The Student Room Group

A/A* Revision Technique: Pomodoro Technique

Scroll to see replies

Why is it called the Pomorodo Method? What feature does it share with a tomato?

With that having been said, I'm all too keen to try it tomorrow with my revision.
Original post by flibber

With that having been said, I'm all too keen to try it tomorrow with my revision.

Idk, the whole fancy website and tomato obsession does confuse me, but anyhow at least it seems to pay off.
Original post by okuyombenya
Do you study Spanish too?!

Night classes at beginner level started about three months ago haha!
Original post by IzzySuperman
I literally have a whole shelf in my room dedicated to the revision stuff, all organised into subjects. Then in the morning I will plan my pomodoro order then grab all the stuff for all the subjects before starting. You can use the break to switch books around, but it shouldn't take too long, most subjects only need one revision guide and a workbook, maybe a class book.

Haha, same with the shelving thing - just my dividers are slowly dying and takes forever to get out what i want without having an explosion of paper. :colondollar:

I wish :biggrin: My biology consists of 3 lever arch folders, three revision guides/textbook things, and a stack of questions and past papers. My teacher is ridiculously paranoid what can I say...

I guess your method works for you - I'll try it but with longer work periods (say 40 minutes) :smile:
Original post by turn-to-page394
Haha, same with the shelving thing - just my dividers are slowly dying and takes forever to get out what i want without having an explosion of paper. :colondollar:

I wish :biggrin: My biology consists of 3 lever arch folders, three revision guides/textbook things, and a stack of questions and past papers. My teacher is ridiculously paranoid what can I say...

I guess your method works for you - I'll try it but with longer work periods (say 40 minutes) :smile:

Sounds good. Blimey, I feel my collection is small!
Gonna be trying this out tomorrow :'D

Thanks for it!

Btw what do you do in the breaks for 5 mins?
Original post by flibber

The guy who first used it in the 1980s, Francesco Cirillo, used a tomato-shaped kitchen timer. The more you know! :smile:

[INDENT]I'm a A/A* targeted student, and recently I have adopted the Pomodoro Technique and guys you really need to try it out. Research shows that our attention span drops dramatically after 30mins, so this technique is really good for boosting your grades. Before I started, I wasted probably hours every day procrastinating during my revision after getting bored. The technique is a fancy way of saying "take breaks" but I find it useful because it makes you work hard as you know you have a break coming up, and it seriously boosts productivity. For example, today I have studied:

50 mins of Geography.
25mins of religion.
50 mins of Chemistry.
25 mins of Music.
50 mins of Maths.
50 mins of German.
25 mins of English.
25 mins of Physics.
25 mins of Latin.
25 mins of History.

The technique is basically:

25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
20 mins rest

Repeat.
thanks i shall try this and may be i shall get a/a*'s like you .(HOPEFULLY)

25mins of religion.

lol.

I'll try this now :smile: thanks
Original post by Samistrawberry
Gonna be trying this out tomorrow :'D

Thanks for it!

Btw what do you do in the breaks for 5 mins?

In the rest period I have a drink, have a stretch or a piece of toast. Maybe set up different books or get my laptop charger. No problem!
In the rest period I have a drink, have a stretch or a piece of toast. Maybe set up different books or get my laptop charger. No problem!

I have a flaw with this system 😂
Reply 32
Thank you so much :ta::ta::ta:
Original post by Kamil3
Thank you so much :ta::ta::ta:

No probs! :biggrin:

No, quantity isn't quality :wink: I'm sure your notes are great. :smile:
(I just have a weird need to write out everything again... :biggrin:)
x

:woo: I love the Pomodoro Technique - it got me through university :bl: It is great :biggrin:

If anyone's worried 25 minutes is too long to concentrate, you can start off at 15 minutes and then build it up. :smile:

There are some great apps out there to help you set goals and keep to the timer. :woo:

Happy revision everyone :h:
Reply 36
I definitely recommend this technique! I've been doing it for ages now. But instead of 20 min break I take a half an hour break.

You don't even feel the need to get distracted because you already know that you can be distracted in the 5 minute break! I just love it :biggrin:
Original post by FinFlanders
The guy who first used it in the 1980s, Francesco Cirillo, used a tomato-shaped kitchen timer. The more you know! :smile:

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Toy Soldiers
Hi there,

I'm an A-Level student so I hope you don't mind me entering your thread.

I absolutely love the Pomodoro technique and I urge anyone to try it out. I use this site: http://www.marinaratimer.com/ to help set the Pomodoro timer and you can customise it to fit your needs.

One suggestion to make this technique even better is to add a section where you review your revised material. Therefore, I've dropped my revising time down by 5 minutes and adding 5 minutes after my break to review the material that I revised previously. For example:

1. Revise Computing for 20 minutes
2. 5 minute Break
3. Review revised material for Computing for 5 minutes.
4. Rinse and repeat.

Hope this helps and good luck with your GCSEs! :smile:

As you are an A level student, do u think starting revision 28 days before exams is the best thing for someone who's expected 7 A*s..
Original post by sumi99
As you are an A level student, do u think starting revision 28 days before exams is the best thing for someone who's expected 7 A*s..

Yes! The earlier the better. Don't leave it last minute if you want to guarantee getting your expected grades. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest