daniel.lamch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
ok so,
My coursework consists of analysing
particle (tar and other chemicals) DEPOSITIONImage from 3 types of cigarettes: regular, smooth and menthol.
This was later compared with the particle DEPOSITIONImage when the filters of each cigarette have been cut off. The results turned out to show a nice pattern, however, I am having trouble with the quantitative analysis of my data! i'm not sure how to show correlation between particle deposition and absence of a filter quantitatively. I also need to show correlation in particle deposition in terms of the type of cigarette smoked. Any suggestions? I would appreciate it greatly! Thanks in advance
daniel.lamch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
no one? really? haha please i'm really desperate
samyz123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, sounds like a nice complex experiment you have there! Im also doing my A2 biology coursework and i understand the deadline is soon. Quantitative analysis when contrasting two graphs is somewhat difficult in that you're chosen independent variable is not numerical. I suggest a less mathematical approach, perhaps bar charts for both filtered, and non filtered, cigarettes with a bar to represent the average particle deposition for each cigarette type. X axis variable will be categorical rather than numerical so the common Spearman, Pearson or Mann-Whitney U statistical tests are inapplicable. The only real statistic consideration i can think of is to simply calculate the % difference in particle depositions (contrasting same type-differant filter, and differant type-same filter) and consider whether these percentage changes are relevant (I.E 2% change is likely due to random variation whereas a 60% change is almost certainly due to the independent variable). I hope i helped and sorry if i caused any confusion!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (217)
74.57%
No (74)
25.43%

Watched Threads