The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL or Warwick ???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tomatochuckers
Internationally UCL is quite rightly better than Warwick, and I wouldn't only put it down to the fact it's in London.

Warwick is a great uni but doesn't compare to UCL in terms of general prestige from what I've seen, bar some select fields such as finance.

Coventry is ****.

Wouldn't say there's any difference between Warwick and UCL econ.

On a side note most ppl here who big up Warwick are Warwick students or offer-holders.

so true, they are so insecure about not getting into Imperial, Oxbridge that they resort to filling TSR with their blank praises for Warwick xD
(edited 8 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Internationally UCL is quite rightly better than Warwick, and I wouldn't only put it down to the fact it's in London.

Warwick is a great uni but doesn't compare to UCL in terms of general prestige from what I've seen, bar some select fields such as finance.

Coventry is ****.

Wouldn't say there's any difference between Warwick and UCL econ.

On a side note most ppl here who big up Warwick are Warwick students or offer-holders.

its not ****t ****t, ok well maybe it is :biggrin: i think people need to focus moreso on the uk though, internationally if youre not contemplating working abroad why would it even matter, ofc a university thats been around for 50 years would be less known right?

isnt thinking your uni is the best (esp ucl warwick and durham which imo are more or less par) the same with any uni barring lse imperial and oxbridge students...? any of those three has the claim to be the next best, unlike people here i wont say warwicks better than any of those, lse and imperial are a clear level ahead.
Reply 63
Wired

well said

But one thing about firm and ins

my son applied for
Cam/LSE/UCL/WARWICJ/BATH

All of them require A* A A

My son has firmed LSE and insured UCL

His subjects are
Maths FM Econ and History

lse only requires pass in FM

so if my sin gets A in hostory he will go to LSE as he already has early A* in maths and Econ he will def get A
So if he gets B in history and A in FM
then it will be UCL

He did not have much choice

he did not apply to any UNI which rewuires 3 A
Reply 64
Sorry for the spelling errors
Sent the above from iphone
Aplogies
Original post by AQUF42
Wired

well said

But one thing about firm and ins

my son applied for
Cam/LSE/UCL/WARWICJ/BATH

All of them require A* A A

My son has firmed LSE and insured UCL

His subjects are
Maths FM Econ and History

lse only requires pass in FM

so if my sin gets A in hostory he will go to LSE as he already has early A* in maths and Econ he will def get A
So if he gets B in history and A in FM
then it will be UCL

He did not have much choice

he did not apply to any UNI which rewuires 3 A

Hello.

If I may ask, why did your son not select Cambridge? If he wanted to go to the "best" university for Economics, then I think Cambridge would have been better.

I am not an Economist, but the tables and discussing with people, it seems that Cambridge carries the crown of being the best school for Economics. Besides that, it is Cambridge.

If there were other factors such as location, comfort and so on, then it is okay; but head to head, I think that Cambridge is Cambridge.
Reply 66
Looking at the rankings

LSE has slipped one place to 4th
MIT has taken over Harvard in 1st place
UCL has jumped 2 places and
Warwick has slipped 6 places down

Just an analytical review
LOL
Reply 67
He did not get Cambridge
Sorry did not mention that in my earlier post
They replied back saying Econ was highly competitive
Original post by Wired_1800
Hello.

If I may ask, why did your son not select Cambridge? If he wanted to go to the "best" university for Economics, then I think Cambridge would have been better.

I am not an Economist, but the tables and discussing with people, it seems that Cambridge carries the crown of being the best school for Economics. Besides that, it is Cambridge.

If there were other factors such as location, comfort and so on, then it is okay; but head to head, I think that Cambridge is Cambridge.

this parent told their son to insure ucl just to be near to them, one of those mollycoddled adult-child people.
Reply 69
Most of his friends are going Warwick as they were not confident about getting an A* in Maths
But i had to tell him not to make emotional decision as three years of Campus Life
cannot determine 30 years of career life

I feel kids are smart these days but still need to guide them

I always blame parents for not getting the best out of their kids
i mean achieving full potential which the kid has
Why is there a parent speaking on behalf of their child, that is so embarrassing and sad.
Reply 71
unwelcome

Try hard and still you will not succeed
Original post by AQUF42
He did not get Cambridge
Sorry did not mention that in my earlier post
They replied back saying Econ was highly competitive

Fair enough. Then LSE would have been the next logical choice (based on ranking)

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2015/economics-econometrics#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

Well done to him. Getting into LSE is impressive.
Reply 73
shaft

Well tried
Original post by ShafTJB
Why is there a parent speaking on behalf of their child, that is so embarrassing and sad.

something people on here are not grasping lol. extremely weird
Reply 75
Wired

Thanks and let the journey begin

All the best to you as well
Original post by ShafTJB
The world rankings are blind, they're based on where international students are most likely to go. Warwick and UCL are the same, even though Warwick is always above UCL.

Such a convenient way to just disregard rankings you personally don't agree with.

QS counts international students as like 5% of the overall scores, yet UCL and Warwick are like 50 spots apart.

Let's look at the numbers, shall we?

UCL ranks No 15 on international students with 100 marks; Warwick ranks No 35 with 98.1 marks.

Overall UCL is No 5 with 99.2 and Warwick is 61 with 78.1.

So what exactly led to the differences between the two in this global ranking?

Academic Reputation (40%): UCL is No 15 with 99.9 and Warw is No 66 with 91.2.

Employer Reputation (10%): UCL is No 22 with 99.4 and Warw is No 15 with 99.9.

Faculty student (ratio) (20%): UCL is No 35 with 99 and Warw is No 277 with 55.4.

International faculty (5%): UCL is No 59 with 96.8 and Warw is No 130 with 86.9.

The answer is clear: It has nothing, or very little with the number or diversity of international students the universities have.

Warwick is ranked significantly lower than UCL does mostly because they have a poor faculty-to-student ratio and a poorer academic reputation. They also struggle with attractive overseas academics but the difference is nowhere near significant enough with the scores it contributes to the ranking.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Such a convenient way to just disregard rankings you personally don't agree with.

QS counts international students as like 5% of the overall scores, yet UCL and Warwick are like 50 spots apart.

Let's look at the numbers, shall we?

UCL ranks No 15 on international students with 100 marks; Warwick ranks No 35 with 98.1 marks.

Overall UCL is No 5 with 99.2 and Warwick is 61 with 78.1.

So what exactly led to the differences between the two in this global ranking?

Academic Reputation (40%): UCL is No 15 with 99.9 and Warw is No 66 with 91.2.

Employer Reputation (10%): UCL is No 22 with 99.4 and Warw is No 15 with 99.9.

Faculty student (ratio) (20%): UCL is No 35 with 99 and Warw is No 277 with 55.4.

International faculty (5%): UCL is No 59 with 96.8 and Warw is No 130 with 86.9.

The answer is clear: It has nothing, or very little with the number or diversity of international students the universities have.

Warwick is ranked significantly lower than UCL does mostly because they have a poor faculty-to-student ratio and a poorer academic reputation. They also struggle with attractive overseas academics but the difference is nowhere near significant enough with the scores it contributes to the ranking.

domestically there is little to no difference whatsoever in reputation, internationally you are completely correct.
Original post by welcometoib
domestically there is little to no difference whatsoever in reputation, internationally you are completely correct.

Although it is interesting to note that Warwick does rank better in terms of employer reputation, contrary to what has been assumed.

Though of course we will also have to consider the fact that UCL has a much bigger undergraduate population and thus may have been dragged down because of that, and I'm not sure how QS calculates the score for this particular aspect (by employment rate? Graduate income?).
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Although it is interesting to note that Warwick does rank better in terms of employer reputation, contrary to what has been assumed.

Though of course we will also have to consider the fact that UCL has a much bigger undergraduate population and thus may have been dragged down because of that, and I'm not sure how QS calculates the score for this particular aspect (by employment rate? Graduate income?).

, for a fifty year old university to be trumping two london unis, one which is excellent (ucl), and one which is good(kcl), is encouraging. most warwick and ucl students would say they are par, which they are. im not sure how its calculated, warwick also has a very large population, of which many degrees are arts and humanities, which historically may not necessarily convert to great graduate roles.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending