order to succeed in life. This can be compared with..."
And find another identity crisis point when another character has a name change or whatever.

It's all about how well your link is - whether your comparing your wider reading to the extract or to another wider reading. You have to get your quotes to bounce off each other, rather than force them to make contact. You can get many different interpretations from the quote I used. Just pulling the word "public" apart could suggest that women face the need to be judged in society, or they need to prove their worth to society because it is run by men. You could link that to Margret Atwood's poem "This Is a Photograph of Me" how she explains how women constantly need to be approved my men in order to gain respect and etc.

This is why it's important to read from the start of the year to the end so you can look through your wider reading and make perfect links.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending